Ethanol Free Gas - Honda CTX1300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-22-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ethanol Free Gas

I was listening a Motorcycle podcast , and they ware talking about storing and winterizing bikes. One of the issue that was discussed was Ethanol Free gas. So they mention the following web site as a good resource for finding pure gas.
www.pure-gas.org
There is a mobile( cell) phone application too. It was discussed among other things and it was said that the government is proposing for the gas sold in USA to be blended with minimum 15% of ethanol, which is very bad for use in motorcycle and especially letting the fuel stay in the bike for the non riding season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-22-2019, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage
Keep in mind that ethanol free gas still will gum up if left too long. Use Stabil Marine for storing any gas in the off season. Your bike will be much happier in the spring when it awakes from its hibernation.

______
Brian
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 Honda GL1000 GoldWing (Ox)
1980 Honda CB750F SuperSport (BlueThunder)
post #3 of 5 Old 01-05-2020, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I finally have access to ethanol free gas in my City so I have a full tank of that plus Sta-Bil for the winter season.

Honda 750F SS
Honda V45 Sabre
Honda 700 Nighthawk S
Honda CBR 1000F
Honda CTX 1300

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Depending on where you go, the Ethanol free fuel is sometimes referred to as E0 and most US fuel stations (at least in the south) sell E10 which is normally 7 to 8% Ethanol. E0 is available in the south at some stations and the pumps are well marked as Ethanol free with a bit of a price mark up. I agree 100% with the use of Sta-Bil for off season storage and you can find Sta-Bil that is clearly mark as "For Ethanol Fuel". On the plus side all fuel stores better in the cold or cool temps in the winter months as apposed to in a hot garage in the summer months. It is important to note that Sta-Bil should be used in fresh fuel. It will not improve fuel that is already 4 months old. I use Sta-Bil for Ethanol fuel in all of my equipment that is kept in storage for more them two months and I have never had a fuel issue. I hope this helps.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I live in the Midwest. Because of the easy availability of ethanol blends (usually E5-15), I live with ethanol on a daily basis when fueling my truck, motorcycle and classic car. Note that where I live (and parts further north), fuel refineries change the fuel blend from winter to summer and back based on volatility. They cannot sell fuel in the summer that has excess volatility (evaporation), nor can they sell high volatility fuel in the winter as the engine will be hard to start and will run rough. They blend the fuel based on expected outside temperature. I use a product called Sea Foam to winterize the tank prior to storage, although StaBil should work well also. I see Techron is now marketing heavily in the moto mags with their fuel stabilizer. I am anxious to try it out. Getting away from ethanol blends in my neck of the woods is hard to do. I live with it and treat my "baby" accordingly.

Honda CM 200T (sold)
V-Star 650 Custom (sold)
V-Star 1100 Custom (sold)
CTX1300 Deluxe (finally!)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page