CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here the pics of the Honda 12v accessory installed on the tree instead of the rear by the saddlebag. Basically cut the end of the plug of (for which there is already a plug in location prewired underneath the seat in the Honda harness) and extended the wires to run underneath the seat/fairing up to the handlebar area. This way you have two locations for power (gps & phone, or air compressor, etc.) Also, if you wire it this way to the existing Honda plug in location under the seat it kills power when the key is off so you don't have to unplug the garmin or whatever each time you stop (doesn't run the battery down).

·
Registered
446 Posts
(...) This way you have two locations for power (gps & phone, or air compressor, etc.) (...)
It's only a 10A fuse, I don't think the air compressor fits the picture ;-)

·
Registered
101 Posts
That looks good. I went the other route. My dealer already had the battery tender lead coming off the battery with the SAE connector just zip tied to the risers. I ordered the little Battery Tender SAE-USB adapter, then I just use my Garmin USB cable to power my Nuvi 500. Yeah it stays on when the bike's not running, but I just power it down if It's any longer than something such as a fill-up stop. Plus.... that little USB adapter fits easily in that tiny shallow, little storage compartment on the left right next to my garage door key chain opener.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
It's only a 10A fuse, I don't think the air compressor fits the picture ;-)
And this is exactly why I also put a second 12v socket under the seat and connected direct to the battery with a 15 amp fuse inline. I put it under the seat since I will only be using it for my air compressor (mini Slime air pump) which blows the fuse if less than 15 amp. Don't just plug in a bigger fuse for the factory circuit. The wires on this bike are designed for what fuse is provided. There are other systems on the bike using that fuse also. I've seen too many problems with bike wiring from others plugging in a bigger fuse. The LED systems on this bike are also very different than bikes that came before and you cannot assume that just 'cuz a vendor says their farkle will work if you just tap into the bike wires that it will not blow up something (one member here already found that out the hard way).

·
Registered
207 Posts
I also bought one of those cig power supplies off ebay. The one I bought also had 2 USB ports on it as well. Mounted it w 3M double sided tape in same spot. I plug my Garmin into the lighter plug & use 1 USBplug to charge my phone while riding. I use the Wase app alot while riding & it sucks the power rite outa my phone. This way it keeps itself charged up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I need to get some power too, primarily for my GPS, and I'd also like to add a 12V jack, both of them switched by the key so I don't need to remember to turn things off. USB connectors would be a great addition, and I'm looking for a little info:

1) How do you get the panels off to do the electrical work? Do I need to get a service manual?
2) Do you have any pics of your installations?
3) Where did you get your parts (any links??)?

MaineMan

·
Registered
446 Posts
Getting the outside panels off is described at length in the Owner's Manual. Having said that, like with every vehicle that you intend to fiddle with, the Service Manual is a strongly recommended purchase. Think of it as insurance: for those moments when you don't manage to put it back together using just your memories ;-)

·
Registered
309 Posts
That looks good. I went the other route. My dealer already had the battery tender lead coming off the battery with the SAE connector just zip tied to the risers. I ordered the little Battery Tender SAE-USB adapter, then I just use my Garmin USB cable to power my Nuvi 500. Yeah it stays on when the bike's not running, but I just power it down if It's any longer than something such as a fill-up stop. Plus.... that little USB adapter fits easily in that tiny shallow, little storage compartment on the left right next to my garage door key chain opener.
I use the battery tender adapter to keep my cell phone charged when I have it mounted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts