41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 Old 08-03-2014, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Shifting issues revisited...

I haven't heard much chatter about this in awhile and thought I'd toss my $.02 in again.

I have had a recurring issue with 1-2 shift and ending up in Neutral. I have given up trying to figure that out.

A few things I have noticed as I reach 1000 miles on this bike.

1. After the 1st oil change I noticed shifting actually got WORSE.
I did use real motorcycle oil (synthetic of course) and the correct grade.

Shifting feels notch and un-smooth as it was prior to the 1st oil change.
I also notice now, I am missing the higher shift (10% of the time) as some of you have been mentioning.

Anytime I changed my oil in my last bike (Suzuki V-Strom DL1000) shifting always improved and felt nice and smooth.

...I am at a loss here. It's been in the upper 80s here and the engine is always hot, but shifting stinks even first starting out. I am debating trying a thicker oil since the service manual claims a different viscosity can be used based on climate. It doesn't forbid one SAE weight vs another. Just recommends 10w-30 as a normal oil.

Wondering if anyone has any input in this. I can't stand a notchy gearbox.

PGRChaplain likes this.

-
CTX1300 = 3rd bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 08-03-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
You must have some kind of a problem my bike shifts great and has from day one
post #3 of 68 Old 08-03-2014, 10:21 AM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Garage
Next oil change try dino oil and not synthetic. From what I've been reading here it seems many have put in synthetic of various viscosities/grades and now have shifting problems. My experience after the first oil change is that shifting remained the same. I rarely miss the 1-2 shift (maybe 4-5 times at the most in the last 1800 miles) and have never missed the other shifts higher up. I used Chevron Havoline 10w-30 dino oil (red bottle, NOT resource or energy conserving). At the time this was the only oil at Walmart I could find that matched exactly the specs Honda recommended other than the JASO. It was, however, SN so that is equivalent.
hanadarko likes this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- traded
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489- primary transportation
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.

post #4 of 68 Old 08-03-2014, 10:59 AM
bob
Super Moderator

Garage
This is what I used, except mine is 10w-30. 5qt bottle. Labelled as for High Mileage vehicles. Only stuff I could find on the shelf (at the time) that did not state resource or energy conserving. I am thinking more and more that last part is most important in this engine. Also this oil cost less than most other oils that I have used in the past. This bottle is just the right amount for the oil/filter change. I ended up with about a quarter of a quart left!

hanadarko likes this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
post #5 of 68 Old 08-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanadarko View Post
A few things I have noticed as I reach 1000 miles on this bike.

1. After the 1st oil change I noticed shifting actually got WORSE.
Although my issue is still mostly between 4-5, I also noticed that it got worse after the first oil change. In fact it only started happening after the first oil change -- It never happened before that. It's very strange that sometimes, no matter how hard I kick it up, it just does not want to go all the way into gear. Downshifting, I barely need to touch it and it slides right in; upshifting sometimes is just a chore. It does take some of the joy out of riding when I have to consciously think about how I'm shifting -- haven't had that on any of my last 3 or 4 bikes. I'm definitely going to bring it up when it goes in for the 4000 mile service, and I'll ask that they don't put in synthetic oil as well. And I'll see if they can adjust the shifter pedal down about 1/2" or so, too -- I still think that could have something to do with it. I had a similar issue years ago on another bike after I changed the seat, and adjusting the pedal eliminated it.
hanadarko and Lighter like this.

Ed

"Valar Morghulis."
post #6 of 68 Old 08-03-2014, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepngbear View Post
Although my issue is still mostly between 4-5, I also noticed that it got worse after the first oil change. In fact it only started happening after the first oil change -- It never happened before that. It's very strange that sometimes, no matter how hard I kick it up, it just does not want to go all the way into gear. Downshifting, I barely need to touch it and it slides right in; upshifting sometimes is just a chore. It does take some of the joy out of riding when I have to consciously think about how I'm shifting -- haven't had that on any of my last 3 or 4 bikes. I'm definitely going to bring it up when it goes in for the 4000 mile service, and I'll ask that they don't put in synthetic oil as well. And I'll see if they can adjust the shifter pedal down about 1/2" or so, too -- I still think that could have something to do with it. I had a similar issue years ago on another bike after I changed the seat, and adjusting the pedal eliminated it.
These comments nailed it but....

...I guess I will wait and see what your dealer says.

-
CTX1300 = 3rd bike
post #7 of 68 Old 08-03-2014, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
I'm running Honda HP4 oil and I still see the 1N2 problem a few times per week.

I have noticed a hard stop in N sometimes. The lever is at the top and will not move any further, yet the bike is in N instead of 2. The only way to get to 2 is to release the pressure on the lever and do it again. This happens on both bikes.

It occurred a few times on the red bike before I did the initial oil change. And it's happened one time after the oil change.

I've not had any issues in the higher gears. My second ST1100 used to hop out of fifth a few times per year. My 2012 Gold Wing did it a couple of times. I ran HP4 in those bikes also.

My blue bike seemed to run less smooth after the first oil change. One thing I've noticed on both bikes is that the engines felt smoother with the shorty windshields. I don't know if that's real or just that my senses are a bit overwhelmed when I use the shorty.

Ken Smith
Corbin, Kentucky
2017 Indian Scout
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
post #8 of 68 Old 08-03-2014, 01:56 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeSmith View Post
I'm running Honda HP4 oil and I still see the 1N2 problem a few times per week...
Do you use the Gold bottle? That is a synthetic blend. I still am wondering if any amount of synthetic is bad for this transmission. Any synthetic is a bit more slippery than regular dino oil. Even Honda's own documentation on their oils states that their synthetic has "lower fluid friction" than dino oils.
The HP4S is full synthetic and is much slipperier than dino oils. Good for racing and high stress per Honda's own recommendation. Implied is not quite so good for street/touring.
HP4M is a synthetic blend and has Moly, a friction modifier that is bad for the clutch. DON'T USE THIS OIL IN THE CTX. Only good use for this oil is in very high stress operation... lots of redline and lugging.
GN4 is full dino oil and may be the preferred choice for our CTX bikes if the vast majority of riding is commuting, street, low stress.

Was reading in this document from Honda. I know it was written in 2009 but should not be much different than now.

I really wonder what oil the dealers use. I am betting they stick with ONE oil for all their oil changes in all the bikes they service. Probably the HP4 gold bottle. For sure which ever one costs them less.

I've used full synthetic in all my bikes in the last 15 years but from what I am reading here I think for this bike I'll stick to the Chevron Havoline High Mileage 10w-30 or 5w-30 (for winter time) in the red bottle as I showed above.
I've also had the 1-2 shift to N in all my bikes. But that has happened only once or twice a month of constant every day riding, same as with my CTX.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
post #9 of 68 Old 08-03-2014, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeSmith View Post

I have noticed a hard stop in N sometimes. The lever is at the top and will not move any further, yet the bike is in N instead of 2. The only way to get to 2 is to release the pressure on the lever and do it again. This happens on both bikes.
This couldn't describe my issue any better.

...I kinda have to shift twice to go from 1 into 2 more often than not.

In defense of the oil, I did have this issue prior to my 1st oil change.
It has become WORSE since then and the gearbox feels notchy now.

I am using 100% Motorcycle oil (albeit synthetic).

-
CTX1300 = 3rd bike
post #10 of 68 Old 08-03-2014, 06:08 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Garage
The oil spec issue was bothering me to the point I just had to look it up in the service manual. The OWNERS manual really doesn't say what Honda oil to use other than the JASO T 903 spec, grade MA. The SERVICE manual states on page 3-10 the same for the JASO spec/grade and also specifically recommends Honda GN4 oil. It does say "or equivalent" but I'm still not convinced synthetic is indicated here with the shifting getting worse after the first oil change for some of you. Honda HP4 is not mentioned. Again, I'd find out what oil the dealer is putting in these bikes. This one may be much more picky about it.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1998 Honda ST1100- sold

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page