LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-28-2014, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question Mud or grime guard for front of engine

I've always added mud flaps to the front fender of my other bikes. I was trying to have everything ready in advance of getting my new ride and see the front fender is too short for a mud flap. The V-star has a guard to protect the engine. So, I searched the posts, accessories, and Googled. I don't see anything listed for preventing grime and road debris from the front tire(tyre) getting all over the front of the engine. Has anyone else found a good solution or do we just clean it more?

--Larry--
You can sit back in a Lazy Boy and watch TV OR get on a motorcycle seat and watch the world go by.
Google Photos............Flickr Photos ...............(2014 CTX1300D-Black delivered Oct 30, 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-29-2014, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
The "front of the engine" on the CTX1300 is a plastic cover. I find it cleans itself as soon as you ride through the next rain. But if you must, there you go: Honda CTX1300 Extenda Fenda Fender Extender Front Mudguard Extension 051813 | eBay
Stlburd2 likes this.

@Dexter

1997 Yamaha Virago XV535 blue/white (gifted to my brother when I left the country, photo)
2011 Harley-Davidson Sportster SuperLow XL883L black (sold back to the dealer, photo)
2001 Yamaha Royal Star Venture XVZ13TF light metallic green/dark green (traded in for the CTX, story, photo)
2014 Honda CTX1300 black (current ride, photo)
post #3 of 24 Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 AM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Garage
I agree about the lower front of the engine cleaning itself. I just washed the bike this weekend (only 3rd time since owned) and the bugs and grit just came right off with no problem so it looks like new. I would, however, want to still extend the fender to protect the radiator a bit more. Don't really see much being thrown up on it yet but there is a little bit of dirt track on the lower center part of the radiator. No bugs though, which surprises me a bit... pleasantly. This might be the item I need for that.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- traded
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489- primary transportation
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.

post #4 of 24 Old 10-29-2014, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
I just clean mine more often. I usually get all the bugs cleaned off after I ride anyway and so I will go ahead and clean behind the front wheel/tire too. It's easy to clean anyway. I'm pretty picky about keeping my bike clean, so I usually always clean it after riding. A clean bike is a happy bike.
Croxy likes this.
post #5 of 24 Old 10-29-2014, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks all for the replies. I usually am concerned about the radiator, but it seems high enough on the CTX that it shouldn't be a problem. So, the part below the radiator is teflon .
I'm getting antsy waiting for the bike. Wife asked me how many times I'm going to re-read the same posts.....
I'd seen that fender extender, but wasn't sure if it was worth it.
Now, back to making a list and checking it twice....
bob and Stlburd2 like this.

--Larry--
You can sit back in a Lazy Boy and watch TV OR get on a motorcycle seat and watch the world go by.
Google Photos............Flickr Photos ...............(2014 CTX1300D-Black delivered Oct 30, 2014)
post #6 of 24 Old 10-29-2014, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willajabir View Post
Thanks all for the replies. I usually am concerned about the radiator, but it seems high enough on the CTX that it shouldn't be a problem. So, the part below the radiator is teflon .
I'm getting antsy waiting for the bike. Wife asked me how many times I'm going to re-read the same posts.....
I'd seen that fender extender, but wasn't sure if it was worth it.
Now, back to making a list and checking it twice....
Hi All,
As a matter of fact i have today (29th October) fitted an Extenda Fenda,it has the adhesive patches to secure to the front fender,a little bit fiddly but I was concerned about the mud and debris coming back off the front wheel.
Hope it works.
Stlburd2 likes this.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-29-2014, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Careful with those fender extenders. They have, in several cases, caused cracks in the fender due to weight and force. This has happened on Goldwings, and many other bikes.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-30-2014, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Fenda extenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron14CTX View Post
Careful with those fender extenders. They have, in several cases, caused cracks in the fender due to weight and force. This has happened on Goldwings, and many other bikes.
Hi,I did fit an extension my GL1800 about 6yrs ago and was lucky I suppose,never had a problem.
But like everything else some one would have a problem sometimes.
Stlburd2 likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 10-30-2014, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron14CTX View Post
Thanks for mentioning that, i shall pass that on, was not something i was previously aware of.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-30-2014, 08:26 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Garage
There are a lot of ST riders who have put one of these on their ST fenders. I also have known many GW riders with something similar. My own GW came from the PO with a mud flap of his own design made of rubber that was bolted on. I don't recall reading of any issues with the stock fender with these. My own experience is only with a stiff rubber mud flap. Mine started tearing, the mud flap not the fender, and was beginning to rub on the tire so I removed it before any damage was done. No splits at the bolts though. I also had a rubber mud flap on the rear fender that originally had a small light in it. The wires were broken so I removed the light but left the flap. Never had a problem with it otherwise. I do know of many add-ons bolted to other plastic on a GW that had splits starting around the bolt holes but usually related to too much weight or stress applied, such as on a luggage rack bolted to the top case lid. I added large fender washers inside and outside to take care of that on mine. So I can see where there could be issues. But usually it's related to the bolt hole with bolt-on items rather than stick on items such as a Fenda Extenda. Just another view here.

BTW- tried looking up for this item on the official Fenda Extenda web site and it is not listed... at least for the U.S.A. Be wary of eBay claims of compatibility. I've know items advertised on eBay for one model bike are really intended for a different model and don't fit. But then again, maybe it is available overseas and just not here.
Reidion and Stlburd2 like this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- traded
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489- primary transportation
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.

Last edited by bob; 10-30-2014 at 08:33 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page