26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 03-29-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Troyís CTX1300Dlx log

I officially bought the bike last week in Lincoln NE from Rodís power sports and rode it home to Alabama in 30* weather. It was cold, I caught a cold, but man was it fun and Iíd do it again tomorrow.

This is my thread to document the bike as I bought it and record the progress I make with it as time goes by. It will also serve to document the progress I make on the trailer hitch and trailer to pull behind the CTX.

I was searching the country for the ďrightĒ CTX1300. My requirements were Blue. Thatís it, the bike had to be blue. I found a pair of brand new standards in MD for $6999. I thought for sure I was going to pick one of those up however to be thorough I figured I better check all the bases. As I was looking I realized that with my plan to pull a trailer the abs and linked brakes would be a bike safety enhancement. I could put on my own audio(if you are considering it hit me up I had a lot worked out and better than the deluxes system) and I can care less about the auto canceling turn signals. But the brakes convinced me to go deluxe. However there werenít any new blue deluxes available and the closest to new was a $10k bike in Chicago. Rod and Kurt made me an excellent deal in Lincoln and assured me I could buy the extended warranty so I was sold. More on what I later learned was a FANTASTIC deal to come as the story progresses.

To kick it off I will put in the pictures from the pickup adventure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by troystg; 03-29-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-29-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The ride back to Al... It is an asin bike. If you are going to spill something then I guess Fried rice was appropriate.

The second morning...

Yes that is frost on the windshield as it was below freezing.

post #3 of 26 Old 03-29-2019, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Welcome and congratulation!
TDWright and troystg like this.

Paul S.
--------------------------
1985 Kawasaki 450LTD
1988 Honda VF750C "Super Magna"
1992 Yamaha Virago 250
1994 Yamaha FJ1200ABS
2000 Suzuki Burgman 400
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2004 Kawasaki Concours 1000
2015 Honda CTX700 manual shift
2015 Honda CTX1300 D
2018 Honda "CTX1800" Tour DCT

post #4 of 26 Old 03-29-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Troyís CTX1300Dlx log

Back to the deal...

I was doing some work in Wichita Ks so I figured a short ride, why not go look at the bike. Iím close enough.

Friday I take off in the morning, drive 4 hours up to Rodís, look the bike over for 10-15 minutes, put down a deposit and leave with plans to return next Thursday and pick it up. I drive 4 hours back to Wichita to get on a plane and fly to Huntsville.

The following Monday morning I get to the airport at 47 minutes before takeoff and United wonít let me check my bag. They said it had to be 45 minutes before boarding, not take off. Well there was no other plane available from Hsv to Wichita so as they were looking I made an off hand comment about maybe a flight to Lincoln and the lady says sure, I can have you there for 2 pm. Next thing you know I am on the way to Lincoln.

I call rodís and let them know I am early, and they said come on over! I catch a taxi from the airport(Kurt actually said they could pick me up at the airport!!! But I couldnít impose) and head to Rods.

I do the paperwork and I am out the door for 4pm headed to Wichita. Oh yeah I was in the area for work which I totally forgot.

As I am driving back, the what little sun I had on the overcast day, went down and since it was already cold now it was getting really cold. Iíve ridden through snow before and swore Iíd never do that again. This was getting just as cold. Just as I am getting ready to stop on the side of the road to shake out the frozen hands I see a button on the left handlebar.. I press it and low and behold!!! Heat!!! I didnít know the deluxe had heated grips!

Well come to find out this bike that I got at a very fair price and that I was able to buy a 3 yr extended warranty on had:

Heated grips added
Center stand added
Tall windscreen added
Large trunk added
CTX700 rear view mirrors added
Short windscreen in the saddle bags
Small Passenger backrest in the saddle bags

Wait what! >$2k in add onís that werenít listed and I didnít even know about.

I can only say that Rodís was a great place to deal with and I canít believe how good a deal I got from them.

On top of that, as I was checking out the bike before I left we found the battery cover had a broken tab on it. Kurt ordered a new one and had it shipped to my house in Alabama.

Well I rode the bike to Wichita, didnít get a rental car and rode my bike to work all week and then rode 4 hours from Wichita to Springfield Thursday night and 8 hrs from Springfield to Huntsville on Friday. I slept late on Saturday as I caught a cold in the cold riding. Spent the day Sunday with the wife and went finish the job this week. I am looking forward to a break this week to start measuring for the hitch and trailer...

And Monday I will be ordering front peg mounts and rear crash bars from Charlie.

Enough for tonight, I start the trailer work tomorrow. I bought a wheel in Wichita and found shocks online...

Last edited by troystg; 03-29-2019 at 11:40 PM.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-30-2019, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Welcome aboard, Troy. Great story. Excellent way to get to know a new bike - ride it every day!!
TDWright likes this.

ĒIf you choose not to decide, youíve still made a choice!Ē
2014 Honda CTX1300A Deluxe, Blue, #814
. . . IBA Member #71578 . . .
post #6 of 26 Old 03-30-2019, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
@troystg Congratulations! Great looking bike and welcome to the fold. Thank you for sharing. I originally wanted a blue also. I have a black one which at first I was not keen on until I saw it in person and bought it on the spot.

I have a request to make. If you are going to have a trailer hitch made I would sign up to have one made as well at the same time and piggyback on your efforts, and may be others could be interested as well. If you were kind enough to agree may be that would reduce development costs. Send me a PM if you want. Also are you thinking about a single wheel trailer?

BTW there are plans for a hitch already posted somewhere on the site... Wait I just saw you posted there also.... I will cc this there.
TDWright likes this.

Last edited by Airhead78; 03-30-2019 at 05:59 AM.
post #7 of 26 Old 03-30-2019, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Welcome..... Excellent writing.....

TD
post #8 of 26 Old 03-30-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead78 View Post
@troystg

I have a request to make. If you are going to have a trailer hitch made I would sign up to have one made as well at the same time and piggyback on your efforts, and may be others could be interested as well. If you were kind enough to agree may be that would reduce development costs. Send me a PM if you want. Also are you thinking about a single wheel trailer?
Thank you.

I have e the plans for the trailer hitch however I do not want a dual wheel trailer so a trailerball hitch is a no go for me.

I want a small light mono wheel trailer that I can literally roll into the hotel room with me if I have to.

To each their own however once I start manufacture of the trailer and parts it will be easy to make more copies as all the work is in the engineering.

Not me, not my bike but here is the concept.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01GD using Tapatalk

Last edited by troystg; 03-30-2019 at 08:57 AM.
post #9 of 26 Old 03-30-2019, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Awesome story, course after reading your story I feel like a wimp. I too had to go five hours from home to buy my Red Delixe and it had all the toys as well. It was in February and cold! I trailered mine home in my inclosed trailer. Great pixs and welcome to the V4 gang brother!
troystg likes this.

65' 250cc Ducati Monza
68' 350cc Honda Scrambler
74' 350cc Honda CB350L
76' 750cc Honda CB750K
78' 1000cc Honda GW
94' 750 cc Honda VF750C Magna
14' 1300cc Honda CTX1300D
post #10 of 26 Old 03-30-2019, 12:58 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know if you looked at them but the hitch plans I posted a link to would work really well for a mono-wheel coupler setup since it provides a flat plate to attach any coupler you want. I am familiar with a few different kinds of hitch/coupler configurations for that type of trailer. Uni-Go is one of the common versions and have seen that one as well as a home made version using a universal joint. I posted that link in my post in your other thread asking about a hitch.
troystg likes this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- traded
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page