Idle has changed - Page 2 - Honda CTX1300 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 11-23-2019, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Update: I removed the entire air cleaner housing to access the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve), and I tested it per the manual. It functions correctly.

I have examined the various air hoses. All appear in good condition with no cracking or lose connections.

The Air Control Valve, which sits atop the upper air cleaner housing, functions also.

I am still experiencing high idle at 2,000 RPM.

On occasion, idle will decrease say after turning off the bike and restarting; however, twisting the throttle, and releasing causes the 2,000 rpm again.

2014 CTX700 white (totaled by deer)
2014 CTX1300 Red Enchantress (current)

"We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us." & so, "The roads we map...map us." - Shane

Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere as long as the policy you've decided upon is being carried out. - Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 11-30-2019, 12:21 AM

After changing the filter and testing the IACV and 3 other sensors, and hoses, I am at a loss as how to resolve my 2,000rom idle.

I also adjusted the throttle system per the manual, and fuel system inspection and secondary air as all part of the troubleshooting per the manual.

I took the Red Enchantress by my local bike shop (not a Honda dealership), and we discussed what I had done. The fellow said that it sounded like I had done more than what was needed to resolve the problem. The owner admitted that he would be willing to work on the bike, but admitted that he likely would not succeed or easily being unfamiliar with it. That said, he recommended that invite the bullet and take my bike to the more expensive dealer (hour rate) to save money. 🤦‍♂️

Even this time of year, they are three weeks out, so I have an appointment to take her and drop her off. In the meantime, I will tolerate the idle and continue to ride.
TDWright likes this.

"We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us." & so, "The roads we map...map us." - Shane

Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere as long as the policy you've decided upon is being carried out. - Ronald Reagan
post #13 of 23 Old 11-30-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Last week there were two days that was warm enough to go for a ride, so the wife unit one each took it to Hagerstown to do a little Christmas shopping...…. at times it idled at 2k and others at 1k. All at normal operating temperature...…… and after having driven on 45 mph roads and freeway.

Bob, I don't remember it idling at 2K after being up to temp while sitting at stop lights...…..

Tim

post #14 of 23 Old 11-30-2019, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Since you said it'll come back up to 2,000 RPM after you give it throttle, have you checked to be sure the throttle is returning all the way back? I'm pretty sure you have, but just wanted to make sure nothing simple was getting overlooked since I didn't see any mention of that end of things in the earlier posts.
post #15 of 23 Old 12-03-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie marlow View Post
Since you said it'll come back up to 2,000 RPM after you give it throttle, have you checked to be sure the throttle is returning all the way back? I'm pretty sure you have, but just wanted to make sure nothing simple was getting overlooked since I didn't see any mention of that end of things in the earlier posts.
post #16 of 23 Old 12-08-2019, 09:46 PM

I have a date this Saturday with the dealer. I was unable to resolve it, and my local general bike shop recommended the dealer.

As soon as my high idle (2 - 2.3k) is resolved, I'll report back.
fbnewell1 likes this.

post #17 of 23 Old 12-09-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
So this is what happened yesterday. Bike wasn’t driven for about 4 weeks. It’s been parked in a cold garage hooked on battery tender . It took couple of more cranks than normal for the bike to start, after starting the bike idle was at 2000 rpm. I left it to worm up for about 10 minutes ( outside temperature 42F ) , after worm up the idle went down to about 1000 rpm. Went for a ride for about 5-6 miles, stoping on stop signs and lights the rpms ware between 1200-1300 rpm , and gradually dropping down longer I was sitting stoped. Stopped at a gas station filled the gas tank with premium and added “Stabil” in the fuel. Then took the long way back to the garage, about 10-11 miles with only one stoping on stop light( rpm 1000). When finally parked the bike the rpm was steady at 1000 rpm.
post #18 of 23 Old 12-09-2019, 01:13 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Garage
Just a thought.
Since premium (92 PON) gas is NOT needed in this engine... normally (designed for regular)... and the bike computer has to adjust the spark and ignition timing to burn premium gas...
Is the OP using premium fuel? If so, is it possible that the specific blend of premium being used is at fault for the bike computer holding the idle high?
Just a thought.
jmhudman likes this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- sold
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489- tied for best road bike- sold
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS- tied for best road bike
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
post #19 of 23 Old 12-19-2019, 10:01 PM

Update:

Bike has been at the local Honda dealership since the 14th.

They have NO clue either as to what is causing the fast idle. They are awaiting resolution from Honda.

The tech remarked that he suspects that Honda is uncertain to the cause.

...to be continued...

post #20 of 23 Old 12-20-2019, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMileAttaTime View Post
Update:

Bike has been at the local Honda dealership since the 14th.

They have NO clue either as to what is causing the fast idle. They are awaiting resolution from Honda.

The tech remarked that he suspects that Honda is uncertain to the cause.

...to be continued...
Thanks for keeping us informed on this issue! But I gotta wonder... does Honda even care?

Chris

1973 Honda CL100
1974 Kawasaki Mach I 250
1988 Honda VF750C "Super" Magna (gone but not forgotten)
1999 Honda VF750C Magna (passed on to my son)
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe SN 269

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page