LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-13-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question about heat

Hi all,

I don't own a CTX1300, it only recently came on my radar and I've been researching it a bit. I understand that the engine is based on the ST1300 so that leads me to wonder about heat? I used to own a 2008 st1300 and I always felt a bit cooked on it while riding here in TN - how does the CTX1300 handle heat? is it a toasty ride or relatively cool/comfortable?
Virginian likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-13-2017, 09:53 AM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum @nethfel .
Heat is NOT an issue on the CTX1300. I used to ride a ST1100 and still ride with many ST1300 owners. The heat issue on the ST is not as bad for some owners as it seems to be for others (there is a current thread on the ST forum on that discusses that and also some threads/posts on this forum about it).
The CTX1300 exposes much more of the engine than the ST so heat generated is blown off much easier making it a non-issue on this bike. The ST encases the engine almost completely so heat is trapped and concentrated and if you don't wear riding pants you will definitely feel it. The ST1300 puts off much more heat than the ST1100, which has more heat than the CTX1300 IMHO. I do notice "normal" engine heat when I ride wearing mesh riding pants and the air temps are over 95*F and in stop and go traffic, but only when stopped or when only able to go walking speeds. Actually I could still feel about as much heat coming off the pavement as off the bike so really... no issues here.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- traded
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489- primary transportation
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-13-2017, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nethfel View Post
Hi all,

I don't own a CTX1300, it only recently came on my radar and I've been researching it a bit. I understand that the engine is based on the ST1300 so that leads me to wonder about heat? I used to own a 2008 st1300 and I always felt a bit cooked on it while riding here in TN - how does the CTX1300 handle heat? is it a toasty ride or relatively cool/comfortable?

I won't be the best source for answering this question as I haven't ridden in a long time prior to getting my CTX a couple months ago - However I can pass on my opinion certainly. One of the items on my checklist when shopping was liquid cooling for the engine as it simply made sense to me that if the engine is cooler running by having some cooling help, then it will most likely be cooler riding. When looking at some HD's I thought I had read where they were shutting off the rear cylinders at stop lights because of the heat going to rider and my thought process was that if this was something built into the bike it must be running pretty darn warm. That was a big strike against the HD for me, a big strike for the Honda.
As for practical experience I recently was on a trip and had no relative problem with riding hot. I was in mid 40 degree temps to near 90 degree and at no time did I feel like the engine was causing me heat frustration. Also recently, I was riding for a relatively short time with most all plastic and guards removed from the bike because I was in the middle of installing several different items. With all those things off the bike I really noticed a big difference in heat coming directly to me. I was actually pretty surprised that all the little guards made such a big difference. I was also moving at a faster pace to get those things installed back on the bike because of the heat.
Anyway - I would classify it as a cool or relatively cool ride, but of course that's just me.

*??* Yamaha 60
1976 Honda 360T
1993 Honda Nighthawk CB750 Four
2014 Honda CTX1300D

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it right the second?

post #4 of 15 Old 06-13-2017, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Ok - I just posted the above and Bob's post popped up at the same time. Bob's thoughts seem to be that the ST's encasing in plastic makes it warmer to rider and yet my experience with CTX is that plastic keeps much heat off the rider so I'm guessing there is more to the equation than just plastic. Just interesting observations really. Bottom line is that we both agree this bike is a relatively cool ride - and fwiw I am in mesh pants about 99.99% of the time.

*??* Yamaha 60
1976 Honda 360T
1993 Honda Nighthawk CB750 Four
2014 Honda CTX1300D

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it right the second?
post #5 of 15 Old 06-13-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well, I can see Bob's point honestly - if you look a the ST1300, there are huge fairings covering the engine area which really will help trap the heat rather then (to your point bljdb) the smaller quantity and size fairings on the CTX1300 which is more shifting the air to help move the heat. On my '08 ST1300 (long since sold now) I actually had to wrap my exhaust pipes and cut vents in some of the inner cowling area to adjust airflow - the top pocket on the left of the bike would literally melt credit cards.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-13-2017, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum. FWIW, I think the CTX is okay regarding heat. If you are not wearing riding pants and you are tall to the point your knees ride up against the rubber protectors on the head, you will most definitely feel heat. Now how much heat is subjective so let's put it on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being unbearable. "To me", I would rate the heat a 4 or 5 on a hot summer day. I just open my legs a tag and get direct airflow across mt legs. Now in the winter, it's a blessing for me to tuck my knees in behind something warm. I hope my comments helped.

Eric

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Riding a CTX 1300 VA Style on ADV

post #7 of 15 Old 06-13-2017, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
@Gcasolino has a thread called Heat Signature. Used a Flir camera to show heat build up with a bike at rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1982 Yamaha Maxim 550
1985 Honda Magna 750
2014 Honda Black Standard CTX1300 #635
2014 Honda Black Deluxe CTX1300 #970

"Money is only a tool. It will take you wherever you wish, but it will not replace you as the driver <rider>." Ayn Rand
post #8 of 15 Old 06-13-2017, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
I'll try my FLIR One on mine while moving and post. Need to rig it safely. We're running 90degree temps now (SATX).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1982 Yamaha Maxim 550
1985 Honda Magna 750
2014 Honda Black Standard CTX1300 #635
2014 Honda Black Deluxe CTX1300 #970

"Money is only a tool. It will take you wherever you wish, but it will not replace you as the driver <rider>." Ayn Rand
post #9 of 15 Old 06-13-2017, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I've owned a ST1100 and currently own a ST1300 and CTX1300. The CTX does not carry any of the heat issues that the ST does. Not even a little. The CTX is a cool comfy ride with no noticeable heat.

JRob
CTX1300 "Fury"
'07 ST1300
post #10 of 15 Old 06-14-2017, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I have noticed it will blow some hot air from the radiator onto your ankles around town but it is still better than the wing around town in 80+ temps

Let's see if this bike holds my attention for more than a year!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page