bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
The broken tab story

A number of owners here have reported a problem with the battery cover not fitting right after taking it off, or even from day one of picking up their bikes. I also have this problem but I was able to get the panel to at least fit right with a little extra care with a flat screw driver to hold the rear tab on the middle cowl up while snapping in the battery cover. This tab is what I think is the whole problem with that area. Honda did not design it strong enough to withstand the forces needed to snap the battery cover back in.
Here is a photo of the broken tab:
100_4362

I contacted my dealer at Storm Lake Honda and they ordered and sent me (on warranty) a new panel that just arrived today. They also included a pre-paid return UPS label to return the bad middle cowl.

Well, I opened the box and unwrapped the part and found that the "new" part also has a broken tab, exactly the same as the original!

Using the pre-paid label to return their "new" part and asking to try again. Maybe this time inspect the part before sending to ensure that tab isn't broken from the factory? We'll see what happens next.

I like that they were willing to send the replacement part with a return label considering the size of the box. But, then again, I would expect that of a good dealer. I know the broken tab is not the dealer's fault so will continue dealing with this dealer even though they are 2-1/2 hours away. Makes for a nice ride if I have to go there. Was considering delivering the returning part personally if they had not included the return label. Hoping Honda is watching this and considers beefing up that tab.

Most of the problem is that the battery cover gets pushed down from the top and nothing is under the tab to support it so the cover never really snaps in to stay put as it should. I used a standard screw driver but could also use a thin narrow pry bar to hold the tab while snapping in the clip and then it will stay as it should... until the next time.

I am considering that if Honda cannot provide an unbroken part, and even if they do, I might coat that tab with JB Weld on both sides to reinforce it and still use a thin pry tool to help snap in the clip there. There are 2 tabs on the outboard side for the cover and the problem tab is the rearward one. The front tab seems to be well designed to hold when the cover is snapped in.

The Storm Lake Honda service tech was certain the problem was with the middle cowl and he is right. I think that tab just needs a redesign.

Here you can see how my panel fits (just below the GPS)
100_4374
Jimmytootall and robert like this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- traded
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489- primary transportation
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 212 Old 06-04-2014, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
I had the mechanic line up all of my plastic yesterday while he did the 4000 mile service. My mirrors look better now, but the battery cover is still riding up.

The service manager says all of the touring bikes are getting like this. It makes his job harder.

Ken Smith
Corbin, Kentucky
2017 Indian Scout
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
post #3 of 212 Old 06-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I have the same issue, but my dealer wasn't aware of it being a common problem. I am going to have them order a replacement part in time for my 4000 mile service. It seems like it is bound to happen again, though, considering how common the issue is.

post #4 of 212 Old 06-04-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Bad on honda's part, they should make parts like that thicker as they do take on some tension, best to build them stronger.
bob and Crableg like this.
post #5 of 212 Old 06-04-2014, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Garage
I definitely had this issue after I opened the cover to install some electrical stuff. It did not get fixed until I took the bike into the dealer to have the taller windshield installed. The tech managed to get the cover back on so that it fits properly. I was REALLY upset that it stuck up above the surface about 1/4" and looked terrible. Now I am afraid to open that cover again. Personally I think they should do a recall and replace all of those covers with ones that have reinforced tabs.
Vic and OneMileAttaTime like this.

Steve

1986 Yamaha Radian (long gone)
1987 Honda Gold Wing Interstate, 1200cc (sold in 2005)
2006 Honda Shadow Sabre, 1100cc (traded in)
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe, black (S/N 411)
post #6 of 212 Old 06-04-2014, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
bob
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
They need to redesign the middle cowl and specifically that tab. The problem isn't the battery cover but the tab it snaps into. Once I held the tab up with a slender lever that would slip between the cover and storage box while snapping that clip in place it will stay just fine. The problem IS that most service techs don't realize this is how it needs to be done and just push the cover on, and that bends the tab even more, possibly breaking it even more.

Since the new part I received had that tab broken from the factory I really wonder what is going on with that. I don't believe the techs are breaking the tab initially but that maybe a few are compensating for an already broken tab, those would be the ones fitting the cover so it stays right.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
post #7 of 212 Old 06-05-2014, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Discovered this same issue with mine upon returning home from AR with the new bike. Contacted the dealer and they sent me a whole new piece as well.

Jeff
post #8 of 212 Old 06-05-2014, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a pic of what mine looked like. A bit different.

Thanks,
Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140505_111900_364.jpg (201.9 KB, 556 views)
post #9 of 212 Old 06-10-2014, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
bob
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Received email from Cory at Storm Lake Honda today. They received another new middle cowl from Honda and they inspected it before sending it to me. It also had the broken tab same as my original. They contacted Honda about it and have yet another on order for me. That part is currently on back order until after June 17. I guess Honda should be realizing about now they need to do something about that part... I hope.

In the mean time I am OK with it as long I don't take it apart very often so I am waiting on installing a few things until I get a good panel to put on the bike. The battery cover is staying put for now so don't want to disturb it.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
post #10 of 212 Old 06-14-2014, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have this issue but not the same.

When I took off the inner panel (as its called) to disassemble the bike, when I put it back on, I couldn't get it to stay flat. Thats the same issue YOU guys have but there is an exception:

My tabs (on the middle cowl) are NOT broken and the inner panel snaps into these just fine.

The little teeny tabs on the edge of the inner panel arent seeming to 'catch' correctly to the edge of the middle panel, even when encouraged by a small plastic jewelers flat tool.

I eventually got it to sit flat but I think the 1st bump I hit, the rear side (facing the gas cap) will pop back out.

So, my issue isnt the broken tabs as Bob showed but something else.
The teeny tabs arent broken..so Im not sure whats going on.

The new inner panels are like $14 each so I might just get another one and try it.

-
CTX1300 = 3rd bike

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page