Honda CTX1300 Forum

Honda CTX1300 Forum (https://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/)
-   Engine and Technical Discussion (https://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/)
-   -   Overheated! (https://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/36131-overheated.html)

ra3boy 10-05-2019 07:16 PM

Overheated!

1 Attachment(s)
After 300 miles in beautiful Catskills, got stuck in traffic @ G. Washington Bridge-50 minutes stand still.
As soon as I entered NYC via FDR drive, Temp light came on. Traffic eased up, and temp. light went off.
Then it started steaming out of coolant overflow hose...
I pulled over and quickly stepped away from the bike. My first thought it was on fire...
Long story short: temp. light would come on as soon as my speed dropped below 10 mph.
I had to wait till late night to avoid traffic, and barely made it home with no coolant in reservoir.
The fan motor overheated( Panasonic 12vdc motor, feels like it's biding inside) and melted the core of fan, thus temp light would go away at greater speeds.
Waiting for parts....

Illinois 10-05-2019 10:42 PM

Sucks!!! Glad you were able to limp on home. :eek:

charlie marlow 10-06-2019 07:46 AM

Oh wow! My Kawasaki Concours I used to have had a section in the manual warning to never let the engine idle for more than 10 or 15 (don't recall which) without shutting it down to let it cool off, but I haven't seen any similar warnings for the CTX.

One of the things that bugs me about the CTX is that it doesn't appear to have a real temperature gauge. Instead, it looks like it's the same as the dummy lights in disguise on most cars today where it reads cold, then "normal", then hot with no real in-between. A proper gauge could have given a bit more warning that things were starting to get too hot.

BlueThunder 10-06-2019 08:07 AM

I too have been stick in NYC traffic for extended time many times. Traffic is a way of life in NYC. Try going through Staten Island during rush hour. Never had a problem with over heating despite being stuck for hours. I suspect your cooling system had an issue before hitting the traffic.

charlie marlow 10-06-2019 08:35 AM

That's what bothers me about the fake gauge - how would you know if the cooling system isn't performing as well as it should if it's not bad enough that it's overheating yet?

I pulled up the Kawasaki manual and it actually says to not let the Concours C14 idle for more than 5 minutes!

ra3boy 10-06-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueThunder (Post 379011)
I too have been stick in NYC traffic for extended time many times. Traffic is a way of life in NYC. Try going through Staten Island during rush hour. Never had a problem with over heating despite being stuck for hours. I suspect your cooling system had an issue before hitting the traffic.

Totally agree, but I was riding with a group , so not much choice there. Palisades parkway is just that much better than Turnpike.
Over 2.5 years of owning CTX temp bar never exceeded 3 bars- dead in the middle. Be it brutal NYC hot summer or extreme cold winter, it is always in the middle.
It’s now a “perfect “opportunity to flush that 5 yo coolant:)

charlie marlow 10-06-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ra3boy (Post 379019)
Over 2.5 years of owning CTX temp bar never exceeded 3 bars- dead in the middle. Be it brutal NYC hot summer or extreme cold winter, it is always in the middle.

That's because it's just a three position indicator: cold, normal, and overheating. Nearly all oil and temp gauges on modern cars operate the same way, and it seems it's starting to show up on motorcycles, though, that may just be Honda and it may be fairly model specific. Maybe it's a real temperature gauge, but, if it is, the CTX is able to maintain a super-narrow temperature range better than anything I've ever operated or the steps are so wide as to be useless.

ra3boy 10-07-2019 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the motor dissected : one of the bearings is shot and caused rotor to jam, thus it overheated and melted the fan.
I’m still waiting for Mother Honda to ship the replacement part from Japan.

Stlburd2 10-07-2019 03:33 PM

How about the thermostat ? Any thoughts on changing it out while your in there?

ra3boy 10-07-2019 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stlburd2 (Post 379043)
How about the thermostat ? Any thoughts on changing it out while your in there?

No need at this time. I ran engine (with added coolant) before removing radiator: I could feel the lower hose got the flow going after some idling.
Then again, removing the thermostat involves removal of throttle body... I'm not ready to dig that deep yet.
I, however, do contemplate an idea of ditching radiator guard for good and getting a fender extender...
BTW, does anyone know flow direction of the fan? It is same fan as newer GoldiWing, so is it blowing towards the radiator?