CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm struggling with seeing the sense in this. Here in Oz, the deluxe model (that's all we get here) has a cigarette lighter connection under the seat.

Is there a logical reason it's there? What do people do with it?

I could see the sense in one on the dash or even inside one of the panniers, but can't get my head around the current location. Unless I'm missing something?

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
THIS is what I did with that issue. But we don't have it installed from the factory in the US and I wasn't about to buy the Honda option for the price Honda wanted for it. I also didn't like the location Honda puts it. Really have no answer as to why Honda put it there other than possibly that was a space big enough to put it as an afterthought? Or maybe Honda was thinking you shouldn't be using it while riding?

I did add a second socket that is under the seat with a 15 amp fuse for emergency use with my mini air compressor. The Honda socket is 10 amps and my mini compressor needs 15 amps. I know better than just putting a bigger fuse in the existing circuit since there are other things on that fuse and the wiring is designed for no more than what Honda put there.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I did it the simpler way, though not as elegant as bob.
I got the battery tender and then bought the plug for it. Go for a ride, plug in the cig lighter plug. Unplug it if not using the GPS or charging the phone as habit so I don't forget and drain the battery.
You can get adapters, splitters, power outlets, cig lighters, etc that fit the battery tender lead. You can mount them any where and remove them without any problem when not using them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Probbebly there is a man somewhere in a Honda factory who can tell you the reason for the plug under the seat.
I found it a very easy spot to connect the 12VDC for my zumo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought the 12v outlet and then found it could only go under the seat. My thought - in Canada that have to have the outlet, center stand and I think you plug in the heated gear there, close.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wire

THIS is what I did with that issue. But we don't have it installed from the factory in the US and I wasn't about to buy the Honda option for the price Honda wanted for it. I also didn't like the location Honda puts it. Really have no answer as to why Honda put it there other than possibly that was a space big enough to put it as an afterthought? Or maybe Honda was thinking you shouldn't be using it while riding?

I did add a second socket that is under the seat with a 15 amp fuse for emergency use with my mini air compressor. The Honda socket is 10 amps and my mini compressor needs 15 amps. I know better than just putting a bigger fuse in the existing circuit since there are other things on that fuse and the wiring is designed for no more than what Honda put there.

@bob what gauge wire did you use withyour 15 amp fuse addition. I have seen several sockets ( cigarette lighter) that say they are for 15 amps and some that say 20 amps. Which would you recommend for a mini pump.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
@bigdaddy2036, it's been a while and I didn't see that I noted it in my thread in the Accessories and Gear forum (way back a few pages). IIRC I think I used either 12ga or 14ga wires for the 15amp socket that I added under the seat. The wire gauge is very important for how many amps can run through them and the socket at the end. The difference between differently rated sockets is the connector sizes inside the socket and wire sizes sticking out the end. You'll have to check the input rating on your pump to be sure, but if anything like my Slime mini compressor 15 amp is sufficient but 10 amp will pop every time. A higher rating would be fine other than being a bit over kill for that (depending what your pump is rated for). 16ga wire might be tolerable if wire length is very short and time of use also very short. Otherwise it could overheat if close to the 15 amp rating. I do use 18ga wire for LED electrical stuff since that only runs at 5 amps or less. I think the OEM 12 volt socket option connector under the seat only has 18ga or 20ga wire, if that, and can only handle no more than the 10 amps it is fused for. I prefer to use the next larger wire sizes than the minimum allowed for an application. Better to have a heavier wire and smaller fuse than the other way around (but the right rating fuse for the need of course).

·
Registered
47 Posts
12v socket moved

I had mine moved from under the seat to between the center of the handle bars for easy reach for GPS power. Dealer could not understand why it is originally installed under the seat, likely for emergency purposes when you will have the seat off for jump starting or compressor plugged in etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I had mine moved from under the seat to between the center of the handle bars for easy reach for GPS power. Dealer could not understand why it is originally installed under the seat, likely for emergency purposes when you will have the seat off for jump starting or compressor plugged in etc.
And that is exactly why Honda put it there... for emergency use. The OEM location for the option is in the right cheek in the space just behind the right top shock mounting bolt. It is still able to be used in that location for some gear accessories such as heated suits/gloves but not so handy for GPS or other farkles up front.

BTW - NEVER use the OEM 12v socket connection to jump start the bike. NOT EVER. That circuit runs to a number of other bike systems and the electrical control module and is not direct from the battery. Jump starting the bike using that connection WILL fry electrical stuff on the bike. Also, never use more than the 10 amp fuse for it as supplied by the factory for the same reason, and also since the wires are only sized for the smaller amp fuse.

·
Registered
47 Posts
12v socket

Thanks for that item on the jump start no-go with the 12v socket...would it be possible to use a battery tender connection or take apart the panels and go direct to the battery? I have not ventured to get to the battery yet...

And that is exactly why Honda put it there... for emergency use. The OEM location for the option is in the right cheek in the space just behind the right top shock mounting bolt. It is still able to be used in that location for some gear accessories such as heated suits/gloves but not so handy for GPS or other farkles up front.

BTW - NEVER use the OEM 12v socket connection to jump start the bike. NOT EVER. That circuit runs to a number of other bike systems and the electrical control module and is not direct from the battery. Jump starting the bike using that connection WILL fry electrical stuff on the bike. Also, never use more than the 10 amp fuse for it as supplied by the factory for the same reason, and also since the wires are only sized for the smaller amp fuse.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
@neilwest - It is possible to use the battery tender connection since that is direct to the battery. However take care even with that since there is an inline fuse (usually) on that pigtail and the wires are not as beefy as jumper cable wires. But it's possible.

The best choice, though not as convenient, is direct to the battery by removing the battery cover. I've been able to get access to both terminals on the battery by removing only the cover panel. Of course there's the issue with taking care with the tabs on the cover but if you've had it off a few times that becomes a non-issue after figuring it out.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Is there a logical reason it's there? What do people do with it?

Kevin
I always assumed that it was there for the squirrels who live under the seat in the winter time to plug in their tiny little television sets.

Reactions: PGRChaplain

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Hello, everyone.

What I can't seem to find out is what type of receptacle the Honda version actually is. Cigarette lighter-esque, or Powerlet?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
It is simply listed as a 12v socket. I take that to mean a standard 12v socket and not a Powerlet (which is a separate patented item not related to Honda). So likely what you would call a cigarette lighter socket (standard 12v socket).
HERE is the install document from the Honda link for it in the accessories page for the CTX1300. May show it more clearly.

I am thinking that the location of the Honda accessory is for emergency use only, or for some electrical heated gear that you would leave connected, since it is not where it would be easy to access. The 10 amp fuse is not big enough for many air compressors so I ran a separate dedicated wire pair directly from the batter with an inline 15 amp fuse to a truck bed socket with lid that sits under the seat to run my compressor when it is needed for an emergency. I then used the factory provided connection and added the official OEM pins to the dummy plug and put a 12v socket in my right saddlebag (where I could easily get to it) to charge small stuff like my cell phone and Sena. I have a thread for that work in the Electrical forum here. I'm cheap and don't like paying high prices for factory options so bought my socket at Walmart.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts