9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 05-12-2016, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bike Total Length???

Can someone please tell me what the total length of the bike if say you were going to use an open trailer. Basically, from the very front of the front tire to approx. 6-10 inches behind where the rear tire makes contact with the ground. I'm trying to see if a 7 ft. open trailer will have a long enough floor space with the rear tire not being at the very edge of the rear...Thanks for any help on this...TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-12-2016, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Garage
From the front of the front tire to the contact on the ground of the rear tire is 7'. You'll either have to turn the front wheel or angle the bike to keep it from hanging over the rear of the trailer.
Depending on the trailer design, you still may have some hanging off the rear even if it is angled, but not too much.

--Larry--
You can sit back in a Lazy Boy and watch TV OR get on a motorcycle seat and watch the world go by.
Google Photos............Flickr Photos ...............(2014 CTX1300D-Black delivered Oct 30, 2014)
post #3 of 21 Old 05-12-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willajabir View Post
From the front of the front tire to the contact on the ground of the rear tire is 7'. You'll either have to turn the front wheel or angle the bike to keep it from hanging over the rear of the trailer.
Depending on the trailer design, you still may have some hanging off the rear even if it is angled, but not too much.
Thanks, that's what I needed, guess I'll go with a eight ft. trailer instead, I'm trying to go get my new bike which the dealer is about 150 miles from me, I was going to rent a car and drive the bike back, but with the wet weather pattern we're stuck in I don't want to take a chance of being caught in a deluge and it'll lessen my chances of some car hydroplaning and taking me out on the 1st ride on my CTX13. I sure do 'preciate the info above...RIDE SAFE

post #4 of 21 Old 05-12-2016, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I just loaded my ctx1300 on an enclosed trailer. Dimensions of trailer are 5'x8'. I have a rack on the back which holds my trunk box. Taking the box off, the door to the trailer barely touches the rack when closed. I know this is enclosed but I'm sure you have a ramp to put up on trailer.

Mohr 👮
--Don--
Prio/Present Bikes
1976 CJ 360 Honda-sold
1978 CX 500 Honda-sold
1980 850 Yamaha Triple-sold
2004 1500 Suzuki Intruder-sold
2006 Honda Goldwing-sold
2012 Honda Goldwing-sold
2014 CTX 1300 Deluxe-present
post #5 of 21 Old 05-12-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Plan B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohr View Post
I just loaded my ctx1300 on an enclosed trailer. Dimensions of trailer are 5'x8'. I have a rack on the back which holds my trunk box. Taking the box off, the door to the trailer barely touches the rack when closed. I know this is enclosed but I'm sure you have a ramp to put up on trailer.
Thanks for the post, I'm outta luck on the open trailer I was going to rent, so the next choice is the 5X8 enclosed you used. I assume the trailer you used was the U-Haul 5X8 enclosed So, IF the bike is new, and totally stock, I would have plenty of clearance with the 5X8 enclosed? Also,are there any tie-down rings in the trailer? I'm needing to make the reservation today before the local U-Haul store closes ( this IS a one horse town) I hate being repetitious, but better safe than sorry on the other end to pick the bike up...Thanks again to all RIDE SAFE

Last edited by tv5150; 05-12-2016 at 12:49 PM.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-13-2016, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
U-Haul 5 X 8 Enclosed Trailer Update

I got the trailer and IT DOES have "D" rings on the floor near all 4 corners and the flat wooded rails have small slots in them which you could feed a small strap from a ratchet tie thru there, I did close the door and measured from front to the door closed is just a little over 7'11&1/2" IF anyone out there sees a problem with that measurement, please reply to this post.
Keeping my fingers crossed all will be OK when I get the bike in there. I do have a homemade wheel chock I've used in the back of pick-ups before and it really seemed to do the job. Hope this info can help anyone about the above...RIDE SAFE
post #7 of 21 Old 05-13-2016, 01:08 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Garage
I just went to my work parking spot (motorcycle parking only pad ) and measured my bike. I have the rear carrier installed and that extends maybe an inch past the end of the saddlebags, which extends a few inches past the "tail feathers" (rear most end of rear fender It is difficult to measure accurately without actually parking the bike up against a wall and measuring from that to another at the tail. I came up with really close to 7'11" if the front tire was pressed to the front wall and to the rear of the saddlebags. IMHO that's not enough spare space to haul the bike without risk of damage to the bags, it will move a bit. Maybe remove the bags (have your Allen wrench set with you) and end up with a tiny bit more space and put foam around the tail. Tie down the front at just over the lower triple tree and cross the ties from left fork to right side and right fork to left side and compress the forks to significantly reduce or eliminate bounce (let the trailer handle that) and that will be plenty to keep it upright as long as the front steering is prevented from turning. Then tie the rear wheel to each side to prevent side to side movement and you should be good to go. This is just my opinion and others may have better information than this who have transported their bike this way.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- sold
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489 - sold
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-13-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I just went to my work parking spot (motorcycle parking only pad ) and measured my bike. I have the rear carrier installed and that extends maybe an inch past the end of the saddlebags, which extends a few inches past the "tail feathers" (rear most end of rear fender It is difficult to measure accurately without actually parking the bike up against a wall and measuring from that to another at the tail. I came up with really close to 7'11" if the front tire was pressed to the front wall and to the rear of the saddlebags. IMHO that's not enough spare space to haul the bike without risk of damage to the bags, it will move a bit. Maybe remove the bags (have your Allen wrench set with you) and end up with a tiny bit more space and put foam around the tail. Tie down the front at just over the lower triple tree and cross the ties from left fork to right side and right fork to left side and compress the forks to significantly reduce or eliminate bounce (let the trailer handle that) and that will be plenty to keep it upright as long as the front steering is prevented from turning. Then tie the rear wheel to each side to prevent side to side movement and you should be good to go. This is just my opinion and others may have better information than this who have transported their bike this way.
Bob, Thanks for measuring your bike, I think you can secure the door in the UP position, if so I'll do that, if not Plan B as you mentioned above.. Thanks for your tie-down tips, as I have been hauling bikes for almost 50 years, just not the CTX13. Do you or anyone else know if a CANYON DANCER handlebar harness will fit on the bars, they look to be pretty wide from what I've seen. But your tips could and would be appreciated by a 1st timer, as I can barely remember that 1st time(it was in '68) Hope you have a great weekend and can get in some riding time, thanks again...RIDE SAFE
post #9 of 21 Old 05-13-2016, 02:38 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Garage
I think I've heard that the Canyon Dancer harness will fit. Or maybe that there is a size that will, I don't know for sure. Personally I wouldn't use one... especially with such long bars as on the CTX. I've heard (not experienced) stories of bars, controls, and risers damaged from these due to excessive bounce and pull on the bar ends. Take that with a grain of salt. I've always been told since my Gold Wing days to tie down as I mentioned (didn't know your experience with hauling bikes). I've only hauled my Wing once due to a break down caused by the PO right after I bought it, tied down this way with no issues. I've witnessed it this way many times but much prefer to ride than haul any bike. I've yet to see a bike with which this method won't work.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- sold
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489 - sold
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-13-2016, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I think I've heard that the Canyon Dancer harness will fit. Or maybe that there is a size that will, I don't know for sure. Personally I wouldn't use one... especially with such long bars as on the CTX. I've heard (not experienced) stories of bars, controls, and risers damaged from these due to excessive bounce and pull on the bar ends. Take that with a grain of salt. I've always been told since my Gold Wing days to tie down as I mentioned (didn't know your experience with hauling bikes). I've only hauled my Wing once due to a break down caused by the PO right after I bought it, tied down this way with no issues. I've witnessed it this way many times but much prefer to ride than haul any bike. I've yet to see a bike with which this method won't work.
Thanks again Bob, if you look at my picture above U can see I had 4 bikes back in'08, GL18, ST11, ST13, and a 650 Burgman, and I tied all those bikes to transport them and other bikes before and after, (I've owned a little over 50 bikes in 49 yrs. check-out my albums which I posted a few of them, I have many more to go when I get around to it). I only use the CANYON DANCER from side to side and I do not apply excessive force, as I use soft ties on the bottom of the triple tree and I do not pull the forks down excessively. On the rear, I also use soft ties to the main part of the frame to create a counter force to even it out. I've never damaged bike in transit, In '79 I even use to pull my V-Max behind my 78 Corvette Pace Car using the smallest one rail open trailer that was made by Holsclaw. I've figured out what to do IF the door can't be closed without possible damage. I can use 2 small c-clamps to place on the rail the door rolls down on. And it'll be without having to use screws or anything else that would alter the trailer. So the trailer is out front, everything I need is loaded, all I have to do is get in my '76 Cadillac Coupe DeVille which has a 500 cu. in. big block and a TH400 that's was the trans. in pick-ups. Thanks again for your help. RIDE SAFE as always, Tom V
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1178.jpg (334.3 KB, 12 views)
bob likes this.

Last edited by tv5150; 05-13-2016 at 11:01 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page