Honda CTX1300 Forum

Honda CTX1300 Forum (https://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/)
-   Touring & Ride Reports (https://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/touring-ride-reports/)
-   -   Skyline Drive, Blueridge Parkway, Deal's Gap! (https://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/touring-ride-reports/35853-skyline-drive-blueridge-parkway-deals-gap.html)

shane 07-01-2019 08:44 PM

Skyline Drive, Blueridge Parkway, Deal's Gap!

Hey all, I've got a 1400-mile trip happening from July 10-18 and I'm going to post updates here as I travel. Here's my ROUGH itinerary:

Day 1: Travel from home to Skyline Drive, complete the drive. (Wed. July 10)
Day 2: First half of the BRP (Thur.)
Day 3: Second half of the BRP (Fri.)
Day 4: Family gathering at my sisters (Saturday)
Day 5: Family time again (Sunday)
Day 6: Deal's gap (Monday; pretty much all day and spending the night there-ish)
Day 7: Trip home on random secondary roads, part 1
Day 8: Trip home on random secondary roads, part 2

Looking forward to it, but this means I won't be attending the meet-up the following week, which I was looking forward to. Schedules are hard. :(

Willmarth 07-02-2019 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane (Post 375991)
Hey all, I've got a 1400-mile trip happening from July 10-18 and I'm going to post updates here as I travel. Here's my ROUGH itinerary:

Day 1: Travel from home to Skyline Drive, complete the drive. (Wed. July 10)
Day 2: First half of the BRP (Thur.)
Day 3: Second half of the BRP (Fri.)
Day 4: Family gathering at my sisters (Saturday)
Day 5: Family time again (Sunday)
Day 6: Deal's gap (Monday; pretty much all day and spending the night there-ish)
Day 7: Trip home on random secondary roads, part 1
Day 8: Trip home on random secondary roads, part 2

Looking forward to it, but this means I won't be attending the meet-up the following week, which I was looking forward to. Schedules are hard. :(

That is a great itinerary. Forty years ago a buddy and I raced up the hill to see who could get to this tunnel first handlebar to handlebar at go directly to jail speed. Mary's rock tunnel on Syline Drive forty years ago with a Yamaha 650 (my buddy's bike) and my Honda 550 four. Both with open exhausts it was the primo tunnel experience :cool:

shane 07-02-2019 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willmarth (Post 376009)

That is a great itinerary. Forty years ago a buddy and I raced up the hill to see who could get to this tunnel first handlebar to handlebar at go directly to jail speed. Mary's rock tunnel on Syline Drive forty years ago with a Yamaha 650 (my buddy's bike) and my Honda 550 four. Both with open exhausts it was the primo tunnel experience [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]

Yikes I know that tunnel but I was in my truck last time and have never been there on two wheels. Sounds like you had fun! I've done part of the BRP on motorcycle but chickened out during a thunderstorm. That was before I had real rain gear. Now? I'm ready!

cjm76 07-02-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Forty years ago a buddy and I raced up the hill to see who could get to this tunnel first handlebar to handlebar at go directly to jail speed. Mary's rock tunnel on Syline Drive forty years ago with a Yamaha 650 (my buddy's bike) and my Honda 550 four. Both with open exhausts it was the primo tunnel experience :cool:

Ah, to be young again... Wait - I would still do this.

HansenCTX 07-02-2019 06:49 PM

I am out of town on the 10th - 13th, then again on the 17th and 18th. I can totally meetup with you Sunday afternoon or Monday (all day). In fact, I might be able to do a one- or two-night motocamping trip. I am in Anderson SC, 139 miles from Deal's Gap. I can leave Sunday after church and be there late afternoon. We can ride on Monday!! I have no commitments Tuesday morning, but I do have work that night for a few hours (6pm - 9pm). With that in mind, I might be able to stay Monday night too!

Let me know if this works.

Peace,
Chris

Willmarth 07-02-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjm76 (Post 376015)
Ah, to be young again... Wait - I would still do this.

Two quotes:

ďYouíre a better man than I am, Gunga Din!Ē --Rudyard Kipling

"A man's got to be aware of his limitations" --Dirty Harry

:smiley-happy0034:

shane 07-03-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HansenCTX (Post 376037)
I am out of town on the 10th - 13th, then again on the 17th and 18th. I can totally meetup with you Sunday afternoon or Monday (all day). In fact, I might be able to do a one- or two-night motocamping trip. I am in Anderson SC, 139 miles from Deal's Gap. I can leave Sunday after church and be there late afternoon. We can ride on Monday!! I have no commitments Tuesday morning, but I do have work that night for a few hours (6pm - 9pm). With that in mind, I might be able to stay Monday night too!

Let me know if this works.

Peace,
Chris

@HansenCTX Chris that sounds great! I will be staying at my sister's with the fam on Sunday night and I'm going to head to Deal's Gap in the morning. I'll PM you here with my phone # and we can figure out the logistics.

Gary9648 07-03-2019 03:23 PM

Sounds like an awesome ride.....how do I know? BTDT. You will love riding in the mountains on the BRP. Also if you can squeeze in the time, ride the Charohala trace just south of Deals Gap. It is magnificent as well. Your CTX will handle it with grace and ease.

LouisWu 07-03-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

That is a great itinerary. Forty years ago a buddy and I raced up the hill to see who could get to this tunnel first handlebar to handlebar at go directly to jail speed. Mary's rock tunnel on Syline Drive forty years ago with a Yamaha 650 (my buddy's bike) and my Honda 550 four. Both with open exhausts it was the primo tunnel experience :cool:

Just went through the tunnel last week. Happily, I was the only one in it at the time.

shane 07-03-2019 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary9648 (Post 376083)
Sounds like an awesome ride.....how do I know? BTDT. You will love riding in the mountains on the BRP. Also if you can squeeze in the time, ride the Charohala trace just south of Deals Gap. It is magnificent as well. Your CTX will handle it with grace and ease.

Thanks Garyís! This is a pretty short ride for me as rides go, and Iím looking forward to the scenery if not the humidity. Itís gotta be better than here on the coast haha. Good call on Cherohala, I might be able to make time for that. I was hoping to follow the Great River Road this summer but just couldnít find the time. That would be about a 3,000 mile round trip for me.