6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-09-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Where do you get maintenance done?

Honda dealerships mean Crofton or Baltimore, both long drives especially if I have to pick up later.

There's a local (silver spring) shop that is very highly rated. What would be the procedure to get them to do the 8k service, just hand them the manual?

Thanks,
pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-09-2019, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
8000 mile service is basically an oil and oil filter change. Everything else is just a look at. If you have no fluid leaks everything is good. Save your money and change your oil and filter Lou.

Otto
post #3 of 16 Old 08-09-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
That's sort of my default position, though I want to get new tires this time as well. Recently rode a 1200 GS for four days and the difference in cornering ability was rather remarkable.

Going to try Exedra Max next.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-10-2019, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Garage
Home. I do all my own work from my own shop at home.

Deluxe-Red 000032
post #5 of 16 Old 08-11-2019, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Ditto on the, Do it myself at home. Invest in the Honda Shop Manual and watching YouTube videos makes the route work easy. A big thanks to fellow CTX1300 rider, HansenCTX with his YouTube clips. You can even remove the rear tire and then just have the bike shop install the tire on the rim. You can save big $$ and know that the work is done right. But if it is not your thing you can at least understand what is involved. I do all of my own oil changes, brake pads and other minor maintenance items.
HansenCTX and fbnewell1 like this.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-12-2019, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage
+1 for do it yourself.
I spent over 7 years working at a Honda, Yamaha, American Iron Horse dealer as a tech.
As an experienced tech I can tell you. There is very little routine motorcyle maintenance than can't be done by anyone with a reasonable level of mechanical apptitude, a service manual and a decently stocked tool chest.
In most cases where the factory service manual calls for a speciality tool, you'll find that there is a much cheaper universal equivalent available. Factory service tools are nice but stupidly expensive, and usually brand if not model specific. Don't fall for it buy a quality aftermarket tool and it's still usefull if you trade bikes.
Shrek likes this.

43 years riding experience
To many bikes over the years to list
Current stable includes a 2014 Honda CTX 1300 and a 2014 Star XV950 Bolt
post #7 of 16 Old 08-13-2019, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks PaPaJo for the comment.

I got a new front tire in this weekend. I plan to finally make a 'how-to' video for the front.

I recorded detailed videos for the brakes and oil.... just haven't had a chance to do all the video editing. That is why I have been posting more 'candid-style' videos on my Youtube channel lately.

Happy wrenching!

Peace,
Chris Hansen (HansenCTX)

Deluxe-Red 000032
post #8 of 16 Old 08-16-2019, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Having the Honda Shop Manual is a must if you are going to attempt your own maintenance and I totally agree with cefox, you have to have "a reasonable level of mechanical aptitude and a decently stocked tool chest". If you do not, then take it to your local Honda Dealer as their techs are Honda Trained. Before I start any repairs or maintenance work on my bike, car or even the lawnmower, I check YouTube. For me watching someone doing it is much easier and clearer then reading the shop manual but I still do both. Many good YouTube clips show shortcuts that are not in the shop manual. To Chris Hansen (HansenCTX), your YouTube clips are great. You are clear, well spoken and most importantly, well edited. So keep up the great work and I totally understand that you have a life and this stuff takes time but your work is very appreciated.
HansenCTX and Blue Baron like this.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-16-2019, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
OK, everyone so far is a DIY maintenance guy, so I'll jump in a represent the "use the dealer" folks. Actually, I am a 50/50 person...I do it myself if I am inspired but have no problems taking it to the dealer when I dont have the time or deisre. I am fortunate to have a really excellent and trustworthy Honda service dept where I bought the bike (OC Honda Kawasaki), but it is 27 miles away so not super convenient. As long as I can wait instead of leaving the bike. I just had a new rear tire installed (I dont have center stand or jack, so not doing it myself) and while it was there I had them do the oil and filter. I will do the brake and clutch fluid flush, spark plugs, and air cleaner myself in a couple weeks (32K miles). Waiting until 40K to get the valves checked...something I'm not sure I'll do or have done.

1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe (traded)
1982 Honda CB900F (stolen)
1980 Kawasaki 750LTD (traded)
1982 Yamaha XV920R (traded)
1987 Harley Heritage Softail (traded)
1983 Yamaha Seca 900 (sold)
2002 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura (sold)
2014 Honda CTX 1300
post #10 of 16 Old 08-17-2019, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Garage
I too, normally do all my own maintenance. It allows me to know my machine better and gives me a feeling of satisfaction. My CTX does have the center stand (a must for maintenance) so doing work on the bike is much easier and faster. Even down to cleaning that @#&*. rear wheel. I don’t plan on checking the valves until about 16-20K miles my self. I think some of these checks are to aid the dealer to make more revenue. I too have the Honda shop manual and use U-tube videos also.

65' 250cc Ducati Monza
68' 350cc Honda Scrambler
74' 350cc Honda CB350L
76' 750cc Honda CB750K
78' 1000cc Honda GW
94' 750 cc Honda VF750C Magna
14' 1300cc Honda CTX1300D

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page