Menosabe crash bar please read! - Honda CTX1300 Forum
 25Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-18-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Menosabe crash bar please read!

About 15 minutes ago while I was stopping at a traffic light my left foot slid on sand and my bike gently laid down.... Thank God for the crash bar!!!!!. Zero damage, aside for my ego, to the bike... Thank heavens for you!!! You just saved me $1000's of dollars! Please please please don't stop making these.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim Regan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Manchester, N.J.
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Good News!

Good to hear your bikes OK and even more important your foot/leg!
Stlburd2 and OneMileAttaTime like this.
Mark Ashby is online now  
post #3 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 08:53 PM
Member
 
bljdb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: N. Raleigh, NC
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I've caught myself a couple times with my feet sliding too. Glad to hear you and bike are ok. I have to ask - how did you get it back upright on two wheels?
Stlburd2 likes this.

*??* Yamaha 60
1976 Honda 360T
1993 Honda Nighthawk CB750 Four
2014 Honda CTX1300D



If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it right the second?
bljdb is online now  
 
post #4 of 16 Old 06-20-2017, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljdb View Post
I've caught myself a couple times with my feet sliding too. Glad to hear you and bike are ok. I have to ask - how did you get it back upright on two wheels?


A lot of muscle....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stlburd2 likes this.
Jim Regan is online now  
post #5 of 16 Old 06-20-2017, 09:07 AM
bob
Super Moderator
 
bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Posts: 3,798
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Garage
There is a good trick to pick up a bike that is laying down that doesn't use as much muscle and I've known some rather petite girls able to pick up even a Gold Wing using that trick. Never use your arms or back to lift. Only use your legs. There are plenty of videos on YouTube for this and even one or two on the forum I think so please search. In brief:
-If the bike is down on the right side put the side stand out first, if it's down on the left side you'll have to lift it first to get the side stand out.
-Turn the handlebars to the stop on the side that is down.
-Put your butt against the rider's saddle, you may have to squat to do this, and place one hand on the lower side handlebar grip and the other hand on the passenger grip (molded recess under plastic next to pillion).
-Keeping both arms straight (don't lift with your arms) and your back straight (don't lift using your back either), use your legs to push back against the saddle and the bike will lift up straight. Lift it slowly and intentionally.
-If it was down on the left side you'll have to put the side stand out when the bike is up enough to do so, being careful not to let the bike go too far to the right and fall over that way. If it was down on the right side the side stand should already be out and you just let the bike ease over onto the side stand.

Doing this you should be able to lift ANY bike that is laying on its side. I found it actually easy to lift a 1000 lb Gold Wing (loaded with fuel and baggage). Your legs are many times stronger than any other part of you. I do recommend every one who hasn't done this at least once should. Put down some padding, cardboard, or other, in the lawn (more padding needed if you don't have grass on which to do this) and gently lay the bike on its side. Then practice lifting using the above method. A very good idea to have someone with you who can assist and spot you and the bike the first time you try, and don't do this on a hill until you know how to do it.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- traded
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489- primary transportation
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
bob is online now  
post #6 of 16 Old 06-20-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Menosabe crash bar please read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
There is a good trick to pick up a bike that is laying down that doesn't use as much muscle and I've known some rather petite girls able to pick up even a Gold Wing using that trick. Never use your arms or back to lift. Only use your legs. There are plenty of videos on YouTube for this and even one or two on the forum I think so please search. In brief:
-If the bike is down on the right side put the side stand out first, if it's down on the left side you'll have to lift it first to get the side stand out.
-Turn the handlebars to the stop on the side that is down.
-Put your butt against the rider's saddle, you may have to squat to do this, and place one hand on the lower side handlebar grip and the other hand on the passenger grip (molded recess under plastic next to pillion).
-Keeping both arms straight (don't lift with your arms) and your back straight (don't lift using your back either), use your legs to push back against the saddle and the bike will lift up straight. Lift it slowly and intentionally.
-If it was down on the left side you'll have to put the side stand out when the bike is up enough to do so, being careful not to let the bike go too far to the right and fall over that way. If it was down on the right side the side stand should already be out and you just let the bike ease over onto the side stand.

Doing this you should be able to lift ANY bike that is laying on its side. I found it actually easy to lift a 1000 lb Gold Wing (loaded with fuel and baggage). Your legs are many times stronger than any other part of you. I do recommend every one who hasn't done this at least once should. Put down some padding, cardboard, or other, in the lawn (more padding needed if you don't have grass on which to do this) and gently lay the bike on its side. Then practice lifting using the above method. A very good idea to have someone with you who can assist and spot you and the bike the first time you try, and don't do this on a hill until you know how to do it.


Did you ever read stories where a 3 year old picks up a car to save his mother? That's what happened to me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stlburd2 and menosabe like this.

Last edited by Jim Regan; 06-20-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Jim Regan is online now  
post #7 of 16 Old 06-20-2017, 02:21 PM
DSL
Member
 
DSL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Picking up a Boss Hoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
There is a good trick to pick up a bike that is laying down that doesn't use as much muscle and I've known some rather petite girls able to pick up even a Gold Wing using that trick. Never use your arms or back to lift. Only use your legs. There are plenty of videos on YouTube for this and even one or two on the forum I think so please search. In brief:
-If the bike is down on the right side put the side stand out first, if it's down on the left side you'll have to lift it first to get the side stand out.
-Turn the handlebars to the stop on the side that is down.
-Put your butt against the rider's saddle, you may have to squat to do this, and place one hand on the lower side handlebar grip and the other hand on the passenger grip (molded recess under plastic next to pillion).
-Keeping both arms straight (don't lift with your arms) and your back straight (don't lift using your back either), use your legs to push back against the saddle and the bike will lift up straight. Lift it slowly and intentionally.
-If it was down on the left side you'll have to put the side stand out when the bike is up enough to do so, being careful not to let the bike go too far to the right and fall over that way. If it was down on the right side the side stand should already be out and you just let the bike ease over onto the side stand.

Doing this you should be able to lift ANY bike that is laying on its side. I found it actually easy to lift a 1000 lb Gold Wing (loaded with fuel and baggage). Your legs are many times stronger than any other part of you. I do recommend every one who hasn't done this at least once should. Put down some padding, cardboard, or other, in the lawn (more padding needed if you don't have grass on which to do this) and gently lay the bike on its side. Then practice lifting using the above method. A very good idea to have someone with you who can assist and spot you and the bike the first time you try, and don't do this on a hill until you know how to do it.


1973 Honda CB100
1974 Honda CL360
1976 Kawasaki 900
2013 Honda CB1100
2014 Honda CTX1300

DSL is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 06-20-2017, 02:58 PM
bob
Super Moderator
 
bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Posts: 3,798
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Garage
And fortunately it DOESN'T take Superman to pick up any bike, including a Boss Hoss (which really doesn't fall over as far as most bikes do).

Oh, and back on the subject, the excellent saddlebag guards menosabe makes will likely prevent the CTX1300 from leaning over as far as without them, or at least provide a good pivot, making it a little easier to start putting the bike upright.
Mark Ashby likes this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- traded
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489- primary transportation
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.

Last edited by bob; 06-20-2017 at 03:02 PM.
bob is online now  
post #9 of 16 Old 06-20-2017, 04:25 PM
DSL
Member
 
DSL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Website to order them from

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Regan View Post
About 15 minutes ago while I was stopping at a traffic light my left foot slid on sand and my bike gently laid down.... Thank God for the crash bar!!!!!. Zero damage, aside for my ego, to the bike... Thank heavens for you!!! You just saved me $1000's of dollars! Please please please don't stop making these.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have a link to
where you can order the Menosabe crash bar?

1973 Honda CB100
1974 Honda CL360
1976 Kawasaki 900
2013 Honda CB1100
2014 Honda CTX1300

DSL is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 06-20-2017, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL View Post
Do you have a link to
where you can order the Menosabe crash bar?


Contact him through this site


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim Regan is online now  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome