2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
CTX1300 vs R1200 RT: Specs

A 'low cost' alternative to venerable European touring? Absolutely, so long as you're not snobbish...

PRICE

CTX 1300: $15,999
R1200 RT: $17,705

ENGINE

CTX 1300: V-4
R1200 RT: Boxer Twin

DISPLACEMENT

CTX 1300: 1261cc
R1200 RT: 1170cc

BORE x STROKE

CTX 1300: 78mm x 66 mm
R1200 RT: 101 mm x 73 mm

COMPRESSION

CTX 1300: 10:1
R1200 RT: 12:1

COOLING:

CTX 1300: Liquid
R1200 RT: Air

CURBWEIGHT

CTX 1300: 724 lbs
R1200 RT: 571 lbs

RAKE

CTX 1300: 28.5 deg
R1200 RT: 26.2 deg

TRAIL

CTX 1300: 4.5 in
R1200 RT: 4.6 in

SEAT HEIGHT

CTX 1300: 29.1 in
R1200 RT: 32.2 in

WHEELBASE

CTX 1300: 58.4 in
R1200 RT: 64.5 in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Used to ride a R1200RT, now ride the CTX1300 ..... and I'm sure the Honda won't bite my backside with unexpected fixes or leave me stranded.

Yeah, the brand snobbishness gets tiring. No need to that rubbish.

However, I DO miss the BMW suspension but not enough to go back.

Aloha,
Huladog
post #3 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Huladog,

That is the EXACT reason I traded my R1200Rt for the CTX 1300...I kept having something always needing to be fixed or worked on with my BMW. My headlight bulbs would last about half the season, first the left side, then I would replace the right side. Just strange things, quirky things that made you wonder no matter how bullet proof the engine is, the weak link isn't necessarily the big items.

I did have a tough time pulling the trigger on the CTX however. I didn't want to give up the electric adjustable windshield, as the low turbulence and quiet ride on the BMW made me concerned about giving that up. I also liked the detachable luggage, was easy to remove for cleaning the wheels and doing simple maintenance like checking air pressure in the rear tire, etc.

Bike had a six speed and geared to the moon, so for a high speed all weather interceptor, the BMW had it covered. I also DID NOT WANT to give up the electric cruise control, and my plans are to spend the bucks, no matter what that price is, and have this installed on my CTX!

But what about the 6,000 mile valve checks! Really? They were easy to check, but sort of a short interval for a touring bike. My alternator belt would squeal at times, and I had the servo motor brake system, so it was very complex but it would stop the bike quickly!

Ultimately for me it was time to change, I didn't want to put any more money into the BMW, and wanted a low maintenance motorcycle to just go and ride. I just had my college roommate from 25 years ago take a look at the CTX, and he thought the modern look that was different than everything else on the road, he liked the bike. He is looking at the new Indian Scout which I am sure will get more attention than my CTX, but I think the CTX is a much better value.

post #4 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I don't know about the latest 2014 RT with water cooling, but the 2013 I rode through Colorado last summer was not so impressive. It rattled and shook at low rpms. The windshield was adjustable but even when all the way up it didn't give as good of wind protection as my current Madstad. The mirrors were just like the CTX mirrors...average. And the transmission was still clunky. My RT had suspension adjustment but it didn't smooth out potholes so well...actually just like the CTX. My experience with BMW's is that they have an average product with a lot of cachet. And you pay a lot for that cachet.

2010 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold)
2002 BMW 1150 GS (gladly sold)
post #5 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 08:01 PM

Miks,

I agree the RT has some really nice design points, but even though mine was a late model (no servo brakes) small things would fail and then you needed to wait weeks to get a replacement part from Germany, then the replacement would be the wrong version because the factory went through several different versions trying to get the "fix" correct.

Enuff, preaching to the choir.

Interesting note about your friend looking at the Indian Scout since that bike was on my radar due to it's good price point. I made it a point to hunt down a dealer in SoCal who happened to have a press fleet bike on their lot (this was right after the press intros so nobody really had their demo bikes available).

Like everybody says the bike looks really small when you walk up to it and it IS small and low when you sit on it. Since I'm short I thought this would be a neat old-school lookiing v-twin with a modern liquid cooled engine, but as soon as I sat down I realized I wouldn't get the bike (and I was even registered on that Indian "first release" list).

While it was low which is good for my short legs, the forward mounted pegs were too far forward and even with the factory accessory brackets to move them back an inch or so it still wouldn't be comfortable. The other thing was when I was just sitting on the bike I could feel the rear cylinder exhaust pipe was too close to my inner thigh and would be super easy to be burned by it if you didn't pay attention at a stop.

Aloha,
Huladog
post #6 of 19 Old 01-03-2015, 10:36 AM

Huladog,

Right...I sort of sit on the Indian Scout and had the same impression, just something not right with the feet vs handlebar position that felt - funky! My friend is a larger guy, tall and for some reason he thinks it is the bomb, and will spend about $13,000 + once he adds the seat and luggage for the bike, it had me wondering why he won't look at the CTX since he was sort of enamored with the bike.

Like many buyers of motorcycles, his main reason for the Indian Scout is the style of it, and as he explained his reaction when he first saw it, how good it looked. Forget about function and comfort, this bike looks good! (A Harley Buyer in the making?) Anyway, I may have planted the seed for the CTX, as he isn't going to buy the Indian until April/May so perhaps after he sees the CTX a few more times, he may have the light in his head go on and realize for not much more money, he can have a modern bagger!
post #7 of 19 Old 01-04-2015, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
FYI the r1200rt has a low seat you can get at purchase BTW... it also adjusts (i think) underneath(?)
mine fit well and im short.
I owned two, R1200R (loved it!) R1200RT (hated it) .. it had a ton of cool stuff though... but I didn't like the powerband and it just didnt have any personality. and ... it would overheat in LA traffic. the R1200R would never overheat .. prolly because it didn't have fairing
oh that suspension was great!
The dealer(s) were all snooty as ****, and one reason I wont ever own one again. I tolerated it OK until I was reprimanded for not having the "official" key-chain ( with roadside assist and dealer number ) anymore. They actually replaced my keychain and asked that I dont remove it!
a keychain!
Thats just a pompous as it gets.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-04-2015, 04:35 PM

I had the RT with both the low seat and the low suspension which was the big reason I got the bike since BMW is like the only manufacturer, that I can think of, which made some models for shorties like me.

I figured that out when I thought about how the short guys on the solo bike detail for the Honolulu Police Department could ride the RT's. Then I learned about the low options.

About that keychain? Yow, pompous to the max but I fully understand. I know some nice guys that ride BMW's but others who literally only want to ride with other BMW's, like the other bikes are not worthy.

Oh, well, we ride what we like.

Aloha,
Huladog
post #9 of 19 Old 01-08-2015, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Huladog, Miks,

What model years were your RTs?

My father-in-law is a Harley guy but now seems to dream about moving to something with better ergonomics than his Road King and has had his eye on the RT. Between the recall this past year for electric suspension issues and the kinds of little issues you guys are talking about, I'm wondering if that move (which at first I cheered) seems like it'd be a mistake.

It affects me because we ride a lot together. :-)

Jeff

2014 CTX1300 Deluxe in Ion Blue Metallic

States visited on my CTX:
post #10 of 19 Old 01-08-2015, 08:14 AM

JeffZ,

My R1200Rt was a 2006, so when I bought it used with 15,000 miles on it, I thought there would be something obvious that would be wrong when I test rode it.

I fixed the bike up from the condition I had purchased it in, but I always had something I needed to fix. The gearbox wasn't the smoothest, but not any worse than a Harley. I did have an oil leak that was between the engine and gearbox, since they are separate reservoirs. I had weird electrical problems, every once in a while I would have a fault in the system, I would leave the bike alone, and it would clear itself. That had to do with the ABS system. I checked all the sensors, wires, etc, and could never figure it out.

The biggest problem is that the bike has a more unreliable factor than the Harley Davidson according to JD Power and Associates. It is the most unreliable bike being built, and yet...there is no dealer network really, and most dealers seem to not have the best customer service. I will tell you that my experience working with the BMW customer services was ABSOLUTELY THE WORST, lip service at best!

It really gets down to if you have a dealer close AND the dealer "gets it", then I would definitely own a BMW! Otherwise, KEEP the Harley!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page