11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-11-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Idle has changed

My engine idle has been consistently taching at 2k rather than the normal 1k.

Any thoughts?

TD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-11-2019, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage
I would start by disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes or so, to see if the system will reset. You didn't mention a check engine light so I assume it hasn't thrown any codes.

43 years riding experience
To many bikes over the years to list
Current stable includes a 2014 Honda CTX 1300 and a 2014 Star XV950 Bolt
post #3 of 18 Old 11-11-2019, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Same thing happen to me too. The bike was sitting for about 2 weeks, it started fine, but the idle was around 2k. It was very cold outside, around 34-36F . I went for a short ride, 6 miles in total, before parking it the idle went back to normal.

post #4 of 18 Old 11-12-2019, 12:04 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Garage
2000 rpm is normal for idle. It should drop gradually and settle around 1100 rpm when one or two bars show up on the engine temp gauge. Outside temp will only affect how long it takes to do that. But if it's really cold, like getting near zeroF or lower, it may even possibly stay at 2 bars when at speed... normal again until you slow to street speeds or stop and then the 3rd bar will show up. Idle will stay a little high in those conditions. I've seen as high as 1500 rpm in really cold temps (below zeroF) until the engine warms up at a stop light. This would happen on really cold mornings on my ride to work when idle at the stop light would at first be near 2000 and then drop if it's a long light at the end of my ride.

If the rpm never drops after prolonged warm up with 3 bars showing on the gauge then possibly the ECM as @cefox implies.
Make sure the engine is not overheating (more than 3 bars) as that will indicate a problem in the cooling system (sensors?) that tells the ECM when the engine is warmed up.
It also could be a vacuum leak somewhere (more likely) or even a problem with the air intake system, intake leak or idle air control valve (I think the CTX has this being fuel injected).
Or even the fuel pressure regulator.
Many of these systems and sensors are controlled by the ECM. That doesn't mean the ECM is the issue but that these all send data to the ECM and if any one of them is faulty the ECM can hold idle high.

Most FI engines are similar for this issue. You can search online and find many articles suggesting what to check for this condition. Search on "high idle fuel injected engine" to get lots of results.
If I still had the service manual I would look up the actual trouble shooting steps for this condition.
docD likes this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- sold
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489- tied for best road bike- sold
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS- tied for best road bike
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-12-2019, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
From tech manual
Idle speed - 1000 +-100
Engine must be warm for accurate inspection
Inspect
No MIL blinking
Spark plug condition
Secondary air supply system condition
Air cleaner condition

If out of spec, check

intake air leak or top end problem
throttle operation and free play
IACV operation
HansenCTX and docD like this.

Bruce B
Sequim, WA
Honda Shadow - didn't keep it long enough to recall year.
89 Goldwing 1500
Yamaha Vstar 1100 - again not long enough to recall
05 Victory Kingpin Anniversary 1500
14 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe Red with farkles.

Plus British Columbia, Canada
post #6 of 18 Old 11-13-2019, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Battery is dying.

Higher idle is the alternator recharging the battery to get it up to voltage. Once it reaches 14 Volts it should drop down to 1'ish...

If I have my bike on the trickle charger it starts and idles fine. If I jump the bike it idles high until the battery is recharged.

Yes I know... The new battery will be installed in the spring when I change all my fluids and tires.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-14-2019, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDWright View Post
My engine idle has been consistently taching at 2k rather than the normal 1k.

Any thoughts?

TD
TD,
Are you still having the problem? Or has it "magically" fixed itself? I have had this problem several times (sometimes after a long ride so I know it is not a warm up problem), and started a thread about it long ago. There were several others that have also had this problem on and off - and there were some suggestions about how to "fix" it (ranging from disconnect the battery to reset the ECU to my favorite, the "Italian tune-up" - which is take the bike out and wring the piss out of it). I have tried these methods and have been "fooled" a couple times into thinking I had actually solved the problem. But I have found the truth of the matter is that it just somehow "fixed" itself regardless of what I did.

Now I am smart enough to know that nothing is fixed and this will for sure crop up again - and it is most likely a sensor input to the ECU that is temperamental. Your thread has some much better technical discussion - and I am sure that some day it will get figured out. I was just wondering if your problem (like mine) has just solved itself.
TDWright likes this.

Chris

1973 Honda CL100
1974 Kawasaki Mach I 250
1988 Honda VF750C "Super" Magna (gone but not forgotten)
1999 Honda VF750C Magna (passed on to my son)
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe SN 269
post #8 of 18 Old 11-17-2019, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
My CTX has just started to idle around 2k. Initial start-up is at normal rpm, but after running the bike a bit, it remains at 2k.

Today, I removed the cowlings and the air filter to install a new one. The new filter arrives tomorrow, and I hope the new clean filter will solve my high idle issue because my filter is dirty with 21,600 on the odometer.

Additionally, my bike has the original OEM battery, a new OEM grade battery will be installed, because I have noticed a weak start, which is causing me to wonder if the battery is going bad causing the bike to idle higher to charge the battery.

Lastly, with everything off, I changed all the coolant.

I took my time to remove all the paneling, and it took me a quick 4 hours to carefully remove everything without any damage. No, the bike is not reassembled yet! Though, thus labor is saving me $550 at my local Honda shop!
bob, Stlburd2, Stirling and 1 others like this.

2014 CTX700 white (totaled by deer)
2014 CTX1300 Red Enchantress (current)

"We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us." & so, "The roads we map...map us." - Shane

Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere as long as the policy you've decided upon is being carried out. - Ronald Reagan
post #9 of 18 Old 11-20-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
It is too cold for me to ride these days... so I am stuck at my original post..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm76 View Post
TD,
Are you still having the problem? Or has it "magically" fixed itself? I have had this problem several times (sometimes after a long ride so I know it is not a warm up problem), and started a thread about it long ago. There were several others that have also had this problem on and off - and there were some suggestions about how to "fix" it (ranging from disconnect the battery to reset the ECU to my favorite, the "Italian tune-up" - which is take the bike out and wring the piss out of it). I have tried these methods and have been "fooled" a couple times into thinking I had actually solved the problem. But I have found the truth of the matter is that it just somehow "fixed" itself regardless of what I did.

Now I am smart enough to know that nothing is fixed and this will for sure crop up again - and it is most likely a sensor input to the ECU that is temperamental. Your thread has some much better technical discussion - and I am sure that some day it will get figured out. I was just wondering if your problem (like mine) has just solved itself.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-23-2019, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
After replacing the air filter and installing a new OEM battery, I reconnected all the plugs and such. But I did not put the Tupperware together. I started the bike let it warm up.

The bike started like a champ! However, it remains at 2 grand at idle.

So today, with the bike disassembled, I shall remove the remaining air housing (lower) to test the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve).

I feel that it is working correctly, but I am near enough to it that I will test it per the manual, which is easy enough.
TDWright likes this.

2014 CTX700 white (totaled by deer)
2014 CTX1300 Red Enchantress (current)

"We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us." & so, "The roads we map...map us." - Shane

Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere as long as the policy you've decided upon is being carried out. - Ronald Reagan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page