post #1 of 15 Old 09-22-2014, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OEM Heated grips...

I presume these are available now?
Anyone buy them and if so, what cost?

Did anyone get them installed at the dealer and if so how much did they charge?

..I do all my own work but the instructions look a tad intimidating for me with the glue and all. The tech that assembled me bike did an awesome job (old timer too, not some doofus high school kid)...so I was thinking of having him install these.

Thanks...
Hanadarko

-
CTX1300 = 3rd bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-22-2014, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
I got them and had the dealer install them. Couple of hundred bucks I think, not more than $300 to install. I just had them roll it into my deal as I got the grips as part of my $1000 in free accessories.

I had also read the instructions, and likewise just didn't feel like messing with it. I installed the tall windshield, luggage rack, and most recently the rear trunk myself, but the crap with the glue and letting it set overnight, I figured let them do it. I timed it with my 600 mile first service and just let them do it all and have my bike for a few days while I was away on a business trip.

Jeff
hanadarko likes this.

2014 CTX1300 Deluxe in Ion Blue Metallic

States visited on my CTX:
post #3 of 15 Old 09-23-2014, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
They came on mine here in Canada......first time I've had them on a bike and I'm really liking having them....only had them on snowmobiles before......

Croxy......

2014 Honda CTX Blue Deluxe #37
2010 HD Ultra
2005 Kawasaki Nomad
2001 HD Road Glide
1996 Yamaha VStar
1984 Honda V30 Magna
1982 Honda CM250 Custom

post #4 of 15 Old 09-23-2014, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I ordered them. $231. Couldn't wrestle them any further. List is $275 I think.
They arrived today.
Dealership sold me some Honda Pro Grip glue and solvent (spray) to deal with removal and install.

I have reviewed these directions and since I've already had the bike torn all the way down I figured this can't be that much harder....not sure when I will get to it but I will let this thread know. I won't be doing a step by step or pics cause the directions are very clear and straight forward.

The glue and timing is what worries me. The dealer said it isn't any big thing.
I'd have them do it but there is just something about doing things yourself (besides saving money) that just feels right.

-
CTX1300 = 3rd bike
post #5 of 15 Old 09-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanadarko View Post
I ordered them. $231. Couldn't wrestle them any further. List is $275 I think.
They arrived today.
Dealership sold me some Honda Pro Grip glue and solvent (spray) to deal with removal and install.

I have reviewed these directions and since I've already had the bike torn all the way down I figured this can't be that much harder....not sure when I will get to it but I will let this thread know. I won't be doing a step by step or pics cause the directions are very clear and straight forward.

The glue and timing is what worries me. The dealer said it isn't any big thing.
I'd have them do it but there is just something about doing things yourself (besides saving money) that just feels right.
Good luck. I had to cut the stock grips off, and I absolutely would not want to have to mess with putting them back on.

However ... I thought I saw someone here say that the Honda grip cement needs to set overnight (and I seem to recall that being the case doing this job on another bike some time ago). Which means you have a lot of time to get the grips on, and in fact the cement almost acts as a lubricant while it's still wet, which you're going to need to get those things on.

One suggestion: on the throttle side, be careful to put the glue only on the throttle tube, not on the grip itself. It might make it harder to slide it on at first, but it will save you from getting any of that goop between the throttle tube and the handlebar.
hanadarko likes this.

Ed

"Valar Morghulis."
post #6 of 15 Old 09-25-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Picked up everything last night.
The throttle grip comes with the throttle tube PRE-INSTALLED.

The only thing that needs gluing is the left side.
This took 3/4 of the concern out of this job that I had.

sleepngbear and jeffz like this.

-
CTX1300 = 3rd bike
post #7 of 15 Old 09-26-2014, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So its all installed. Had some issues with the throttle cables (remove/reinstall) but other than that, it went smooth. I don't know how the dealer charges only 1hr for this work but while I'm glad I did this on my own....I don't think they have done one of these yet. I don't see this possible to do within 1 hour.

The left grip still kinda isn't solid (been 8hrs) but I will let it sit overnight.

I put the glue on (all around as indicated and THIN) let it set for 3mins and then slid the grip on using the glue as lubricant. You don't put glue on the last 1" towards the center of the handle bars.

I didn't over do it but not sure what I will do it if isn't rock solid come morning. It's been 70s here today so temp is fine.
sleepngbear likes this.

-
CTX1300 = 3rd bike
post #8 of 15 Old 09-27-2014, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanadarko View Post
(...)I don't know how the dealer charges only 1hr for this work but while I'm glad I did this on my own....I don't think they have done one of these yet. I don't see this possible to do within 1 hour.(...)
There is a huge difference between doing something you've done before (or been shown before) and figuring out how to do something for the first time. When I had the Venture, I used to scare people with how quick I could do things that you'd expect to take much longer -- but I had two service manuals and was so familiar with the bike, I could tell where every nut and bolt was without looking at them.

The Honda instructions to the dealer probably assume proper training was previously delivered to the mechanics, in which case 1h for installing the heated grips is more than enough time.

@Dexter

1997 Yamaha Virago XV535 blue/white (gifted to my brother when I left the country, photo)
2011 Harley-Davidson Sportster SuperLow XL883L black (sold back to the dealer, photo)
2001 Yamaha Royal Star Venture XVZ13TF light metallic green/dark green (traded in for the CTX, story, photo)
2014 Honda CTX1300 black (current ride, photo)
post #9 of 15 Old 09-27-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did pay 275.99 for the heated grips and had the dealer install them ( I have limited use of my hands so my serious wrenching days are behind me now). Good news is I can still ride. The heated grips include a multi-stage (4 or 5 settings) switch and seem to work pretty well. I have only used them once early morning in Kalispell MT when I picked up the bike. I had heated grips on a BMW K bike in 1986 in the Denver area and they were really effective on cold morning rides to work.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-27-2014, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I too had my grips rolled into my deal and they work great with 5 settings .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page