LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-05-2020, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smile Help with brake lights not working

Hey everyone.
My name is Ed, I live south of ATL and I purchased a CTX deluxe with 16k around 4 months ago. I think its a great bike to ride and I am looking forward to putting in a lot of saddle time. I have had about 14 bikes over the last 30 plus years. I also have a new Harley Softail Lowrider, but I really like riding the CTX more.

I know I have seen someone with a CTX in the Newnan and Tyrone area recently. If you are on this forum and up for a ride, let me know.

Ok.. now I need some help.

I have done several maintenance items on the bike, and today I did the brakes front and rear. I could not get the brake light to work. I took it down the road a few miles and they started working again. I figured some sort of reset with the ABS.
I rode for an hour stopping and turning the bike off a few times and the brake light does not work now.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-05-2020, 08:12 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum @Atlanta Ed .
You should likely start with checking the brake switch at the lever for the front brake or there is a spring on the switch for the rear brake pedal just next to the rear brake master cylinder (inboard from the pedal inside the frame tube). Should be no issue with the ABS. I've replaced pads and fluid on both brake systems before with no issues caused by the ABS.

/bob
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS - my current ride
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 - wife's ride
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-05-2020, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the tip.
I actually did check those 2 items before I went out and they seemed to be in working order. What is strange is that it started working and now it doesn't. I'm still scratching my head to figure this out.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-05-2020, 09:29 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Garage
Moved your posts here in the Electronics sub-forum for discussion to find a resolution.

Does seem strange that the lights were working but now are not. Do you hear a click at the switch when you operate the brake (lever or pedal)? Is there a difference if using just rear or just front?
Servicing brakes should not normally change anything electrically with the brake light or switches.
Was the service replacing the brake pads or fluid or both?
Check fuses?

/bob
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS - my current ride
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 - wife's ride
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-06-2020, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The brake lever does click and I also removed and reconnected the switch. The brake pedal does not click, (but I'm not sure that it should). I also disconnect/reconnect the switch. I disconnected the negative on the battery and checked the fuses.
The guy I bought the bike from said he had just flushed all of the fluids. I did have to bleed one of the front brake lines because pushing the pistons back would have over filled the reservoir. I have the service manual which has been helpful. I can't figure out if it is ABS related.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page