Madstad Windscreen (Latest Version-new Screen Shape) Installed - Honda CTX1300 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tweak89
  • 1 Post By bob

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Madstad Windscreen (Latest Version-new Screen Shape) Installed

So, I already run an MRA X-Creen with my stock windscreen and LOVE IT! Love the look, and it works great for me. Key word "me". With the wife on board it doesn't do much of anything for her and she complains of too much wind buffeting. So, after looking at the few options we have I decided to go with the Madstad due to it's adjustablity AND more importantly the NEWLY REDESIGNED shape of the screen itself. IMO, the previous iterations of the screen were definitely function over form. Might not matter for most, but I want the accessories I add to my bike to at least blend well with the look.

So, got it in yesterday and installation was a snap. You do reuse the stock screen bolts, but replace the rubber grommets. That's the most complicated it gets. Although, if you've never removed your side mirror covers before (I have) might want to watch a vid or two as they can be hesistant, lol.

I can only give quick impressions, as the rest of this week/weekend looks to be rainy. I'll have a more detailed review of the functionality vs stock and MRA/Stock. But, my quick impression is that it should do the trick. Provides a bigger pocket of air and with adjustments (has rise and tilt) should be able to be dialed in for when I have a passenger.

I am pleased with the look. The bottom of the screen matches the lines of the headlights. From the seat, you can see how the angles at the corners match the angles on the side mirrors. This is something that was missing from the early versions.

Adjusting is a snap, although if you want to adjust the angle, you have to loosen the knobs a turn or two more than if you are just messing with the height.

So, I'll update this post when I've had some seat time and hopefully get some passenger impressions too.

FYI, if you head over to the Madstad website, they are using my pictures to show the new screen shape. While I'm not the first customer to purchase this version, they asked me for pictures since all they had was a line drawing of the new shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190506_185139.jpg (209.7 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190506_185154.jpg (151.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190506_185146.jpg (208.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190506_185223.jpg (161.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190506_185206.jpg (124.6 KB, 88 views)
Stlburd2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-08-2019, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone with the Madstad windscreen had any problems with it tweaking the fit of the plastic parts? The Honda tech that installed my Madstad said that the aluminum base of the windscreen pushes the black glossy plastic parts (on both sides of the "gas tank") so that they are maybe 1/8" further aft. That shift then causes the black matte pieces on the inside of the glossy ones to pop out a bit... the tabs don't hold it all together. I can post some pics later to show exactly what is going on but I wanted to put this out to the forum quickly once I saw the Madstad windscreen post. BTW, the windscreen is fantastic... works great and looks great.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-09-2019, 08:40 AM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Garage
He's lying. There should not be any affect to that location from the windshield and front panel... unless he installed it really wrong.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- sold
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489 - sold
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Some people dont deserve to be called a "Honda Tech". I have the 2nd Madstad shield made for the CTX and I can tell you it has no effect on the plastic bodywork. Best shield I ever rode with, and the new shield looks even better.

Otto
post #5 of 10 Old 05-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
@tweak89 - How tall are you and what size screen did you get? It looks like the 13". I am 5'9" but I sit pretty straight up.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-13-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm 5'-7", and it is the best 13". So far so good for my. I have it set pretty low and angled forward.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-13-2019, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 5’11” and like to look thru the WS plus my wife needs to keep the buffeting off her helmet behind me. I wonder if I should just get the largest WS they have?
post #8 of 10 Old 07-13-2019, 01:59 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Garage
Others may, and have, disagreed with me on this. My experience on my Gold Wing was a result of my attempts to remove buffeting from my wife riding pillion. The screen that came on the GW was not stock and was even worse than stock would have been. My back would take a beating from the return air stream trying to fill the vacuum behind the shield (that's where most buffeting comes from on ANY bike). When we rode 2 up my wife too that beating instead of my back. After trying many screens I settled on the tallest Tulsa screen available and matched that with Baker side wings and uppers as well as fairing deflectors. The result was she was riding in relative comfort and I was in a dead calm, but riding solo I was still getting beat up on my back. I also found it very bad looking through the screen any time there was rain or other debris like bugs that hit the screen. This Tulsa screen angled way back and way up well above my helmet. Add to that, I ALWAYS ride with a full face helmet with the visor down. I vowed I would NEVER own a bike with a screen so tall I had to look through it. In fact when I bought an ST1100 the screen top edge was right at my line of sight so I cut it down 2 inches and ended up with a perfect screen for me. The BEST option is to have the proper screen that will bump the air stream up over you and still let you look OVER the top of the screen. Many here have added a MRA X-Creen Sport Wing to the top of their shields to the top of their shields to do just that. These can be adjusted to put the air stream just where you want it and yet allow you a clear view over the top. It's a toss up to me if this or an adjustable screen is better.

One of the first things I noticed about the CTX1300 when I first rode it home from the dealer was that compared with any other bike I've ever been on this one provided the smoothest air stream coming off the fairing, even with the shorty stock screen. That air stream was strong to be sure, but very smooth even when passing big trucks on the highways. Others have reported buffeting but I still think they were just not used to a strong air stream and mistook that for buffeting. I've known severe buffeting on my Gold Wing and other bikes and this one never had that, ever. I have no issue with anyone not wanting to feel any strong or even less strong air stream so there are many options for different riders. I would suggest from my experience trying to eliminate wind for my pillion rider to go with something that will shape and direct the wind properly, which likely is NOT just the biggest screen you can find. That has the strong possibility of resulting in more buffeting than you would get without any screen. Barn doors have a tendency to do that.

Personally I like the air stream to hit just at the top of my helmet where there air vents are located. That way the helmet vents as it should and I stay cool and comfy. Of course these days I only ride solo any more so that does determine what I currently prefer. But I still say to shape and control where the wind goes. Simply displacing the air you push through will cause a back draft that will beat you both up.
F16Vet likes this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- sold
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489 - sold
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-13-2019, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Others may, and have, disagreed with me on this. My experience on my Gold Wing was a result of my attempts to remove buffeting from my wife riding pillion. The screen that came on the GW was not stock and was even worse than stock would have been. My back would take a beating from the return air stream trying to fill the vacuum behind the shield (that's where most buffeting comes from on ANY bike). When we rode 2 up my wife too that beating instead of my back. After trying many screens I settled on the tallest Tulsa screen available and matched that with Baker side wings and uppers as well as fairing deflectors. The result was she was riding in relative comfort and I was in a dead calm, but riding solo I was still getting beat up on my back. I also found it very bad looking through the screen any time there was rain or other debris like bugs that hit the screen. This Tulsa screen angled way back and way up well above my helmet. Add to that, I ALWAYS ride with a full face helmet with the visor down. I vowed I would NEVER own a bike with a screen so tall I had to look through it. In fact when I bought an ST1100 the screen top edge was right at my line of sight so I cut it down 2 inches and ended up with a perfect screen for me. The BEST option is to have the proper screen that will bump the air stream up over you and still let you look OVER the top of the screen. Many here have added a MRA X-Creen Sport Wing to the top of their shields to the top of their shields to do just that. These can be adjusted to put the air stream just where you want it and yet allow you a clear view over the top. It's a toss up to me if this or an adjustable screen is better.

One of the first things I noticed about the CTX1300 when I first rode it home from the dealer was that compared with any other bike I've ever been on this one provided the smoothest air stream coming off the fairing, even with the shorty stock screen. That air stream was strong to be sure, but very smooth even when passing big trucks on the highways. Others have reported buffeting but I still think they were just not used to a strong air stream and mistook that for buffeting. I've known severe buffeting on my Gold Wing and other bikes and this one never had that, ever. I have no issue with anyone not wanting to feel any strong or even less strong air stream so there are many options for different riders. I would suggest from my experience trying to eliminate wind for my pillion rider to go with something that will shape and direct the wind properly, which likely is NOT just the biggest screen you can find. That has the strong possibility of resulting in more buffeting than you would get without any screen. Barn doors have a tendency to do that.

Personally I like the air stream to hit just at the top of my helmet where there air vents are located. That way the helmet vents as it should and I stay cool and comfy. Of course these days I only ride solo any more so that does determine what I currently prefer. But I still say to shape and control where the wind goes. Simply displacing the air you push through will cause a back draft that will beat you both up.

I might be with Bob on this point. The CTX I test-drove before getting mine had the Honda Tall (with 2 vents in it) windscreen and I looked over it rather than through it. My new bike has the Cee Bailey with the adjustable vent near the middle and I have to look through the windscreen (I'm 5' 7"). I notice there is distortion near the upper edge, about 2-3 inches down and it is annoying. I got the Honda Tall along with the bike so I may swap them out to see if I like it better. I'll let everyone know what I found.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-15-2019, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
@tweak89 Dont tell any of the other guys and gals who have a red CTX but DANG the black looks good on the CTX.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page