CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a ctx1300 over the Chicago winter. Today I was finally able to take her out on a couple hour drive.

My first ride thoughts
1) This is the heaviest bike I've owned by about 150 lbs so my plan for today was to goto a big parking lot nearby and do some low speed handling drills, figure 8s, etc for about 30 minutes before going for a ride.
2) Holy **** I was not doing a good job handling the bike! I've done an intermediate course but it was on a 900cc cruiser. Could that make such a big difference? I started having regrets about buying the bike... It just felt so freaking heavy and awkward trying to do right parking lot turns. I decided to go back home for a few to cool down physically and mentally.
3) Drank some water and decided to inflate the tires a bit more. The rear tire was only 20 psi, woops! I filled it up to 35 4 weeks ago... I guess I let more air out than I realized trying to measure the air last time. Anyways, I really learned today don't ride with flat tires.
4) I went back to the parking lot and it felt so much better... Just a little heavier than I'm used to but the posture and balance is amazing. Off to the road I go.

I road around my area for about 45 mins taking a ton of turns at various speeds to continue to feel out the bike. After the first 30 minutes I really, really start to love the bike.

I got the Bluetooth working, picked up my wife, and we went for about a 90 min round trip to a western suburb we enjoy. Both her and I would get kinda sore after about 60 mins on the Vulcan 900 but we felt ZERO fatigue or discomfort in this bike.

I haven't owned any motorcycle longer than 2 years because nothing ever felt right. I actually think I found a good bike for many years! So freaking excited.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Welcome aboard, @mcc0rm4ck !!!

Bike does feel heavier than it looks sitting still, but feels WAY lighter than it looks once rolling 10mph. It’ll actually carve up some twisties a lot better than you think it would! Can’t imagine any other bike that could do so many different types of riding “well”. It may not be “the best” at any of them, but I only need one bike in the garage for touring, cruising, or general hooliganism!

·
Registered
20 Posts
i agree , a very forgiving bike and does what you want very well . A lot of times now, i notice that i will just stay in 5th and go though diffrent speed zones , a pretty wide ratio and doesnt miss a beat

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I first tried this bike in 2015, I loved it instantly. I could turn so much easier than my 2009 Suzuki C50 cruiser. (better rake angle). Yes, at 734 lbs it's a heavy bike compared to the Yamaha FJ1300 by 85 lbs. but I find it very stable on the highway when passing on-coming trucks.
My 2 cents worth :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys.

After about 30 minutes (with the inflated tire) the bike definitely grew on me fast. The rake angle is great for steering, that's for sure.

I forgot to mention my one complaint - the shock from the front handlebars. I read about it on the forum a lot but figured it couldn't be that bad... wow was I wrong. I am young so I think I have a bit more tolerance for roughness but out of the 6 bikes I've owned I have absolutely NEVER felt anything like the jolts through my hands when I go over a rougher street or railroad crossing. It's a bizarre experience... I felt absolutely nothing in my butt but I audibly exclaimed "ouch" when going over the bumps from the pain it caused in my hands.

I've read a bunch of people's solutions for that so I am not overly concerned, just need to buy the parts.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
70 Posts
Congratulations on your new CTX 1300. I recently got mine and I love it. I'm glad you took some time to get use to the bike. I am still getting use to mine but every ride gets better. I just love the bike itself and can't wait to put many miles on it. I adjusted my rear suspension and got a much smoother ride, I suggest this for all riders who feel the bike is too stiff. I have been taking my time and getting the upgrades/addon I want and I just keep loving it more and more.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've read about people doing this... how does it impact cornering? It feels so crazy to me to put a car tire on the bike but it has to be way cheaper AND lasts longer right?

Put a car tire on it and it practically stands up on it's own... :)

View attachment 46667

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Welcome to the club, you got a good bike there. Not perfect but I've never in my life found anyone who doesn't change something to make the bike what they want it to be. One cheap easy thing on those jolts thru the bars would be to remove those bar end weights. I did that and it helped quite a bit. Enjoy and ride safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always thought bar end weights helped REDUCE those types of things. I've read that numerous removed the bar weights and it helped.

Super backwards based on prior bikes I've owned.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Removing the bar end weights and installing Grip Puppies makes a big difference. You feel some vibration but most of the jolt is gone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good to know. I will do that ASAP. The JOLT is insane on this bike considering every other part of it is insanely comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
The bar end weights are for reducing engine vibration, not shock jolts from the road. OK, they may do that also on some bikes... a little. But mostly for engine vibes.
Removing those weights, and even maybe installing lighter weights in their place, will reduce the road vibes but increase the constant engine vibration. That's where the grip puppies come in. Not that engine vibration is much of an issue on this bike.

Though I am one of several who really didn't have much of an issue with fork shock over bumps. It seems that varied from one bike to the next.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for all the comments guys.

After about 30 minutes (with the inflated tire) the bike definitely grew on me fast. The rake angle is great for steering, that's for sure.

I forgot to mention my one complaint - the shock from the front handlebars. I read about it on the forum a lot but figured it couldn't be that bad... wow was I wrong. I am young so I think I have a bit more tolerance for roughness but out of the 6 bikes I've owned I have absolutely NEVER felt anything like the jolts through my hands when I go over a rougher street or railroad crossing. It's a bizarre experience... I felt absolutely nothing in my butt but I audibly exclaimed "ouch" when going over the bumps from the pain it caused in my hands.

I've read a bunch of people's solutions for that so I am not overly concerned, just need to buy the parts.
Definitely check out the ROX shock absorbing risers for the jarring front end. They make absolutely all the difference in the world..... and Grip puppies for the small grips.
It is a great bike!

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Nice to see someone else in the Chicago area. I've always felt like I was the only CTX1300 owner around! I bought one of the first ones (maybe THE first one) sold in this market, and I have yet to see another one on the road in the 7 years I've had it. Sometimes it's cool to have a unique bike, and sometimes it feels a little lonely!

·
Registered
201 Posts
@ShadowRider . I believe there is at least 5 or 6 CTX1300 riders from Chicagoland area that are forum members too, and 1 or 2 from NW Indiana. I’m from the suburbs, more specific Countryside, IL , where Stevenson (I 55) meets Tristate ( I 294), near La Grange Rd and Stevenson .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have only seen 1 on the road before in this area. I did find out my CTX1300 was sold from Des Plaines honda originally which is kind of cool!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Really? That's good to know since I am taking it in for service... haha

1 - 20 of 26 Posts