LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 08-21-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
SLP

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
1/8" gap at the base of the windshield ...

I've had most of the plastic covering off for several project ..broken tab ...wiring for accessories but never the windshield.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147916...57686545190395

Today I noticed a 1/8" gap between the cowling and the windshield, about 10" long located dead center.. There is a rubber strip there that seems to suggest water might pose a problem getting down there. It's as if the cowling has a slight outward warp that is pulling the rubber strip away from the windshield.

Anyone know what lies beneath here ? Guess I could tape off the rubber and the windshield and try to run a thin clean strip of clear RTV silicone just at the gap if needed, but would rather not.

I usually use a garden hose on spray pattern to wet the bike, wash, then and rinse after. No doubt water has gotten down there a few times.

Last edited by SLP; 08-21-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-21-2019, 06:02 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Garage
So never had the front garnish plastic below the shield off?
There should be a patch of Dual Lock (similar to Velcro but industrial strength and holds much better) located just in the center of the front garnish and also the matching patch on the center of the shield to hold that. It may be become flexed at some point and popped off or perhaps the self adhesive for those patches let go. Also, if you've had the screws off for the clips that hold the mirror covers on the front garnish may need to be rechecked for alignment on each side. The 2 top screw/clips for the mirror covers also are the only screws that hold on that plastic panel, along with a few tabs along the front edge. When replacing the stock shorty shield with any other windshield that Dual Lock patch on the original factory shield must be retained and stuck onto the new shield since it doesn't come with a new shield. This is what usually helps to hold that gap closed. If you have the tall windshield on the bike then someone at sometime removed that panel and when the taller shield was installed they may not have moved that Dual Lock patch to the shield installed.
SLP likes this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- sold
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489 - sold
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page