CTX 1300 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. To the original comments about handling the bike, read in one of these posts about moving up on the seat. I tried about an inch or so and it felt like a different bike maneuvering tight turns . It works and you'll love the ride even more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Put a car tire on it and it practically stands up on it's own... :)
Really not good advice for someone learning how to maneuver a new-to-them BIGGER bike
I will express my opinion that it would be better to get really good with what is OEM before trying an alternative

I've read about people doing this... how does it impact cornering? It feels so crazy to me to put a car tire on the bike but it has to be way cheaper AND lasts longer right?
As an experienced rider ( well over 250,000 miles mostly on Goldwings - a heavier bike than the CTX1300) I can tell you the feeling is different
I tried it for 30,000 miles and went back to the regular motorcycle tire -
Does it WORK ? yes
But it may not be the best feel for everyone - I expect you will have to get much more experience on the bike before you try this.

Try slow speed riding in 2nd gear rather than 1st if you are doing this - it may help smooth out the handling.

Honda is notorious for under suspending the front ends of motorcycles - New springs may help if the old ones are sacked to remedy the jolting of every crack in the roadway.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
My CTX was also from Des Plaines Honda. I saw the bike at the Motorcycle Show and called the dealer a week later to have them order me one. Mine was the first one they had ever seen in the dealership, so it took them a little time to get used to it. That's why I'm pretty sure I got one of the first 1300s in this area, since Des Plaines Honda is likely THE biggest dealer around here.

While I understand the reason for it, I'm kinda bummed that they moved so far away. They used to be 14 miles from my house, now it's double that.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
@ShadowRider . I believe there is at least 5 or 6 CTX1300 riders from Chicagoland area that are forum members too, and 1 or 2 from NW Indiana. I’m from the suburbs, more specific Countryside, IL , where Stevenson (I 55) meets Tristate ( I 294), near La Grange Rd and Stevenson .
My dealer said they had sold a few other CTX1300s, so I knew there had to be more of them around. I've just never SEEN another one outside of a dealership. The only time I did was when I met Bob (one of the admins on this forum) at an event in Wisconsin. It was for ST1100 and ST1300 owners, so we were the oddballs. LOL

Honestly I probably haven't seen any others because I can't do many long trips any more--arthritis in my hands just makes that unbearable. Mostly I take my bike to the gym and back, and sometimes out for lunch or dinner. And I wasn't able to do that for over a year, either, due to the pandemic. I'm hoping to get out more often this summer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah... I guess the Honda dealer in west Chicago on north Ave is the closest but they don't seem to sell many motorcycles these days, their entire stock is water and atv.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for all the comments guys.

After about 30 minutes (with the inflated tire) the bike definitely grew on me fast. The rake angle is great for steering, that's for sure.

I forgot to mention my one complaint - the shock from the front handlebars. I read about it on the forum a lot but figured it couldn't be that bad... wow was I wrong. I am young so I think I have a bit more tolerance for roughness but out of the 6 bikes I've owned I have absolutely NEVER felt anything like the jolts through my hands when I go over a rougher street or railroad crossing. It's a bizarre experience... I felt absolutely nothing in my butt but I audibly exclaimed "ouch" when going over the bumps from the pain it caused in my hands.

I've read a bunch of people's solutions for that so I am not overly concerned, just need to buy the parts.
I just bought one and that was one of the things I noticed the most when I took it for a test ride. So damn harsh in the front end when going over rough roads. I told the owner and he agreed but said I was common to these bikes. What is the remedy??

21 - 26 of 26 Posts