post #1 of 54 Old 03-07-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Coast to Coast (to Coast) June/July 2017

Hi everyone,
This is going to be my official trip thread, wherein I share all my experience and photographs from my upcoming trip across this great land of ours. Right now the plan is to head east following US Route 50, then make a dip down to catch Route 66 back east. It looks like about 7,000 miles but of course I'm still pretty early in the planning stages. I will be leaving on June 24 and I hope to be finished by July 15. I'm going to start posting stuff here to chronicle my preparations... for posterity! First off, here's my latest addition to my ride: I just installed the gen-u-wine Honda travel trunk, and I now feel qualified to rebuild weather satellites in my spare time. It was a little complicated, but the end result is perfect. I will be making other changes as well, such as putting on my larger windshield and getting my hands on a throttle lock or cruise control. Stay tuned!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170304_115953037 (800x450).jpg (217.6 KB, 90 views)

Not all those who wander are lost.
1984 Yamaha Virago 700
1985 Honda V65 Magna 1100 (The Judge)
2014 Red Deluxe CTX1300 (Dorothy, SN42) - current ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 03-07-2017, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Are you planning on publishing your trip on the Advrider.com?
shane and willajabir like this.
post #3 of 54 Old 03-07-2017, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Garage
This is wonderful! I am excited for you and I look forward to following your progress.
shane, willajabir and strawhat1 like this.

Deluxe-Red 000032

post #4 of 54 Old 03-07-2017, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Are you headed thru MO on Rt 66? If so let me know and maybe we can grab a bite. I'm always looking for a reason to ride to eat and I'm only about 22 miles north of Rt.66.
Ride safe.
OneMileAttaTime likes this.

post #5 of 54 Old 03-08-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder4fun View Post
Are you planning on publishing your trip on the Advrider.com?
Not sure, but that sounds like a good idea! I can't remember if I'm a member so I will have to check

1984 Yamaha Virago 700
post #6 of 54 Old 06-03-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
OK, the days are ticking by and it's time for a schedule update! They shaved a couple of school days off because we didn't use all of our snow days, so I'm going to be starting my trip a little earlier than originally planned (YAY!). Departure date is now Monday, June 19. That puts me returning on Monday, July 10(-ish). The family is going to throw me a nice Father's Day cookout to send me off, otherwise I would leave a couple of days sooner. I've put on my fancy new tires, Bridgestone Exedra Maxes. I installed a new battery. New brakes front and back. I also installed a luggage rack on top of my travel trunk; not extremely enthusiastic about it but it will be handy for securing small-ish stuff like my sneakers and rain suit. Once I have everything that I will be setting out with, I will post a complete inventory along with things that I changed on the bike itself like phone mounts etc. Today, my son and I are going to change the oil and I will give it a good spit-shine to look for anything that needs attention. I did a 400-mile day with the bike loaded down with all my camping gear just to see if my packing technique would fly... worked great! Also, I have lost 61 pounds (will have lost 65 by the start of my trip). That makes a HUGE difference. For those who saw me on the NC trip in October: I'm quite a bit smaller now.
Stay tuned!
bob, HansenCTX, Stlburd2 and 11 others like this.

1984 Yamaha Virago 700
post #7 of 54 Old 06-04-2017, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Looking forward to your posts. That sounds like an awesome trip. Congrats on shedding some pounds too.
shane likes this.

JRob
CTX1300 "Fury"
'07 ST1300
post #8 of 54 Old 06-04-2017, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Subbed and looking forward towards the ride report Shane!

Eric
shane likes this.
post #9 of 54 Old 06-05-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Rain Gear and Tires

Thought it would be better to list some of my trip prep items in small chunks. Today I had a chance to rain-test my Bridgestone Exedra Max tires and my spiffy new Frogg Toggs rain suit.

I'm very impressed with the tires. They seemed to me to keep perfect traction, never a slip or wobble. They felt plenty sticky, and I'm confident that they will do what I need them to do during my 7,000-mile journey.

Rain suit: Frogg Toggs Road Toad
Kept me perfectly dry, but I wish there was a way to cinch the sleeves. They ballooned out like giant sausages. Also, although the fabric is advertised as breathable, I wish it was a little more airy. It felt like a sauna, but I was wearing an armored jacket underneath. Sizing seemed to be fine; I am now wearing a 3XL jacket and this 3XL rain suit fit over it easily with room (maybe too much?) to spare.

Bonus info: I wore my L.L. Bean waterproof hiking boots because I didn't want to fool with rain covers. They worked perfectly, and I may just wear them instead of my Icon (non-waterproof) boots on my trip.

Gloves: Hey, does anyone know of any good summer waterproof gloves? I really don't want to have to wear rubber overgloves, but I might give it a shot. My Joe Rocket Phoenix gloves are almost worse than no gloves at all because they turn into giant soggy sponges when it rains. Yes, I forgot to pack overgloves.
OneMileAttaTime likes this.

1984 Yamaha Virago 700
post #10 of 54 Old 06-05-2017, 06:07 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Garage
Tour Master Dri Mesh gloves are just OK for summer rain. I tried Olympia but the liner in those irritated my skin and stuck when I tried to remove the gloves. You'll have to try a few and see how the liner affects you. The Dri Mesh gloves worked best for me. Of course, with ANY water proof or water resistant summer glove you will get very warm if the temps are very warm since airflow is blocked as they get wet (water fills in and blocks the pores reducing the air flow through). Same thing happens with any rain suit or rain liner. That's why the "just OK" rating. Mine wore out finally after 7 years of wear and decided to try over gloves this time. Bought a pair of "Protect the King" rain over gloves (that's what they're called) from Amazon. Kind of clumsy to use to but they do protect from rain. They are a 3 finger style. I use TM Summer Elite 3 gloves under them. These are not water proof in any way but are cooler in warm weather with the over gloves on.

I have also used a summer mesh glove that has no rain liner and just let them get wet. Didn't really mind that in light rains and didn't have issues with the mushy feeling as long as I could still move my fingers. Only did this in very warm or hot temps and when the rain stops the mesh dried out fast.
shane and OneMileAttaTime like this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- traded
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489- primary transportation
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page