CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the 12v plug be switched or live, when wired by the dealer? I'd guess that mother Honda has wiring instructions that installers follow. Would like an easy to access plug for the battery Tender:). Thought maybe this plug could perform both functions?

Rav

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I'm not sure how that plug is wired, but I wouldn't recommend it for the battery tender connection. The pigtail is connected directly to the battery terminals and not that difficult to connect once you get to the battery. Going through a normally powered circuit, if it would even work, will put added strain on the battery tender's circuits and probably severely shorten its life.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I added a 12v socket in my right saddle bag using the factory cable/connector.
You can see the details HERE.
It is switched. IOW: only on when the ignition is on or in ACC. And is prewired to the fuse box with a 10amp fuse included from the factory. I intend to use this one for charging devices while riding.
I believe the factory option simply uses this plug/cable to connect to the socket when it is installed. The factory socket option is simply a socket similar to the one I bought at Wal-Mart for my right saddlebag and is mounted in the space behind the right cheek just under the passenger seat, or just behind the right shock. There are mounting holes for the bolts there and an opening for the installed cable to run to get to it. I routed that cable the same for my connection and used the pins I bought for the dummy plug to wire my socket so it can easily disconnect when I need to remove the saddlebag.

I also added another 12v socket under the seat that is direct wired to the battery with an inline 15amp fuse and is always on. My Slime mini air pump needs 15 amps, the factory circuit is not designed to handle that. This one is for emergency use only since I have to remove the seat to use it.

The first photo in my post at the link above shows my 15amp socket and cable laying just over the factory cable (still taped and capped) just before I installed my 10amp socket. If you click on the photo you will be directed to my Flickr album where I also have a photo of the factory cable circled.

I would not use the factory 12v connection for a battery tender or maintainer connection due to it being switched. Better to add a directly wired pigtail with inline fuse, similar to what I did with my 15amp socket. I also have an AccuMate battery maintainer (from WestCo Battery) with a different plug than a Battery Tender brand so wired my own pigtail for that directly to the battery (best option).

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advise Guys thanks! I'm just thinking ahead. Since the plug is switched, perhaps I can talk the dealer into attaching a pigtail to the battery for the battery tender during their prep work. I mean if its already apart how hard would it be?

Thanks again :smiley-happy0034:

Rav

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I did notice that some dealers were doing this already. The local dealer here included the pigtail on all their new bikes in stock but the dealer where I bought mine didn't. I asked about it and was told it was up to the dealer. I read here that some other owners also found the pigtail installed from the dealer. the local dealer here didn't budge very much from near MSRP pricing so I went to another dealer who matched one of the lowest prices we could find around the country... Storm Lake Honda. I knew my connected needed to be different so it was no big deal not getting it installed from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dealer said no problem to my request to install a Battery Tender pig tail on the CTX. He said it only costs him $4 in parts and they install them routinely on all the 4 wheelers, so it was no trouble for them to do.

Oh Yeah! Going to be good to go:520:

Rav

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
79 Posts
I added a 12v socket in my right saddle bag using the factory cable/connector.
You can see the details HERE.
It is switched. IOW: only on when the ignition is on or in ACC. And is prewired to the fuse box with a 10amp fuse included from the factory. I intend to use this one for charging devices while riding.
I believe the factory option simply uses this plug/cable to connect to the socket when it is installed. The factory socket option is simply a socket similar to the one I bought at Wal-Mart for my right saddlebag and is mounted in the space behind the right cheek just under the passenger seat, or just behind the right shock. There are mounting holes for the bolts there and an opening for the installed cable to run to get to it. I routed that cable the same for my connection and used the pins I bought for the dummy plug to wire my socket so it can easily disconnect when I need to remove the saddlebag.

I also added another 12v socket under the seat that is direct wired to the battery with an inline 15amp fuse and is always on. My Slime mini air pump needs 15 amps, the factory circuit is not designed to handle that. This one is for emergency use only since I have to remove the seat to use it.
My bike does not have the 4-pin black "option" cable under the seat. Would I just have to ask the dealer about getting it installed? Or is there a different way to go about it?

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
The option plug for the 12v option is only a 2 pin plug, it is black and is folded back on itself and taped. The 4 pin rear option plug is not likely something the dealer can do anything about since it would need to be included in the harness from the factory. But I might be wrong about that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 tablet using the Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
79 Posts
The option plug for the 12v option is only a 2 pin plug, it is black and is folded back on itself and taped. The 4 pin rear option plug is not likely something the dealer can do anything about since it would need to be included in the harness from the factory. But I might be wrong about that.

Do you have a photo of where it is? or a spot in the shop manual to look for it? Thanks :)

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Do you have a photo of where it is? or a spot in the shop manual to look for it? Thanks :)
See my thread on my install here:
http://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=41810

I have some photos of the factory cable as from the factory as well as one that I added for the 15 amp socket, and another with using the factory cable there for the 10 amp socket I put in the saddlebag. Click on one of the photos to go to me flickr pages where I have another photo with the factory cable circled.

There is a page in the service manual that shows the cable placement but I don't have access to it now to report what page, it is near the front.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah... It was a long night last night, I realized you had a thread and saw the photos not 5 minutes after posting that reply XD thanks though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts