LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-23-2020, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
SCS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brake pad inspection, cleaning, lubrication

I just purchased a used CTX. For peace of mind, I removed the front calipers. Removed the brake pads. The Pads are at 80%, not bad for 11 k miles. The previous owner must have been a freeway driver. Wire brushed all the slid areas. Used brake cleaner on the OEM pads, wire brushed the back of the pads and all contact areas. Steelwooled the treaded holding pin. Wiped down the disc with brake cleaner. Lubricated all slid areas with silicone brake lubricate. I bleed the system the day before. Will do the back caliber. Test ride tomorrow.

Shelter at home today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-23-2020, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
SCS

(Thread Starter)
I test rode the CTX after brake maintenance. Front brakes are working fine. the rear brakes pads were like new. The rear brake peddle is right there but had to press a lot to produce a skid, not good in my opinion. Rubber hydraulic line expanding? Stainless Steel lines are way better. Will rebleed the rear system tomorrow.

Good night everyone
post #3 of 10 Old 03-23-2020, 10:40 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Garage
Don't forget to bleed the one piston on the front left caliper during the rear brake system bleed. The rear brakes are linked with one piston on the front left caliper. I believe the center piston on that side. Should be bled first before bleeding at the rear caliper IIRC.
SCS likes this.

/bob
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS - my current ride
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 - wife's ride
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-23-2020, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
SCS

(Thread Starter)
I have the standard model, no abs. I did notice two bleed valves on the rear brake caliper. The dealer did bleed the rear brakes recently. The right bleeder valve had brake fluid residue on it. I'm looking at the service manual and it says both valves need to be bled. Maybe this is the stopping problem with rear brakes. The dealer did do there job?
The Service manual has the right one bled first, page 18-27
I will bleed the rear caliper in the morning

Movie time, now

Thank's for your input
post #5 of 10 Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
In the early months of CTX ownership, I thought the rear brake feel was a little mushy. Another forum member aptly described it as stepping on a plum. I bled the rear (and the linked front) brake a few times without much difference in feel. I had the dealer take a look once when I had it in for service, but they said nothing was wrong. What else could they say - they didnt have much experience with the bike either. The brake worked, so I figured it was what it was and I stopped worrying about it. It now feels normal to me. I even use the rear brake more now than I ever had on past bikes. I think my only concern would be switching to a new bike and accidentally being too deliberate on the rear brake, which could be trouble in spirited riding.

Let us know if you get the feel where you want it...
SCS likes this.

1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe (traded)
1982 Honda CB900F (stolen)
1980 Kawasaki 750LTD (traded)
1982 Yamaha XV920R (traded)
1987 Harley Heritage Softail (traded)
1983 Yamaha Seca 900 (sold)
2002 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura (sold)
2014 Honda CTX 1300
post #6 of 10 Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
SCS

(Thread Starter)
That plum feeling on the rear brake pedal, good one. My sold bikes 2012 Harley Street glide and Suzuki 2004 VL1500, if you wanted to lock up the rear brake, they would. In a safe area going straight at moderate speed, it nice to know how your bike performs in a rear-wheel skid. Knowing in your mind how your bike performs in a panic stop is a good thing. I've been riding for 25 years

I will bleed the rear brake today, It's raining, so I may not get out to test the bike.

Thanks for input

Be safe and play safe
post #7 of 10 Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
SCS

(Thread Starter)
These are just my opinions, I'm not suggesting anyone doing anything unsafe. I would only test rear skid on an older tire, you won't any flat spots on a new tire.

Be Safe and Ride Safe
post #8 of 10 Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
bob
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, I had a Deluxe model. BUT I was also thinking that all models included linked rear brakes, not just the ABS versions. I may be wrong about that however. Since I don't have the service manual any more I cannot verify this thought. IF you do have linked rear brakes there will be 2 hoses going to the left front caliper and 2 bleed valves, one may be on an end of the caliper. The rear caliper does have 2 and the one closer to the hose should be bled first.

/bob
2013 White Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS - my current ride
2003 Honda Metropolitan CHF503 - wife's ride
flickr photos of CTX1300A
Yep, that lone state of Maine is where I owned my first mc.

Last edited by bob; Yesterday at 02:36 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
SCS

(Thread Starter)
I bled both rear valves 3 times each, no air. The foot pedal is right there, but that plum feel on the rear foot brake is still there. I bet a stainless line would get rid of that. We shall see after my test ride

Take care, everyone
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
SCS

(Thread Starter)
Test ride yesterday. The rear brake is better not quite there.

I called Galfer's customer service. They do not make a prefabricated set of Hydraulic lines for the Honda CTX or the ST models. He told me they make custom lines all the time. I would have to remove all the stock lines and blocks. Before removing anything. Get a long piece of tubing. Stretch it out from the master cylinder to each brake caliper. Check the steering right to left, give yourself enough length. The two lines will come off of the Master cylinder. I would email all the specifications, length, color, all black, the end fittings needed, to them.

https://galferusa.com/products/custom-line-builder

I had a Suzuki 2004 Intruder VL1500. I changed all the lines on that bike. That model had a prefab kit. Those brakes were perfect after that change out. The lines came off of the Master cylinder, it was no problem

My project: I will start with front brakes first, also being a standard CTX model this job should relatively easy. My biggest fear would be doing the measurement correctly.

Enjoy your day, everyone

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page