Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
PistonHeads Review

Honda CTX1300: PH2 Review - PistonHeads

Article is critical of a number of things on the bike including:

Engine whine

Ground clearance (I recall hearing peg scraping in several videos of the bike)

Small storage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
This engine has a high-pitched whine to it, that's for sure. I like it. This is entirely subjective.

Funny, I only read complaints about ground clearance in articles where it seems the writer has a bias towards sportbikes. When the bias is towards cruising or touring, no such complaints come out. I haven't scraped a peg yet in the 400 miles I've put on mine, but I'm not a very aggressive rider either.

Also funny is I think the storage is amazing, but this is my first bike with any affordance for storage at all. I'm almost giddy thinking about all the stuff I'll be able to bring along once I add my top case.

Jeff

Croxy likes this.

2014 CTX1300 Deluxe in Ion Blue Metallic

States visited on my CTX:
post #3 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
V0X
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Listen to sound at 1:06, I'm guessing that's a peg scraping?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sTG0mpxnJtk

post #4 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Sounds like it could be, but the lean angle doesn't seem all that severe at that point, so

2014 CTX1300 Deluxe in Ion Blue Metallic

States visited on my CTX:
post #5 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 11:03 AM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Garage
While it is true this bike doesn't have the lean angle of a true sport-touring bike or especially a sport bike... This bike is not those types of bikes so DUH, the pegs will scrape when you try to ride it like one of those. It does have more lean angle than a GW or F6B and most cruisers if not all others in that category. I had a GW and have scraped the pegs on it a few times. It has to really lean a lot to do that and my CTX has yet to scrape even though I've leaned over as far as I have on my ST (never scraped that one either). I guess I'm just not that aggressive a rider.

I've state before. These reviewers are all skewed in their reviews depending on what their preference of riding style is. If they lean toward s-t or sport riding then they are more critical of this CTX since they approach it same as their preferred ride and error in that this bike is not a s-t or sport bike. If they lean toward cruiser or touring riding they they seem to have very few complaints, if any at all, since that IS what this bike is (a cruising/tourer crossover).

And about that whine... The ST1300 riders over on the ST-Owners forum all love that sound. Some call their ST a Jetson mobile, others refer to the sound as a sewing machine. But all like it. I camp at least once a summer with that group and rode past a bunch of them who were stopped. They told me later how much they liked the sound and that it is a slightly different sound riding past than their ST1300 sound but yet the same. I think it has a beefier lower tone but still that characteristic whine that is so beloved.

Oh, and storage is the very same volume as on both models of the ST at 35 litres. It's just arranged different. Actually the volume is arranged different on both the ST models as well. The CTX is narrower (side to side) but a bit taller and much longer than the ST per my comparison with another ST owner while camping when we parked our bikes side by side. The side cases on the ST1300 are fat but oddly shaped, more pointed in front and taller and deeper in the back. But still the same volume. Of course, if a rider is used to the GW storage, or any number of cruiser baggage available, they will be disappointed since some of that luggage is simply cavernous. Personally I think Honda could have made the paniers wider in the back and still kept them within the width of the mirrors, which is their original intent. They still look good to me and are plenty. When I camp on the bike I pack way more than will fit even if they were 45-50 litre bags so I expect to set dry bags on the rear with the balance of my stuff.
Croxy likes this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- sold
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489 - sold
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V0X View Post
Honda CTX1300: PH2 Review - PistonHeads

Article is critical of a number of things on the bike including:

Engine whine

Ground clearance (I recall hearing peg scraping in several videos of the bike)

Small storage
All subjective observations, I'd say. Me, I love the engine whine. Heard it first on the ST1100, and it, the ST1300 and now the CTX1300 are the only bikes I've heard on which it's so pronounced. But there are so relatively few of them around that people who've never seen one just don't know what to think when they hear it. Obviously this writer has never ridden a ST1300. I wouldn't mind just a little more rumble out of the exhaust; maybe that can be changed in time if the after-market catches up, or I can certainly live with it just like it is.

Ground clearance, as Bob says, is better than most if not all big cruisers and heavy tourers, but of course it's not going to be the same as a sport bike or sport tourer. If you want a bike that you can drag your knees with, this is not the on you'd be going after. And these reviewers who can't see that and insist on making that comparison are idiots.

Storage, again, subjective. You know what you're getting - at least you should before you decide to plunk down some coin. If more storage is more important to you than the other qualities of this bike, then you need to get something with more storage. I don't need a lot of storage; so what's there is more than adequate for me, it's not obtrusive as far as making the bike as wide as a car (as I've seen on numerous occasions), and the bags actually look great on the bike.

EVERY bike is a compromise of something. If you want a sport bike, you get great handling and performance at the expense of long-distance comfort and tour-ability. If you want a full-dressed tourer or a heavy cruiser, you're going to compromise agility and economy. The CTX1300 is one of the all-around least compromising bikes I've ever come across. If I had the opportunity to write a review, that's what I'd focus on.
bob, Croxy and V0X like this.

Ed

"Valar Morghulis."
post #7 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
V0X
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
All good points. I'm typing this from Southern Honda as they are installing my tall windshield and waiting to sign the paperwork.
sleepngbear and bob like this.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V0X View Post
All good points. I'm typing this from Southern Honda as they are installing my tall windshield and waiting to sign the paperwork.
Then I guess we won't be hearing from you again for a few days.
ozbass17 likes this.

Ed

"Valar Morghulis."
post #9 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
V0X
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Definitely planning on hitting 600 miles over the long weekend. Will need to bring bike back in for center stand and 12v outlet anyway next week, so first service will get done also.
sleepngbear and bob like this.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If you didn't like the review, you are really going to hate the comments.

Check out these boneheads -

RE: Honda CTX1300: PH2 Review - PistonHeads

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page