bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Add a map of States visited to your signature

Had a request about how I added a map of States visited to my signature so here is how to do it if you are so inclined. There was posted this information on the ST-Owners forum many years ago for this same purpose and many members over there have one in their signature.

Creating the map:

Goto THIS web site: www.epgsoft.com
Yes, this is the same site as mentioned in another thread on this forum. The initial page at this link is the main page where you choose which map you want to make. Visited States Map (USA), Visited Provinces Map (Canada), and Visited Mexican States Map (uh, Mexico). Select which one you want. You can save more than one map, separately, and use a graphics program such as Gimp or PhotoShop or MS Paint to merge them. If you are in another country than provided for at this site you will need to search if there is an equivalent site to this for your country.

Once you are at the map page you want you can click on the States or Provinces where you have visited (by bike for our purposes) and that State/Province will fill in with a colour.

I highly recommend that if you plan to use this map in your signature to select the "Small" size. Any other size may not import.

Change the File Format to PNG so the colours don't bleed across.

Then click on Create Map. Look over the result and if you need to change it click on Edit Map to go back to the prior page and make your changes. If it is good to you click on Download Map to save it to a folder on your computer. Doesn't matter where as long as you remember where you put it and I would also suggest keeping it in case you want to use it other places or need to re-add it here. Be sure to give it a file name that you will remember and makes sense to you. This also doesn't matter what you name it, totally up to you as long as you don't change the ".png" at the end of the name.

Now to put it in your signature:

On the forum (any page) click on "User CP" in the upper right below the red bar. That will take you to your control panel to modify your profile settings.

Find Edit Signature in the Settings & Options section on the left panel and click on that.

If you have already set up your signature you will see a preview of it at the top. Below that will be the edit box for your signature where you can make changes, create a signature for yourself if haven't yet (including adding web links or other things same as a post). Keep scrolling down from there to the Signature Picture section. There are 2 options to Upload Signature Picture. You will need to do this first before you Insert Signature Picture.

If you saved the map picture as I mentioned above you will want to click the Browse button to select that file.

After you have selected the file you saved previously click on the red Upload button below that. The map should then upload and show in the upper part of the Signature Picture section.

Now go back to the edit box above this section and click on the line where you want the map to show. I recommend you make a new line (hit Enter) to insert the map onto or it may not show as you intended.

Go back to the Signature Picture section and NOW click on the Insert Signature Picture link. This will add the code {SIGPIC}{/SIGPIC} where you selected (with square brackets rather than squiggly brackets I used here to enable the actual code to show).

Go to the bottom below the Signature Picture section to click on Preview Signature to ensure it shows up as you like. Make any changes if needed. Then click on the Save Signature button to save it and it should show up as part of your signature in any posts that include your signature.

Note: if your signature doesn't show up in any post then you will need to edit your options to turn that feature on. Click on Edit Options in the Settings & Options section on the left panel. Scroll down in the list of options and find the option to Show Signatures. Put a check mark for that one. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Save Changes.

Note2: There are other methods to this madness also. You can find any map you want, save the image to your computer, and use a photo editing program to make it look as you want. Keep in mind the size limits to upload as a signature picture: 500 x 100 pixels or 9.8kb size, which ever is smaller. You can only insert one signature picture.

Forgive me if this is a bit long. Just an attempt to be complete and provide the information for those who need it. Enjoy the results.

ps- I've made this a sticky to be easy to find. I've also locked this thread. Any questions may be submitted in another thread in the Forum Information and Help forum or you may send me a Private Message and I will assist as best I can.
Lighter likes this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- sold
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489- tied for best road bike- sold
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS- tied for best road bike
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.

Last edited by bob; 01-08-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-21-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
bob
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
The forum admins have granted that all members will have the permissions to upload a photo in their signature. To verify this please start from any forum page and click on "User CP" in the upper right below the red bar. That will take you to your control panel to modify your profile settings. Find Edit Signature in the Settings & Options section on the left panel and click on that. Scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the signature permission setting "Can Upload Images for Signature." That should now be set to Yes. If it is not please send me a PM. If it is you may proceed with the steps in post 1 of this thread to install a map (or any other small photo) in your signature.
jeffz likes this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489- tied for best road bike- sold
post #3 of 4 Old 03-23-2016, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
bob
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Seems there was a slight hitch in this option even after permissions were initially given for all members to upload a photo. The photo size was limited to 1x1 pixel or 1 byte size which is less than the size of the period at the end of this sentence.

Well, that little hiccup should now be fixed as well and you all should have an image size of 500 by 100 pixels or 9.8 KB (whichever is smaller) indicated.
Danny Boy likes this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1998 Honda ST1100- sold

post #4 of 4 Old 03-24-2016, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Hey there,

Thank you for changing that!
Also thank you for the tutorial above!

Richard.
Closed Thread

User Tag List