LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 176 Old 01-05-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Western USA CTX Gathering 2017

Ok, I'm pointing fingers. I need a long distance ride from Alabama, BUT I'd enjoy meeting up with a few CTXers.
Anyone want to step up and get a gathering started for the western USA?
I'm getting cabin fever.
Had a good gathering for the east, and it was short order. For long distance riders, it needs to be set with date(s) and location early at the least
so we can plan time off, plan routes, etc.
Lots of riders in Tx and Ca. Somewhere like Colorado....maybe Silverton?
There or south would be a good day or 1.5 day ride for most in the west.
Further north would be 2 days travel there and 2 back for the majority of westerners. (judging just from pins on the map)
Anything betwixt these 2 states (N & S) is like motorcycle heaven (at least for me)
Maybe Molas Lake? ( @psullam back yard? )
I'm sure some from our east coast could plan a couple week vacation for a ride like this.
IF anyone west would step up, I bet @HansenCTX (told ya I was pointing fingers) would be willing to give a little logistical support? (patches? Group ride questions? etc.)

--Larry--
You can sit back in a Lazy Boy and watch TV OR get on a motorcycle seat and watch the world go by.
Google Photos............Flickr Photos ...............(2014 CTX1300D-Black delivered Oct 30, 2014)

Last edited by bob; 01-08-2017 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added year to title per pm request
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 176 Old 01-06-2017, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I grew up in Western Colorado (currently in North East Florida) I highly recommend you hit Moab, Arches and 4 corners area. Rider be warned out west is BIG and not nearly as condensed as the East seems to be. I have done a 700 mile trip over a weekend and never left the state of Colorado.

I hope this pans out for the western state folks.

Dan
OneMileAttaTime likes this.
post #3 of 176 Old 01-06-2017, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I,m with you Willjabar. Been to colo. twice on the CTX, Montrose, Estes Park area. Right now looking at a trip to Terlingua Tx and 3sisters area end of Feb. See STowners forum fof info. Been there before and its a good area for that time of year.

Otto

post #4 of 176 Old 01-06-2017, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willajabir View Post
Ok, I'm pointing fingers. I need a long distance ride from Alabama, BUT I'd enjoy meeting up with a few CTXers.
Anyone want to step up and get a gathering started for the western USA?
I'm getting cabin fever....
Somewhere like Colorado....maybe Silverton?
I dont want to step forward but maybe I'll be the one who stands in place and everyone else steps backwards!

I just happen to be planning a 9 day trip to Colorado in late June/early July (dates not set though), so I am already liking the idea of Colorado. Meeting up with other CTX'rs would be great! I have been all around the 4 corners area on a bike, but the farthest I got into Colorado was Durango...the fear of sticking snow prevented me from going further (October in Colorado is not the same as October in California!). So not having been there, I am not really familiar with potential gathering options in the area. I will say that Molas Lake looked extremely enticing , but for those of us that are not campers (me), Silverton only has a few 7-10 room inns, so it may be an issue for a group event. Telluride?

If there is anyone with serious interest in a Western US gathering around SW Colorado in early summer, please make yourself known! Other thoughts?

Stirling
HansenCTX and Merrickm like this.

1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe (traded)
1982 Honda CB900F (stolen)
1980 Kawasaki 750LTD (traded)
1982 Yamaha XV920R (traded)
1987 Harley Heritage Softail (traded)
1983 Yamaha Seca 900 (sold)
2002 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura (sold)
2014 Honda CTX 1300
post #5 of 176 Old 01-06-2017, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Anywhere in Colorado or nearby Utah/New Mexico it's good for me.
I'm located in North Colorado near Boulder but I'm not familiar with the SW Colorado or camping locations.

Paul S.
--------------------------
1985 Kawasaki 450LTD
1988 Honda VF750C "Super Magna"
1992 Yamaha Virago 250
1994 Yamaha FJ1200ABS
2000 Suzuki Burgman 400
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2004 Kawasaki Concours 1000
2015 Honda CTX700 manual shift
2015 Honda CTX1300 D
post #6 of 176 Old 01-07-2017, 01:24 PM

Been all over Colo. many times. Especially like the area west of Loveland along Rt34 , into Estes Park an up through Rocky Mtn. State Park, one of the premiere alpine roads in the country. The area along Rt 14 from Ft Collins west to Walden, and some of the connecting roads are spectacular. Great camping outside of Loveland with unlimited motels in loveland . I know this area well and have guided motorcyclists through the area several times.Great trout fishing also.
psullam and OneMileAttaTime like this.

Otto
post #7 of 176 Old 01-07-2017, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurider78 View Post
Been all over Colo. many times. Especially like the area west of Loveland along Rt34 , into Estes Park an up through Rocky Mtn. State Park, one of the premiere alpine roads in the country. The area along Rt 14 from Ft Collins west to Walden, and some of the connecting roads are spectacular. Great camping outside of Loveland with unlimited motels in loveland . I know this area well and have guided motorcyclists through the area several times.Great trout fishing also.
That's exactly where I done most of the 12K miles with my CTX
Most of those roads are doable from May to October

Paul S.
--------------------------
1985 Kawasaki 450LTD
1988 Honda VF750C "Super Magna"
1992 Yamaha Virago 250
1994 Yamaha FJ1200ABS
2000 Suzuki Burgman 400
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2004 Kawasaki Concours 1000
2015 Honda CTX700 manual shift
2015 Honda CTX1300 D
post #8 of 176 Old 01-07-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psullam View Post
That's exactly where I done most of the 12K miles with my CTX
Most of those roads are doable from May to October
I'm thinking June/July' but during the week, weekends get to crowded especially in Rocky Mtn Nat Park. Are you familar with the Riverview campground on rt 34 just outside of Loveland? Would make a great spot to do loop rides from. The ride up Stovepipe rd. to Masonville and on to rt.14 is one of my favorites , then through the Narrows to Cammeron pass is great and never any traffic.Great lunch stops at Teds place and Glen Echo in Rustic. Great trout catching just up the road! Sure do love that area.

Otto
post #9 of 176 Old 01-07-2017, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Black Hills, South Dakota....but I am biased cause I live here and think it's the most wonderful motorcycling in the US. Oh, and I don't own a CTX yet so my vote probably shouldn't count. Just don't plan during the Sturgis Rally....the worst time to visit here IMHO.
post #10 of 176 Old 01-07-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
What about it @Stirling ? Northern Colorado ?
You could still visit Telluride and then ride on up to Loveland.
I've not ridden that area before. I have ridden the SW of Colorado.
Seems like these Florida guys like the northern part. Probably that Florida sun done cooked their brains

And @blurider78 suggesting June/July. I'd like the middle/end of July. Middle of the week? You mean like 3 days beginning July 18 or 25?
These are questions/suggestions, guys. Don't let us easterners plan your get together, but I know several of us will participate...wooohooo....

--Larry--
You can sit back in a Lazy Boy and watch TV OR get on a motorcycle seat and watch the world go by.
Google Photos............Flickr Photos ...............(2014 CTX1300D-Black delivered Oct 30, 2014)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page