9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-08-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2019 Africa Twin

Just test-rode a 2019 Africa Twin Adventure. The ostensible reason for this is that the 90 knee position on the CTX turns out to be painful for my reconstructed knee. I have forward pegs, but limited help. For some reason a more bent position causes me fewer issues.

Bottom line is that it seems a great bike. VS the ctx:
+ significantly more acceleration (25 more ponies, 200 lbs lighter)
+ more nimble
+ tall: I really like this. I can still flat-foot it (I'm 6'2"), but I enjoyed being up high. I could not swing my leg over the back end, I blame it on jeans being tighter than they should have (wearing woolens underneath, I had just spent an hour on the freeway at 38 degrees). Getting back on my CTX felt like sitting on a kid's bike.
+ electronics: many different levels for torque, power (how can they be changed independently, changing the power curve?), DCT braking, riding mode, etc.
+ tiny windscreen did the job

On the negative side:
- not sure I liked DCT. I thought I would, but it wasn't that seamless. Accelerating sometimes seemed to cause the engine to knock or lug. Downshifting w/ paddle first make the bike practically fly. I should add that I'm over 250, and also it's possible that some of the many settings would have improved this.
- front-end dive. Again, could probably adjust this. The shocks can be fully adjusted.
- twitchy throttle! My ctx twitches like crazy on bump roads in low gears. This bike was very twitchy just getting started. Don't know how it would behave on rough road, especially w/ the skinny throttle grips (use Kuryakns on my CTX).

Overall, not really sure, if it would be an upgrade. Getting back on the CTX for the ride home just seemed right. Hopped on and went, no muss, no fuss. Shifting no problem, took corners and onramps at speed, hit 90 when I wanted to.

I'll probably go back for another ride when the 2020's come in. Also, I'll be spending a few days on a 1200 GS in March.
Illinois likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-08-2019, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Sounds tough having to ride all those exceptional machines. Try to hang in there.

We ARE our choices.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-09-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois View Post
Sounds tough having to ride all those exceptional machines. Try to hang in there.
Somebody's got to do it.
Illinois likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 11-09-2019, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
@LouisWu . If you have a chance test ride BMW S1000XR. I had a chance to take one out for a spin, I think it might fit your needs. I loved it.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-10-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makedon View Post
@LouisWu . If you have a chance test ride BMW S1000XR. I had a chance to take one out for a spin, I think it might fit your needs. I loved it.

165HP at 11,000 RPM? Way too much power for me.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-11-2019, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisWu View Post
Just test-rode a 2019 Africa Twin Adventure. The ostensible reason for this is that the 90 knee position on the CTX turns out to be painful for my reconstructed knee. I have forward pegs, but limited help. For some reason a more bent position causes me fewer issues.
Experienced a little hip discomfort with the CTX at first. Broke down and added Kuryakin mini-floorboards per numerous suggestions on the forum. Angle is adjustable with the adaptors. In- expensive, at 6ft 1" they seem to have solved the problem.
Stlburd2 and LouisWu like this.

We ARE our choices.

Last edited by bob; 11-11-2019 at 05:57 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-12-2019, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
IS the twin only available in the DCT???

Bikes Owned:
2001 Harley Sportster 883r - Sold
1985 Honda Areo 50cc 2stroke -sold
1974 Harley FLH 88ci - Sold
1981 Honda CB900F - Sold
1998 Ural Sportman 650 - stuck with it
2014 CTX1300 DLX no mods, yet!

You may be a King,or a lowly street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper. - Death
post #8 of 16 Old 11-12-2019, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
The Africa Twin is available with DCT transmission and Manuel/Standard transmission.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-29-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Went back to the BMW dealer, rode a couple lightly used GS's, and pulled the trigger. In many ways it's not as comfortable of a bike as the CTX, but it certainly makes up for it in other ways. I would have preferred to keep both, but though my wife was surprisingly okay w/ me switching to a third bike in three years, she definitely is not up for keeping two.

Thanks for all the help over the last 2-1/2 years, this has been a great resource and community!

pete
Illinois and MoPops like this.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-29-2019, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisWu View Post
Went back to the BMW dealer, rode a couple lightly used GS's, and pulled the trigger. In many ways it's not as comfortable of a bike as the CTX, but it certainly makes up for it in other ways. I would have preferred to keep both, but though my wife was surprisingly okay w/ me switching to a third bike in three years, she definitely is not up for keeping two.

Thanks for all the help over the last 2-1/2 years, this has been a great resource and community!

pete
Congrats on the new ride. But of course ...

Ed

"Valar Morghulis."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page