4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-04-2015, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2015 R1200RT versus CTX1300

I'm back from my trip to the Southwest. My father-in-law and I both rented R1200RT's and rode for 5 days, with our wives as pillions. We had an open agenda and based on weather, decided to leave from Phoenix and head northwest, spending nights in Kingman, Vegas, Lake Havasu, and finally Sedona, before returning the bikes.

I think the bikes we had were each equipped with BMW's low seat option (and it's vexing that the rental company couldn't tell me specifically whether that was or wasn't the case). As a result, I felt rather stuffed into the leg position after the first few hours of riding. I'm 6' tall with a 32" inseam and came to really dislike the leg position even as I appreciated that the overall geometry was perfect for my back and upper body. I just really didn't like the stiff knees I had the last 3 days of the trip that caused me to need to stop every hour to stretch out and walk around. I missed my CTX every minute the last few days.

My other complaint on the R1200RT would be the power at low speeds. It's like 1st gear is just too tall or there's not enough torque between 1000 and 2000 rpm for the bike to get moving, especially uphill. The CTX practically launches itself forward just based on letting the clutch out, and the RT only launches itself forward with a lot of babying on the throttle. I only stalled it once, but this irritated me the whole trip. Especially considering the bike has a crap ton of power up top. Which leads to the positives.

The power at speed is basically perfect and wonderful. I've never felt a bike that just kind of goes exactly as you'd want based on a twist of the grip. Very confidence-inspiring, great for the highway. A little smoother and perkier than the CTX.

The balance, even with a pillion, is just about perfect. Except for when going at less than 5mph in parking lots, where the height works against you and it kind of wants to flop about. But otherwise riding this bike with a passenger felt like riding a lot of other bikes solo. Slightly better than the CTX, which is also good here.

Wind protection was perfect. I loved the adjustable windshield, which worked well in concert with my Shoei full-face to give me either full protection or lots of air flow when hot. Wish the CTX had something like this adjustable shield setup.

I got tired of the noise and slight vibration of the boxer engine by the end. That coupled with the lightness of the bike, which otherwise would have been a positive, made it feel somehow more fragile and loud and junky than I think the CTX does.

And with that as my final impression, combined with the stiff knees, I was happy to turn this thing in, and happy that when I bought my CTX I didn't seriously consider dropping a significantly larger amount of money on the RT.

Z

bob and psullam like this.

2014 CTX1300 Deluxe in Ion Blue Metallic

States visited on my CTX:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-04-2015, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'll also add that this trip convinced me that I'm not a sport-touring rider, not really. And I've never quite been a cruiser rider either. I'm that in-between standard-rider-who-wants-to-tour that Honda perfectly aimed at with the CTX1300.

bob and 4401 like this.

post #3 of 12 Old 11-04-2015, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Our Police Department just recently got 5 R1200RTPs. I'm assigned to the traffic division so I got to ride one. They are nice, I really wanted one for a looooonnnngg time before the ride but can't afford the maintenance. But I am happy with my CTX.

1989 Yamaha XS1100 ( in mid. 90's)
2014 Honda CTX1300D (Blue) sn 513

post #4 of 12 Old 11-04-2015, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the Ride Report! Think of all the things your Wife can get since you Saved so much Ca$h CTX Vs the BMW.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-04-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I rode my CTX for the first time since getting back this afternoon (and since writing the posts above). The immediate available torque made me smile wide.

Things that surprised me after putting over 1000 miles on another bike and coming back:
- the handlebar geometry on the CTX felt gigantic and odd like a beach cruiser style bicycle, but only for about 5 minutes.
- I had to re-adjust to the abrupt throttle response, which previously I had muscle memory for
- Holy crap do I wish the CTX had an adjustable clutch lever! I got stuck in traffic and feel like I just worked out with one of those hand grip strengtheners for an hour!
- My back got a little out of whack and rounded/hunched feeling. Could be that I was tired, grumpy about traffic, and holding poor posture. Could also be that the riding position on the RT really is better ergonomically even though I hated how stuffed-up my legs felt. This was never an issue before, so i'm sure I'll adjust back.

Z

post #6 of 12 Old 11-05-2015, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I did the same rental and my assessment was identical to yours. Lots of clatter and rattle at low speeds. I hear the water heads are better at this but don't know from first hand experience. Yes. The leg position on the CTX is perfect.

2010 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold)
2002 BMW 1150 GS (gladly sold)
post #7 of 12 Old 11-05-2015, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Holy cow, I just looked up the BMW and it's $23 grand...? Is that bike really 10-12 dollars better than ours? Or are you paying for name?
post #8 of 12 Old 11-05-2015, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytrap View Post
I did the same rental and my assessment was identical to yours. Lots of clatter and rattle at low speeds. I hear the water heads are better at this but don't know from first hand experience. Yes. The leg position on the CTX is perfect.
This was a liquid-cooled model, so no, that move didn't necessarily make it quiet (though it could be quieter than the air-cooled models).

post #9 of 12 Old 11-05-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd8rd View Post
Holy cow, I just looked up the BMW and it's $23 grand...? Is that bike really 10-12 dollars better than ours? Or are you paying for name?
I'd have to say no, it's not. There are more features in the dash area, but not $12K worth. And I forgot to mention that I actually don't like the dash display nearly as much on the RT. It's a mix of LCD and conventional lights like ours but I found it harder to read in bright sun than what's on the CTX, and a little bit too cluttered/detailed too.

Z

post #10 of 12 Old 11-05-2015, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
@jeffz ,

Regarding an adjustable clutch lever,
read this https://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/en...tch-lever.html

Bruce B
Sequim, WA
Honda Shadow - didn't keep it long enough to recall year.
89 Goldwing 1500
Yamaha Vstar 1100 - again not long enough to recall
05 Victory Kingpin Anniversary 1500
14 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe Red with farkles.

Plus British Columbia, Canada

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page