post #1 of 19 Old 05-03-2016, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Performance

i have been riding my ctx now for just over a year
and to say the least, was an awesome purchase
i still hear the talk of how this motor is underpowered, however, have no idea where this is coming from
as in my opinion, it is go time right off the line, and never lets up
passing on the highway is a breeze with barely a need for space
now to my question, as i have read reviews from said magazines that used to be standard, now, i dont even know if they exist
what are the actual numbers?
acceleration 0-60 mph?
roll on power?
quarter mile?
has anybody done any actual tests, or found someone who has?
i would like to know
thanks
darrell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-03-2016, 09:34 AM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Garage
Don't know about those particular numbers but I do have some torque/hp charts in my flickr photos.
Those who keep saying this bike is under powered pay too much attention to the numbers without regard to where those numbers happen (rpm) and at what speeds (over 90 mph) and are comparing to the ST from where this engine comes. I've mentioned before on this forum that the CTX1300 has higher torque and hp below 5000 rpm compared with the ST1300. At that rpm they are the same, but the ST is just really starting to go up while the CTX is coming back down. By that rpm both bikes would be going over 90 mph if in 5th gear. That's why most ST riders keep it in 4th gear up to higher speeds... to find the sweet spot for torque and hp for that bike. Otherwise THEY are under powered if they ran in 5th gear at normal highway speeds (thus the need for the ST to actually downshift to pass on the highway!). Having said that please keep in mind that the CTX is not designed for sport riding so the throttle response is not as quick as the ST which IS designed for that kind of riding. So most journalists and riders of sport or sport touring bikes will compare the CTX with what they expect for acceleration and power at high rpm based on those rides since it has the ST engine (in their minds). I am totally satisfied with the power at lower rpm where I can actually use it. The CTX is far more powerful than my old ST1100 even though the numbers still don't show it, albeit they are closer than with the ST1300.

See THIS post for my estimation of speed vs rpm in 5th gear. No need to run at lower gears for any of these speeds unless trying to accelerate very fast from lower speeds. At higher speeds this CTX will provide all the acceleration you need to pass.
psullam and royst1100 like this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- traded
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489- primary transportation
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-03-2016, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
I remembered seeing numbers in some comparo tests in Motorcyclist magazine, so I searched and here they are:

Comparison with VStar 1300, wherein they obsess like everyone else about the CTX not fitting into traditional cruiser/bagger categories

Comparison with other flavors of "touring" bikes, where they prove a bit more open-minded and just soak in what the CTX is as a motorcycle

Both times they reported nearly identical performance numbers:
MEASURED HORSEPOWER 75.6 hp @ 5800 rpm
MEASURED TORQUE 77.4 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
-MILE (CORRECTED) 13.23 sec. @ 103.4 mph
TOP-GEAR ROLL-ON 60–80 MPH 4.86 sec.

2014 CTX1300 Deluxe in Ion Blue Metallic

States visited on my CTX:

post #4 of 19 Old 05-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
I think most of the talk about this motor being underpowered comes from the dyno chart-obsessed, the ones who've seen the same motor with a peak hp of 125 now with 'just' 85, with absolutely zero consideration for where and how the torque is delivered in each application. Maybe this bike won't pull your arms out of their sockets as some torque-monsters will, nor will it light up radar guns with its top-end. But it is more than adequate, certainly capable of providing enough of a thrill when you twist the wicked for this style of bike (and the mostly old farts that tend to gravitate towards it).

Obviously, for those of us who want what this bike offers, it strokes a lot of the right nerves. It does a lot of things very well -- it's a better tourer and handles better than most bagged cruisers; it's more comfortable than sport-tourers; it's lighter and more maneuverable than heavy tourers. And it looks like not too many other machines out there. So who cares what category of bike it does or doesn't fit in.
bob, blurider78, Lighter and 4 others like this.

Ed

"Valar Morghulis."
post #5 of 19 Old 05-03-2016, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Hey, watch it with the 'old fart' comments! Some of us aren't even 40 yet. ;-)

I think the bike hits a sweet spot between two basic profiles of rider, which kinda match age categories but could be age-independent:
- riders of standards or cruisers who want to trade-up to something a bit more touring worthy without the ergonomic commitments of cruiser-tourers (feet-forward) or sport-tourers (too much crouch). these riders wanted to find something on the market exactly between, say, a Harley Road Glide and a BMW R1200RT and the CTX is the only machine singing their song. the alterna-bagger.
- riders of larger touring machines who are tired of the bulk, or riders of older touring machines who resent that the touring segment has become synonymous with bulkiness. with the right accessories, the CTX replaces a full-dresser tourer and shaves hundreds of pounds off their ride. no reverse gear needed.

Some people come sniffing in the CTX direction because of the V4, and like one of the comments from the editor of Motorcyclist in the first article linked above, think the CTX is a 'muscle' bike a la VMax or Ducati Diavel. In my opinion this is just wrong. Both the performance numbers and the actual bike's performance turn this class of rider off. Most of us in the 2 categories above find the CTX has plenty of power, but it'll probably not satisfy someone who has drag strip racing or show-off 'muscle' posturing on the brain.
sleepngbear, shane, bruceb and 3 others like this.

2014 CTX1300 Deluxe in Ion Blue Metallic

States visited on my CTX:
post #6 of 19 Old 05-06-2016, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
like it's said "the CTX1300 is not a Sports Tourer" it can get to the wrong side of our establishment very, to easily. detuned or reconfigured im very happy with overall power and toque when i lean to use it properly
Lighter likes this.

Regards
Royce

CTX 1300 Deluxe (2014) (current)
ST1100 (1990) (for sale as soon as paint touched up)
Honda Bol Dor CB750 (1982)
Few more years of
Suzuki GS100
Honda CB500 (mid 1970's
Few years of with wife,kids until divorce
Honda CB500 (brand new 1974)
Honda CB250 (1963ish) the beginning
post #7 of 19 Old 05-06-2016, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Garage
0 to 60 4.0 seconds, 1/4 Mile Time 12.83 @ 102 mph. Figures from a Cycle World Magazine Test.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-08-2016, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've had everything from Sleds to Crotch Rockets. I have never found anything that balances both ends of the Riding Spectrum as well as my CTX 1300. The broad power curve, handling and comfort level make it the perfect ride for me. The fact is, it has plenty of power. If you want wheelies at 60 mph, then get one of the bikes designed for that sort of thing... if you want a nice pleasant ride... Well, this will give you one. I am really surprised that more folks didn't give one a try, if they had most of them would have liked it, and they would still be in Honda's lineup.

Snakebite
bob, Lighter and OneMileAttaTime like this.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-08-2016, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebite4767 View Post
I am really surprised that more folks didn't give one a try, if they had most of them would have liked it, and they would still be in Honda's lineup.

Snakebite
I think more folks would have if more folks knew about it.
Heck, look at some recent posts in other threads here, and there's talk of people who work in Honda dealerships who don't know about this bike -- if they don't know, how can Honda rightly expect that anyone else would know? This is the bike I've always wanted, and I only stumbled on it by accident (there was mention of it an article about the then new Valkyrie, actually). Honda totally dropped the advertising ball on this one. The only other bike I've seen them do as bad a job with was the ST. I'll never understand that.
Lighter and PoJo like this.

Ed

"Valar Morghulis."
post #10 of 19 Old 05-08-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you chaplain, that pretty much coincides with what i have been experiencing, but with out a stop watch

i really am not sure where all of this pissing match came from, i thought it was a pretty straight forward question

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page