LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 10-18-2014, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Led fog lamp kit

Well... I bit the bullet and bought the Honda LED Fog Lamp Kit. I finally got everything installed and put back together. These puppies are BRIGHT!! Let me know what you think????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-10-17 23.35.48.jpg (220.0 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-10-17 23.35.56.jpg (225.6 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-10-18 00.30.05.jpg (186.1 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-10-18 00.30.12.jpg (178.3 KB, 405 views)
bob, Stlburd2, togojeff and 5 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-18-2014, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
They look good to me. Do you dare turn them on and take a picture? Might burn the camera out.
What do they bolt to? Is the wireing on the bike ready for the lights?
Where is the switch mounted? Is that a prepared place?

Rav
Oh No! Another learning experience.

prior and current bikes:
  • 1980 CX500 Deluxe
  • 1983 GL650 Silverwing Interstate
  • 1990 Pacific Coast
  • 2002 ST1100
  • CTX1300 Red Deluxe#703
post #3 of 27 Old 10-18-2014, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I can try and take a picture with the lights on, but may not be able to see much with all the light. I will try though and see what it looks like, if I can see anything I will post it. The are mounted just below the crash bar that sticks out on both sides of the bike. One of my pictures shows pretty good where they mount. You should be able to make the picture larger so you can see a close up of how they're mounted. The bike is already pre-wired for the LED light kit, but you have to buy the lights and the LED light driver as one kit and buy the mounting kit to do the install. The mounting kit comes with a wiring harness for the lights and to plug into the existing wiring on the bike. The mounting kit also comes with a new knob for the driving light switch which is already on the right switch bank. Also when you turn the lights on there is a green light on the dash that lights up too that shows that they are on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravgardner! View Post
They look good to me. Do you dare turn them on and take a picture? Might burn the camera out.
What do they bolt to? Is the wireing on the bike ready for the lights?
Where is the switch mounted? Is that a prepared place?
sleepngbear and Stlburd2 like this.

post #4 of 27 Old 10-18-2014, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierman View Post
(...) The bike is already pre-wired for the LED light kit (...)The mounting kit comes with a wiring harness for the lights and to plug into the existing wiring on the bike(...)
Which in my book amounts to "no, it's not". "Pre-wired" means "I plug the lights and at most a switch in and I'm good to go".

A driver box + a rather complex harness with expensive and different connectors at each of its 6 (!) ends + a power relay doesn't count as "nothing", so the fact that all that has to be added doesn't count as "pre-wired".

Enter the term "prepared for", often used in the auto industry to depict a situation not unlike the one of the Fog Lights on the CTX1300: there is a plug somewhere and we tried not to make it impossible for you to do it.
"Prepared for iPod input" = "there is a plug somewhere and the audio head unit has an iPod input button/menu entry"
"Pre-wired for iPod input" = "there is an iPod connector in the center console and it's plug-and-play".
Stlburd2 and menosabe like this.

@Dexter

1997 Yamaha Virago XV535 blue/white (gifted to my brother when I left the country, photo)
2011 Harley-Davidson Sportster SuperLow XL883L black (sold back to the dealer, photo)
2001 Yamaha Royal Star Venture XVZ13TF light metallic green/dark green (traded in for the CTX, story, photo)
2014 Honda CTX1300 black (current ride, photo)
post #5 of 27 Old 10-18-2014, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well the bike is already pre wired for the lights from the factory with the plugs pre wired and so in my opinion it's a plug n play type hook up. The hardest part of the whole process was figuring out exactly how to route the small wiring harness. The actual plugging everything up was not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdexter View Post
Which in my book amounts to "no, it's not". "Pre-wired" means "I plug the lights and at most a switch in and I'm good to go".

A driver box + a rather complex harness with expensive and different connectors at each of its 6 (!) ends + a power relay doesn't count as "nothing", so the fact that all that has to be added doesn't count as "pre-wired".

Enter the term "prepared for", often used in the auto industry to depict a situation not unlike the one of the Fog Lights on the CTX1300: there is a plug somewhere and we tried not to make it impossible for you to do it.
"Prepared for iPod input" = "there is a plug somewhere and the audio head unit has an iPod input button/menu entry"
"Pre-wired for iPod input" = "there is an iPod connector in the center console and it's plug-and-play".
Stlburd2 likes this.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-19-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
. The mounting kit also comes with a new knob for the driving light switch which is already on the right switch bank. Also when you turn the lights on there is a green light on the dash that lights up too that shows that they are on.
I don't understand your description of the "driving light switch... on the right switch bank." So maybe a new rocker switch is added to right bank? Can you take a picture of it?

Rav

prior and current bikes:
  • 1980 CX500 Deluxe
  • 1990 Pacific Coast
  • 2002 ST1100
  • CTX1300 Red Deluxe#703
post #7 of 27 Old 10-19-2014, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Well the bike is already pre wired for the lights from the factory with the plugs pre wired(...)
The plugs which the fog lights plug into are part of the harness in the kit, not of the bike's harness. Therefore, not factory pre-wired :-)
Honda ain't stupid: if it were pre-wired everybody could install their own lights for a fraction of the price and they can't have that.

Quote:
I don't understand your description of the "driving light switch... on the right switch bank." So maybe a new rocker switch is added to right bank?
On the right switch bank, the outermost switch is a dummy cover over a real switch. The dummy cover has a longer (higher) skirt which prevents it from being depressed -- you replace that cover with the one in the kit which has the skirt of the same depth as the other buttons in the row, thus mechanically enabling the usage of the switch it sits upon.
The real switch has a short cable which plugs into a dummy connector taped to the wire harness -- you take it out of the dummy plug and connect it to one of the ends of the wire harness in the kit.

@Dexter

1997 Yamaha Virago XV535 blue/white (gifted to my brother when I left the country, photo)
2011 Harley-Davidson Sportster SuperLow XL883L black (sold back to the dealer, photo)
2001 Yamaha Royal Star Venture XVZ13TF light metallic green/dark green (traded in for the CTX, story, photo)
2014 Honda CTX1300 black (current ride, photo)
post #8 of 27 Old 10-19-2014, 03:02 PM

I'm serious when I say Thank you for answering my questions. I like more lights and maybe these will work for me. But considering my tip over troubles, I wonder if the bike went down on its side, what will hit the pavement first, the crash bar or the fog light?

Rav

prior and current bikes:
  • 1980 CX500 Deluxe
  • 1990 Pacific Coast
  • 2002 ST1100
  • CTX1300 Red Deluxe#703
post #9 of 27 Old 10-20-2014, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Hos much did the WHOLE kit cost from dealer,, Thanks
post #10 of 27 Old 10-20-2014, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Here is a picture of the LED light switch that is with the right side switch bank. Hope that helps you out.

Quote:
I don't understand your description of the "driving light switch... on the right switch bank." So maybe a new rocker switch is added to right bank? Can you take a picture of it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-10-20 07.53.42.jpg (63.9 KB, 297 views)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page