61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 137 Old 09-01-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Custom Exhaust?

So I was wondering how I could remove the Catalytic Converters for more sound..... I do not want to mess with my exhaust so I considered buying some used from Ebay. This is when I noticed that each side has a vent port. I assume this is where the whistling sound comes from?

So my idea is to buy a used set and have my local muffler shop bypass the Cat. I just don't know what the ports are for and if I could seal them off. Any ideas?

Thanks

Red CTX1300 Standard
Previous Bikes:
2009 V Star 1300
2013 Suzuki SFV650
2013 Yamaha FZ8 (wheelie machine)
2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650 (great bike)
2000 Suzuki Katana 600
1996 Honda CBR1000F
1992 Kawasaki EX500 (my second fall)
1984 Suzuki GS450 (my first fall)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 137 Old 09-01-2016, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Garage
The Exhaust Pipes and Cat are an assembly. Good pics at parzilla.com. If you remove the Cat the Engine is going to be Lean, you'll have to add a Fuel Controler to Richen the Mixture as to not Damage the Engine. A muffler shop could Fab pipes to remove the Cat but a long Drill Bit into the muffler baffles might get you some Exhaust Sound without changing the Mixture too much. Good Luck!

"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.
And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Major Michael Davis O'Donnell
post #3 of 137 Old 10-03-2016, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGRChaplain View Post
The Exhaust Pipes and Cat are an assembly. Good pics at parzilla.com. If you remove the Cat the Engine is going to be Lean, you'll have to add a Fuel Controler to Richen the Mixture as to not Damage the Engine. A muffler shop could Fab pipes to remove the Cat but a long Drill Bit into the muffler baffles might get you some Exhaust Sound without changing the Mixture too much. Good Luck!
Why would it go lean ? The O2 sensor is before the cat and that is where it samples the burn to apply appropriate fuel.

I speak from car experience, alot of it. I run catless and my car has adapted itself just fine.

post #4 of 137 Old 10-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckrzy1 View Post
Why would it go lean ? The O2 sensor is before the cat and that is where it samples the burn to apply appropriate fuel.

I speak from car experience, alot of it. I run catless and my car has adapted itself just fine.
Honda likes to tune their bikes very lean from the factory. The very real concern is that if you do anything that might lean it out even more, it will be more than the ECU can adjust for. I ran into exactly that when I added a low restriction exhaust and an intake on my VTX1800. It ran like crap (a LOT of hesitation giving it throttle, especially off idle) until I added a fuel manager, and then it ran better than new. I'm pretty sure that will be the same case with the CTX.
kniterider likes this.

Ed

"Valar Morghulis."
post #5 of 137 Old 10-03-2016, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckrzy1 View Post

The ECM Operates under set Parameters from the Factory. When you remove Restriction, Re. the Cat, that is Outside the limits of the Factory Fuel Management. If the Factory ECM Compensated there would be no market for Fuel Controlers. Your removing the Cat on a car with no bad results does not mean its OK. When you do that the ECM needs Flashed to compensate. I have some Automotive experience also, Crew Chief on Top Alcohol Dragsters & Funny Cars for 11+ Years. I've been Drag Racing since 1966.
Bladez240 likes this.

"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.
And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Major Michael Davis O'Donnell
post #6 of 137 Old 10-03-2016, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I was thinking of popping a couple of 1/2" holes in the back of the muffler to get a little more sound. I did this on a GL1800 goldwing a few years back and it did the trick.When I wanted quiet I put a couple of plugs in there.

Let's see if this bike holds my attention for more than a year!!
post #7 of 137 Old 10-03-2016, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGRChaplain View Post
The ECM Operates under set Parameters from the Factory. When you remove Restriction, Re. the Cat, that is Outside the limits of the Factory Fuel Management. If the Factory ECM Compensated there would be no market for Fuel Controlers. Your removing the Cat on a car with no bad results does not mean its OK. When you do that the ECM needs Flashed to compensate. I have some Automotive experience also, Crew Chief on Top Alcohol Dragsters & Funny Cars for 11+ Years. I've been Drag Racing since 1966.
Glad you did not say nascar, they just dicovered FI , something cars have had for decades. Still I do not think the factory ECM would have any issues adjusting fuel. A lack of back pressure should have very little impact on air to fuel ratio. IMO. I do have a tune and have been tuning cars for decades , my current ride is turbo and removing the CAT greatly improved spool time and available boost, running up to 26 pounds right now on one map, around town I am running 22 pounds with 93oct. And my only limiting factor now is available fuel pressure maxing at 2400PSI.

As for fuel controllers, I believe there only function is to get a richer mixture as the vehicles today are run as lean as possible to reduce emissions. But without a means to run a wideband with my laptop I would not know what the bike is doing or how well, so I do not plan to alter my CTX.

And if youre that old, I bought my trans am here in Dallas from Gene Snow , Gene the "snowman". My first 1/4 mile pass was in the 1982 in Hawaii.
post #8 of 137 Old 10-04-2016, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
If you remove the CATS please keep us posted. I could see that route working out with the FI controller. Would sound **** nice too.

Life is too short for traffic.
**2014 deluxe / red candy
post #9 of 137 Old 10-04-2016, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I'd rather go quieter... So if I tacked on a second cat, would that work?
psullam likes this.

Chris

1973 Honda CL100
1974 Kawasaki Mach I 250
1988 Honda VF750C "Super" Magna (gone but not forgotten)
1999 Honda VF750C Magna (passed on to my son)
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe SN 269
post #10 of 137 Old 10-04-2016, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
This is the quietest machine i've ever ridden. If you want quieter you could always buy one of the Zero bikes. Electric! :-)

Life is too short for traffic.
**2014 deluxe / red candy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page