12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 Old 04-23-2015, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear shock replacement

Now that a solution (albeit pricey) is out there for the front suspension, what about the rears? Anybody replaced the rear shocks? We need details. For what its worth, I crank my current shocks up to position 5 and this is much better than the softer settings.

2010 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold)
2002 BMW 1150 GS (gladly sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 04-23-2015, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytrap View Post
Now that a solution (albeit pricey) is out there for the front suspension, what about the rears? Anybody replaced the rear shocks? We need details. For what its worth, I crank my current shocks up to position 5 and this is much better than the softer settings.
I'm like you. I ride at 4 or 5 (I forget, I left it at whatever I had it set at for riding the Dragon with my wife on back last fall and haven't thought about it, which means I like it where it is). But it does make me wonder if the ride is going to get saggy/bouncy down the road since I'm basically riding at the highest setting.

Jeff

2014 CTX1300 Deluxe in Ion Blue Metallic

States visited on my CTX:
post #3 of 85 Old 04-23-2015, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I have a set of GL1100 air shocks on my bike now. They are about 1/2 inch longer but running air at 32 psi it sets like the stock shocks. I just got them mounted last nite where I could get the seat on and ride it. Just did a short ride on some rough roads that I ride on. What a difference some of the bumps I don't even feel now and the bad ones are not bad now. I am going to do some testing today on some twisties and see how that works. But right now I can tell you this bike needs diff rear shocks.

post #4 of 85 Old 04-23-2015, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpyhonda View Post
I have a set of GL1100 air shocks on my bike now. They are about 1/2 inch longer but running air at 32 psi it sets like the stock shocks. I just got them mounted last nite where I could get the seat on and ride it. Just did a short ride on some rough roads that I ride on. What a difference some of the bumps I don't even feel now and the bad ones are not bad now. I am going to do some testing today on some twisties and see how that works. But right now I can tell you this bike needs diff rear shocks.
Are you saying you took stock shocks from a GL1100 or something aftermarket? Sorry, I know nothing of Gold Wings of any vintage.

Jeff

2014 CTX1300 Deluxe in Ion Blue Metallic

States visited on my CTX:
post #5 of 85 Old 04-23-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffz View Post
Are you saying you took stock shocks from a GL1100 or something aftermarket? Sorry, I know nothing of Gold Wings of any vintage.

Jeff

Yes these were a set of stock used rear air stocks I had off a 83 GL1100. Just got back from about a 100 mile ride and these things work great. I road some of the roughest I knew of the places that were a little rough I don't feel now and the real rough places you bearly feel them now. While riding today instead of trying to dodge the rough stuff I would hit it. In one place hit a big dip and bottomed out the shocks nothing rubbed and was not a big jar. In long sweeping curves with dips at speed not a bit of wiggle. These shocks are about 1/2" longer than the stock ones but running 32psi the bike sets level like stock. Only draw back so far when on side stand it leans more. I was going to try to find some new shocks but I am going to leave these on as they are working great for now.

Last edited by wimpyhonda; 04-23-2015 at 05:49 PM.
post #6 of 85 Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I think many of us are setting the rear up to max, me included, to make up for the front problems
I will try and set my rears this weekend and give a report as to what they are like on softer settings
I am hoping to not have to do much to the rears
I don't have anymore money
I will be riding this bike 2up a lot so it will likely be on the firmer end
otherwise on the rears I suppose we just need measurements to get shocks from many companies
but I have not looked at the mounts yet. but if they fit and ride from other bikes it should be an easy swap
post #7 of 85 Old 04-24-2015, 12:40 AM

I had tried my rear shocks at every setting nothing worked. Now I ride single for whats it worth. The stock rear has to MUCH comp damping. I was going to trade my bike but after the shock change I don't think so. Cant believe how much these shocks made in this bikes ride. I will keep you all posted on how it goes.
V0X likes this.

post #8 of 85 Old 04-24-2015, 03:19 PM
V0X
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
ride down to Chattanooga and do mine

2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
2012 Honda ST1300A
2014 BMW rNineT (sold)
2013 Honda CB500X (sold)
post #9 of 85 Old 04-24-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0X View Post
ride down to Chattanooga and do mine

I was down there last week looking at F6Bs. Don't try to trade in your CTX with Honda doing the discount thing they will not give you much for it.

post #10 of 85 Old 04-24-2015, 09:28 PM
V0X
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
F6B is cool. A colleague and I are flying up next Saturday to Milwaukee to pick up two 2012 ST 1300s. Going to enjoy the 730 mile ride back over the weekend.

2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
2012 Honda ST1300A
2014 BMW rNineT (sold)
2013 Honda CB500X (sold)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page