16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-19-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Been riding for years, considering a CTX1300 Deluxe

I've ridden for years, mostly sportbikes and sport tourers with some ADV riding and a few cruisers mixed in.

How is the CTX1300 for passenger comfort with the stock seat? Is it comfortable enough for 2-3 hour rides?

I'm assuming the handling and cornering clearance is somewhere between a sport tourer and a typical cruiser...is that reasonably accurate? How aggressively can it be ridden on curvy back roads?

Are the Traction Control and ABS on the Deluxe worth the extra $$? Is there a noticeable difference?

I remember leftover 2014s selling for around $8k a few years ago. What are realistic prices for well kept used ones? I am in Ohio and have just started looking.

Good judgement comes from experience. Often, experience comes from bad judgement.

Last edited by tpoppa; 07-19-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-19-2019, 11:37 AM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum @tpoppa

Never ridden a sport bike but did have an ST1100 for some years. I still ride with the ST-Owers club and go to a few motorcycle camping trips with that group.
Longest ride I went on with the CTX in a single day was my trip from home to Spearfish, ND. That 660 miles one way and I took it in a conservative manner so arrived in 13 hours. Only stops were for lunch and gas. Never felt the need to stay off the seat at any time during that trip and wasn't even ready to stop when I arrived (only did 'cuz I wanted to set up camp while there was still daylight). Does that sound comfy enough?
2-3 hours is nothing on this bike IMO.

You are about right on cornering clearance. Somewhere between typical cruiser and a ST type bike. I used to have a Gold Wing many years ago I seem to remember I could not lean the GW as much as my CTX without scraping those pegs. Seating ergonomics are close between those 2 bikes. I did feel the ABS/TC was worth the extra. Somewhat because I never owned a bike with it before but mostly because I fell it was time I owned a bike that would make up for my mistakes. Of course, if you've never owned a bike with ABS/TC keep in mind they only work in a straight line. If you start slipping sideways (such as taking a turn too fast) nothing yet invented will help with that.

Prices do fluctuate. A few years ago the prices for left over new bikes was around what you stated, but I think that was for the Standard models. I'm getting older so may not have that exactly right, memory flaking out a bit sometimes. Currently there are dealers on CycleTrader who seem to be advertising significantly more now for left overs. Closer to $12,000 for the Deluxe. But good condition low miles used Deluxe models are available for around that price ($8000) now... give or take some depending on location. Just make sure that if you want a Deluxe the bike being advertised or shown to you actually IS a Deluxe. There is at least one dealer who advertises a Deluxe for a really good price, except all the photos are of the Standard model. The most obvious indicator that it is a Deluxe is the blacked out wheel rims and side panel (foot peg mounting plate). You'll also see the ABS ring on the wheels of a Deluxe. The Standard models have no ring, silver wheel rims and side panel. You can tell even before getting close to one as you walk up to it or see it in photos. There is no exception to these obvious indicators in the USA. Other countries vary however but only have one model to choose from.

And BTW- I do recommend checking out CycleTrader.com in your search if you haven't already.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- sold
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489 - sold
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-19-2019, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum, tpoppa! To answer your question about the stock seat, it is a very comfortable seat (the best in my small experience) and since my wife rides with me probably 60% of the time, her comfort was very important in my decision to buy - in fact, I made her sit on it for 25-30 minutes in the showroom before we made the decision and I kept asking her "are you sure?". After a few months, we got the top box which added a back rest for her which only increased her comfort. I wanted a back rest and so we eventually went to a Russell Day Long seat, which is a huge step up, but it really was not "lack of comfort" that pushed us in that direction.

I have ridden my son's sport bikes - and I do like to "make it sporty" with any bike I ride, and the CTX1300 will not disappoint in that department (as long as you are reasonable in your expectations).

Chris

1973 Honda CL100
1974 Kawasaki Mach I 250
1988 Honda VF750C "Super" Magna (gone but not forgotten)
1999 Honda VF750C Magna (passed on to my son)
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe SN 269

post #4 of 18 Old 07-19-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm76 View Post
I have ridden my son's sport bikes - and I do like to "make it sporty" with any bike I ride, and the CTX1300 will not disappoint in that department (as long as you are reasonable in your expectations).
I want something that can hang with my buddies on BMW RTs and FJRs on twisty roads...but I also need something that is better than those bikes for passenger accommodation. The CTX seems like a good option.

I had a VFR1200 which was all kinds of fun for me, but bad for a passenger. Sold it.
I bought a Vstar 950 which was good for a passenger, but I absolutely hated riding it. It must have the least ground clearance of any stock motorcycle. Sold it.
I have a Vulcan 900 Classic now. While it's a huge improvement over the VStar is still isn't the bike for me. Plus, I don't like touring on tubed tires.

I really need to test ride a CTX1300.
bob and fbnewell1 like this.

Good judgement comes from experience. Often, experience comes from bad judgement.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-19-2019, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpoppa View Post
I want something that can hang with my buddies on BMW RTs and FJRs on twisty roads...but I also need something that is better than those bikes for passenger accommodation. The CTX seems like a good option.

I had a VFR1200 which was all kinds of fun for me, but bad for a passenger. Sold it.
I bought a Vstar 950 which was good for a passenger, but I absolutely hated riding it. It must have the least ground clearance of any stock motorcycle. Sold it.
I have a Vulcan 900 Classic now. While it's a huge improvement over the VStar is still isn't the bike for me. Plus, I don't like touring on tubed tires.

I really need to test ride a CTX1300.

I doubt you can find a CTX1300 you can properly test on the roads you like to ride aggressively.

IMHO the CTX1300 won't be able to hang with your buddies RTs or FJRs, mostly due to the 75HPs , 725lbs, limited clearance and soft suspensions.
It's just a matter of numbers. Honda did not designed the CTX1300 with sport in mind!

Get a FJR /RT/K1600/C14 or Trophy!

Paul S.
--------------------------
1985 Kawasaki 450LTD
1988 Honda VF750C "Super Magna"
1992 Yamaha Virago 250
1994 Yamaha FJ1200ABS
2000 Suzuki Burgman 400
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2004 Kawasaki Concours 1000
2015 Honda CTX700 manual shift
2015 Honda CTX1300 D
2018 Honda "CTX1800" Tour DCT
post #6 of 18 Old 07-19-2019, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
My 2 cents:
If your buddies ride at 9/10th's - 10/10th's and hit redline all the time, then you wont be keeping up. If they ride at a brisk gentlemen's sport pace, then not much problem. The heft of the CTX is not an issue IMO as the very low center of gravity and longitudinal crank allow easy flicks from side to side. The pegs will touch down before my buddies', but I better learned to flex more muscle earlier out of the turn, which the CTX does well, and I keep up pretty well. I rode an Aprilia before the CTX, and did not regret getting the CTX. I also rode an HD softail in the past and swore I'd never get a Harley again (at least one with floor boards)...it was as sporty as a cement truck.
psullam and Willmarth like this.

1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe (traded)
1982 Honda CB900F (stolen)
1980 Kawasaki 750LTD (traded)
1982 Yamaha XV920R (traded)
1987 Harley Heritage Softail (traded)
1983 Yamaha Seca 900 (sold)
2002 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura (sold)
2014 Honda CTX 1300
post #7 of 18 Old 07-19-2019, 05:21 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Garage
What Paul says might be true if you ride near the end of the performance envelop of those other bikes. My experience riding with the ST1300 gang (who included riders on the Super 10, ST1300s, K1600s and RT bikes and many others) is that most riders don't come close, even when they think they being very spirited. The vast majority of riders really don't need or use the HP/torque that is available. Sure, if someone with skills on a FJR takes it to the limit you won't keep up. But you won't be that far behind either. I had no problem keeping up. I am super conservative riding and was still able to hold my own in the curves. Sure, the sport touring bikes would carve curves better having a better lean angle. But as I said I really wasn't that far behind. I really didn't ride my CTX that much different than I did my ST1100. But that's just IME and IMHO. Throttle response is a bit less on the CTX and it is a bit lower. But I've seen riders on Gold Wings out perform riders on any other sport tourers and the CTX can lean in at least as much as the GW... before the 2018 models anyway.

And BTW- the CTX weighs the same as all models of the ST Hondas.
shane and psullam like this.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- sold
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489 - sold
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-19-2019, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
The others have already given you excellent answers.... and they by the majority have more experience than I do.... but I am going to answer you anyway from our perspective here....

How is the CTX1300 for passenger comfort with the stock seat? Is it comfortable enough for 2-3 hour rides?

My wife thinks it is much more comfortable than the Mustang seat on the Shadow that we came from. However, we did a six hour ride a few weekends ago and stopped three times. The third time she had to walk it off.... mind you she is on the back end of a major stroke from this time last year and is getting back into the grove. So, the comfort is there for a 2 or 3 hour ride, and yet that depends on the rider and their tush tolerance to some degree anyway.....

I'm assuming the handling and cornering clearance is somewhere between a sport tourer and a typical cruiser...is that reasonably accurate? How aggressively can it be ridden on curvy back roads?

There are times when you feel like the bike wants to be ridden like a crotch rocket and other times like a Gold Wing... enjoy. I have yet to scrape the pegs. I am not an overly aggressive rider as my age tells me to chill out, and yet as I get more and more comfortable with the bike, it just handles very well in almost all areas.... I enjoy it more and more as well, and feel very blessed and am grateful that I picked this bike.

Are the Traction Control and ABS on the Deluxe worth the extra $$? Is there a noticeable difference?

I don't know if you notice the difference until you try to burn it off on wet pavement or grass..... but I think (not an expert here) that it lends itself to its legendary Honda linear power curve very well......

I remember leftover 2014s selling for around $8k a few years ago. What are realistic prices for well kept used ones? I am in Ohio and have just started looking.

I bought mine NEW a year ago for $9,040.00. That was with Honda incentives to get them gone.

Don't forget to sit on it and ride it before you buy it..... also I am 5'6" or so with an inseam of 29".... I cannot flatfoot the bike without leaning to one side or the other... and over time have become comfortable with this difference to the Shadow....

It also handles hands down better in every situation than the Shadow did and can get on the freeway and up to speed easily if you go there..... it also handles the curves remarkably well with little muscle involved... just lean it in and throttle it out.....

Tim

Quote:
I've ridden for years, mostly sportbikes and sport tourers with some ADV riding and a few cruisers mixed in.

post #9 of 18 Old 07-19-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the info.

Me and my riding friends tend to ride at a 9/10th pace, but not in a straight line, more like carrying as much corner speed as your skill and motorcycle will allow. It used to be on sport bikes, then sport tourers, occasionally ADV bikes or cruisers.

I've had a few dozen motorcycles over the years, including a bunch of Hondas. I have 2 currently bikes and would like to just own 1. If If the CTX is capable of more lean angle than a "sporty" cruiser with reasonably composed suspension, and keep the woman comfortable on the back...then it should be OK. I guess I really need a test ride.
bob, psullam, Stirling and 1 others like this.

post #10 of 18 Old 07-20-2019, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Welcome, tpoppa! I know I'm a little late to the party, but just to toss in my two pennys:

When I was shopping for a new bike, I had every intention of buying a new Valkyrie. My wife sitting on the back of the CTX was one of the things that changed my mind. How long your passenger can be comfortable also depends on if you are using no back rest, the small OEM backrest, or the Honda top case. My wife prefers to ride with the trunk while my son prefers the small back rest. It depends, but I can't imagine it not being comfortable. I routinely do back-to-back 9 or 10 hour solo days on the stock saddle. No issues.

I just got back from the Tail of the Dragon, and I'm positive that my bike was better-suited to the task than 90% of the other bikes there. That said, the speed that you take the corners varies wildly with your own experience and confidence. I've blown past sport bikes on twisty roads, and I've had my butt handed to me by an old guy on an American V-Twin. It depends, but the CTX did an awesome job just a few days ago. My sole limiting factor determining the speed at which I could take the curves was the omnipresent police observation at Deal's Gap. I would say that if you're on this bike and your friends are riding faster, it might have more to do with just getting used to the CTX. And unless you have a stack of speeding tickets and at least half a dozen wrecks behind you, you *probably* aren't riding at 8/10ths of your bike's - or your - ability.

In my experience, the traction control and ABS is definitely worth it. It's saved my bacon more than once. Also, the extra-wide tires on the CTX, as compared to other bikes, appear to be an unexpected advantage in squirrely road conditions. I remember a few gravel roads in Missouri that seemed scary but ended up being just fine. Low seat-height and center-of-gravity helps for sure. I didn't end up going over any fallen logs, though, so ground clearance wasn't really an issue.

I can't give any input on pricing. I paid nearly $18,000 for mine in 2014, and I have to tell you (although you might not believe it), I still think I got a bargain. Good luck!
Stlburd2, fbnewell1 and TDWright like this.

Not all those who wander are lost.

1984 Yamaha Virago 700
1985 Honda V65 Magna 1100 (The Judge)
2014 Red Deluxe CTX1300 (Dorothy, SN42) - current ride

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page