• 1 Post By sleepngbear

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-19-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My Extended Test Ride

Finally a dealer in my area (Outside of Philadelphia) received a demo bike. So I took it out last Saturday - got totally lost and ended up riding for over an hour. Some things to note - my current ride is a Triumph Thunderbird (the 1700) and I have never ridden with a windscreen (so I'm not one of those Windscreen I Must Posses folks...). Low end torque was not as good as the Triumph, but once I got used to using the higher revs it was perfectly acceptable. Got it up to 85mph on a the highway - no issue with wind buffeting, but like I said I'm used to that. Although it weighs about the same as my Triumph it was much more nimble and very easy to handle at low speed. I made some difficult turns without any problems. Cornering was a better than the Triumph. Overall it is a much easier bike to ride and although it has a smaller engine with less HP it wasn't lacking in power.

So, when I got back to the dealer I placed my order for a Blue Deluxe - should arrive in the next two weeks.
bob and midlyfecrisis like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-19-2014, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Congratulations on your new bike!

Mike

current CTX1300 (SN 229)
prior ST1300, ST1100, Revere
post #3 of 3 Old 06-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
I had a Thunderbird 1600, so I can tell you that not much is going to compare to your 1700 in the torque department.

I found the exact same things about the handling as you. Which I found particularly interesting, since they talked up the Bird big time as having sport bike-like handling (it doesn't, but it's not bad for a big cruiser). The CTX is much closer to the ST in handling than any other cruiser I've owned; in some ways I even like it better because it's less top-heavy than the ST. And I agree, it takes no time at all to get used to the different torque curve of the CTX.

Congrats on the new purchase!
midlyfecrisis likes this.

Ed

"Valar Morghulis."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page