• 1 Post By Makedon

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Inflating rear tire

A ridiculously simple thing that shouldn't be so complicated: I'm having a **** of a time finding a gas station with an air compressor nozzle that will fit the valve on my CTX 1300D rear tire. Between the valve and the rim there is so little space: nothing fits other than the old fashioned ball-type compressor nozzles, which no one seems to have avalailable anymore. The fat ones with the added pressure guage, and the straight ones - I just can't get them to seat around the valve. I don't want to yank on the valve and damage it. Anyone else found a solution to this? Are there portable compressors that solve this problem?

PS: also, I don't own a car, so I don't have a 12V cigarette lighter thing to power a portable compressor. Anyone know of a portable compressor that plugs into a wall outlet?

Last edited by Matthewinthepearl; 06-24-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 12:44 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Garage
Do a search using the search box in the upper right of this page for Valve Stems and you'll find a number of threads in this forum on that very subject. There are a few solutions.
One is to buy a right angled extension to put on ONLY when you fill the tire with air ( I really wouldn't leave those on all the time since that could cause a failure of the rubber stock valve stems due to spinning forces). This would be the option for you for right now since you can likely find these at most discount auto parts stores and it won't require removing the tires to implement.

Another is to replace your valve stems with 83 or 90 degree metal valve stems as many of us have done. Unfortunately that requires removing the tires to do so and is best done when the tires are replaced and doesn't help you right now. But I think this is the best solution going forward as these angled stems make it SO much easier to check air pressure and fill up from ANY hose without keeping track of an additional adapter to put on the stem first.

Here is a thread about these angled stems with a picture that shows them on the CTX1300 tire:
https://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/w...new-shoes.html

And another thread where post 8 (by another member) has a link to the very same stems I used:
https://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/w...alve-stem.html

There are also several other threads on the subject that show up in the search.

Oh, and I agree, I really don't understand why mc makers make it so difficult to do something that should be so simple like filling the tires with air.
-

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- sold
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489 - sold
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Excellent, thanks! I need a new rear tire this summer anyway so I'll have that done. I knew there might be a simple fix. Best, M

post #4 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I have this valve access tool from cycle gear. https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...ve-access-tool. I carry this with me on rides , I have used it once, it does the job but itís not a permanent solution, I have it in my motorcycle tool kit, mostly for emergencies, I also have a 12 volt small air compressor with me while on a longer rides.
HansenCTX likes this.

Last edited by bob; 06-24-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Fixed link to point to accessory
post #5 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 02:49 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Garage
Tried to fix that link but the Cyclegear website refuses to go directly to the item. Just go to the main web site that the link takes you to and type in "oxford valve access tool" in the search box.

/bob
prior and current bikes:
1973 Harley Davidson 125 dual sport- sold
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750- sold
1990 Honda Gold Wing GL1500- sold
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650- sold
1998 Honda ST1100- sold
2014 Honda CTX1300A (U.S.A. Ion Blue Deluxe)-sn: 489 - sold
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 (wife's ride)
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewinthepearl View Post
A ridiculously simple thing that shouldn't be so complicated: I'm having a **** of a time finding a gas station with an air compressor nozzle that will fit the valve on my CTX 1300D rear tire. Between the valve and the rim there is so little space: nothing fits other than the old fashioned ball-type compressor nozzles, which no one seems to have avalailable anymore. The fat ones with the added pressure guage, and the straight ones - I just can't get them to seat around the valve. I don't want to yank on the valve and damage it. Anyone else found a solution to this? Are there portable compressors that solve this problem?

PS: also, I don't own a car, so I don't have a 12V cigarette lighter thing to power a portable compressor. Anyone know of a portable compressor that plugs into a wall outlet?
I use this battery powered pump:

And this adapter:

The combination works like a champ and you can throw it in a saddlebag when traveling
post #7 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Garage
Hey Matthewinthepearl!

I have a video that describes what I do with tire issues while on the road. I hope you find this useful.

Peace,
Chris

Deluxe-Red 000032
post #8 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Garage
Buy a portable battery operated pump. It should have the 90 degree elbow you need. I use one all the time and also have a larger electric air compressor in my garage with the correct tire inflator nozzle as well. Just easier using the battery pump then dragging out out the air hose.

65' 250cc Ducati Monza
68' 350cc Honda Scrambler
74' 350cc Honda CB350L
76' 750cc Honda CB750K
78' 1000cc Honda GW
94' 750 cc Honda VF750C Magna
14' 1300cc Honda CTX1300D
post #9 of 9 Old 07-03-2019, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Once you find your compressor here is a nozzle that I found gives me access to just about any tire valve stem even the tires on my CTX1300. It is from Motion Pro and can be purchased on Amazon. It is a little pricey for an air chuck (about $31) but it is a quality piece, solves the problem and can be used on just about any tire. Hope this helps.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page