What did you do with your other motorcycle today - *NON-CTX1300* - Page 18 - Honda CTX1300 Forum
 319Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 220 Old 03-21-2020, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Here is a link to a video of the flashing brake light bar. Let me know if you cannot see it. It is a Google Photos link.

Knight Riderz flashing LED brake light bar
Duff likes this.

/bob
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS - my current ride
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 - wife's ride
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 220 Old 03-23-2020, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
bob
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
FINALLY got out for ride today. First time in a week. I did get out last week but didn't make note of that time which was a very quick/short run to Lowe's and one other store for some essential supplies. Today was the first for a while to just go out and ride for fun. Ended up just over 60 miles and "rediscovered" a few roads I haven't been on for a few years. Temps were right at 48F the entire time until the very end when they dropped to 47F per the ambient temp sensor. There was solid clouds and no sun shining through and I even saw a few drops of rain on my visor at one time. I could count them on one hand (the left hand since the right hand was busy at the time). This matched my thermometer in the house. The roads I usually take don't have much if any traffic until I get closer to the metro and today the traffic was no less than normal. I guess I was expecting slightly less but it wasn't. Was very good to get out. Needed to stop for gas so handled the nozzle with a gloved hand. Gas was down to $1.659. Kept a definite 6 ft distance from everyone during the entire ride.

/bob

Last edited by bob; 03-23-2020 at 06:50 PM.
post #173 of 220 Old 03-26-2020, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
bob
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Continued my social distancing by practicing to stay away from others while riding on country roads while also staying sterile (yeah, right) wearing all my gear (only a little bit of my neck felt the free breeze).

Extended my distance just a little over what I have usually gone in recent months and traveled a round trip route of 83 miles. The meter showed 52 mpg for just that ride but we all know the meter is always way low on that estimate... among other inaccuracies. Traveled the historic old highway 6 out west and then turned south after a winding path. Yes, Iowa is known for straight roads that go on forever almost, but not quite, like Kansas and Nebraska. But those are usually called Interstate highways. There are a lot of curvy roads as well when you get off the more commonly traveled routes. Not as tight and curvy as the Driftless region or other areas of the country but sweeping "S" curves that do make it an interesting enough ride through intermittent wooded areas between cultivated fields. And some hills too. Usually the hills and the woods and curves are all in the same general sections of road. Stopped along the side of the road for one photo and then felt the urge to stop again in Stuart, IA when I turned onto the historic White Pole Road. That's a highway lined with power poles with the lower section of almost every pole painted white as shown in the other photo. Also seen in that photo is the old historic Rock Island Railroad Terminal building.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1ahHH6xHypyBrkRX6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uNLPGSSTR8oPKsbE6
Stlburd2, Stirling and Illinois like this.

/bob

post #174 of 220 Old 03-27-2020, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
I saw these two characters in a car behind me:

[IMG][/IMG]

I was approaching this favorite road over the Brighton Dam:

[IMG][/IMG]

So I exercised extreme social distancing by pinning the throttle in 3rd and snicking into 4th at 100 mph on the CB1100. This would have been necessary Covid-19 or not I think you'll all agree

[IMG][/IMG]
Stirling, Illinois and SCS like this.
post #175 of 220 Old 03-31-2020, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
bob
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Was a fantastic day today with lots of sun, very little wind, and temps around 54-58F. Needed to pick up a bag of tea and a few dozen pre-planting pots from my son's car while he was at work. He works at a coffee roastery that supplies several coffee houses in the area and also writes programs for remote ordering of bags of coffee and tea online from the business (iPhone and Android and web apps). His work place is about 8 miles away, a lot closer than his house. So off I go on the Burgman 650 with the new top case mounted and once again took the long route on country roads to get there. Rode 47 miles this time. That included a trip across the Mile Long Bridge across the middle of Saylorville Lake and then back across the dam at the southern end. Photos are from the dam. In the longer shot up the lake you can just barely see the Mile Long Bridge way out about 6 miles out at what looks like the upper end of the lake (about the left center of the photo left of the taller sign post). That bridge is actually only half way up the lake. It's fairly tall off the water, enough for all sailing boats to easily pass under it, with a low railing on each side... not the place to ride on a really windy day. There were other motorcycle riders out and about but not a lot. Many still haven't polished 4 months of dust off their chrome yet.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YXV9nBCnV5R8juw46
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SKTQKrE7S3U5RxWz6
SCS likes this.

/bob
post #176 of 220 Old 04-01-2020, 07:41 AM
SCS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Crazy

Stay safe
post #177 of 220 Old 04-01-2020, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
bob
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Continuing my isolating from others, but not in place really unless you count the entire 5 county area around my home, I went for another ride today. Rode just under 64 miles toward the south and somewhat west. Came within a few miles of John Wayne's museum and birth home but didn't bother to go into town. That place wouldn't be open now anyway and I'd have to park the bike to see it so turned onto another county highway and just kept on riding. Just keeping my social distance without loosing my sanity. A really fine day with no clouds and temps in the mid 60's F. I broke out my spring/summer gloves for this ride which are good for around 60F and up. Soon will be taking out the wind liner in the jacket and pants to get a bit more air flow. But today was really comfortable.

No errands or shopping today. Just an essential sanity check ride.

/bob

Last edited by bob; 04-01-2020 at 04:45 PM.
post #178 of 220 Old 04-02-2020, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
[IMG][/IMG]

April 2nd and a chilly ride through the finely manicured estates and farms of Western Howard County Maryland on the CTX1800 DCT to soak in the glory of the flowering trees. Making the most of a miserable situation and counting my blessings as so many have it much worse off.
SCS likes this.
post #179 of 220 Old 04-03-2020, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
bob
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
No riding today. Weather took a turn for the worse this morning with temps dropping to below freezing and freezing rain/mist falling. Outside looks like a icy fantasy land with all plants and trees and bushes coated with a layer of ice. Streets look wet but lots of slick places where the ground temps are not enough to melt it as it comes down. Overpasses and decks are slick ice with icicles hanging from everywhere. Was around 30F when I woke up this morning and is 29F now. Don't really expect much warmer tomorrow but maybe just over freezing a little.

So I'm exercising a shelter-in-place protocol even though our state STILL has not mandated everyone to do that.
SCS likes this.

/bob
post #180 of 220 Old 04-04-2020, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
bob
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Needed to visit the Post Office so rode the Burgman. Was only around 34F the whole way. Wore my Nitrile gloves under my riding gloves. When I parked the bike I traded my full face helmet for a face mask. Decided my Turtle Fur neck gator might work well as a face mask but still put on the "official" face mask. I don't use the N95 masks since I would prefer those go to the medical staff who need them most. The mask they don't have just might be the one they need to take care of me should I end up in the hospital. Only one customer was at the counter so waited at the floor marking for them to finish. Funny thing is the floor markings are 6 ft apart but the 2 clerks at the counter were only 3 ft apart so if they were helping more than one customer people would have to be too close for the CDC recommendations. Once again took the long way there but not as long as I could have. Only rode 17 miles this time.
SCS likes this.

/bob

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page