CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
CTX1300D, 1976 Goldwing
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CTX'ers,
Just finished my 16,000 mile service which I did myself. Thought I would just discuss how it went and what difficulties there are. Was not particularly looking forward to doing this, but I have the tools, space, time and ability. I also have the factory repair manual which I would say is a must for anyone who owns this motorcycle. So went down the service check list and did what is required. Key things: Oil and filter (Honda oil, Wix filter), plugs (same as original), air cleaner (K&N), brake and clutch fluid flush, valve clearance check and general is everything tight and connected. I also was able to fix the select switch (Deluxe model) on the right side, but that is a post for another time. Really the biggest challenge is all the body work (or Tupperware as someone in this site referred to it as, lol).The air cleaner alone is a lot of work and the service schedule on it is actually 12K miles. So in retrospect though not really that bad of a job. Improvements, think it runs better and the clutch and brake feel is much improve with the fluid flush. Going to need a new rear tire shortly, have a new Shinko 009 Raven radial in my garage ready for the change (replacing Shinko Advance which I have been completely happy with) and I am sure the battery is going to have to be replace soon.
I purchased this bike about 2.5 years ago new, got a great deal and really enjoy it. Wish it had cruse and my biggest complaint it the initial throttle tip in is just not smooth. My plan is to keep it and keep putting miles on it.
Thx for listening.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
101 Posts
Nice job, thank you for sharing. I need to try to do more of my own maintenance and this inspires me.

Thanks,
James

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Pjchristo you might want to check a product that goes by the name G2 Throttle Tamer. It replaces a part in the throttle and is said to ease that sudden "hit" lets call it when you twist the grip. I know what your talking about as I experienced it too. Matter of fact I believe that "hit" is much more prevalent with fuel injected bikes than those with carbs. I did not get the G2 but got used to my bike. I'm pretty sure it's been discussed here on the forum. Good luck and enjoy your ride.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
That item has been discussed in several threads on the forum. Just do a forum search on "g2" and throttle tamer.

That twitchy throttle, as some on other forums call it, is present on many FI engine bikes. It is talked about many times on the ST-Owners forum as well since the engine/transmission and many other parts for the CTX come from the ST1300. That twitchy throttle is present on the ST as well and always has been since 2002 when the ST came out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
another vote for the G2 throttle tamer!!! This device completely changed the twitchy throttle for me and I enjoy the bike SO much more. Ive had it on the bike pretty much since I bought it, and I would not have it any other way.

from knowledge sharing document:

G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube 40-4F-130 also 06320750G2 Throttle Tamer Honda / Kawasaki / Yamaha - Cycle Gear

·
Registered
21 Posts
another vote for the G2 throttle tamer!!! This device completely changed the twitchy throttle for me and I enjoy the bike SO much more. Ive had it on the bike pretty much since I bought it, and I would not have it any other way.

from knowledge sharing document:

G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube 40-4F-130 also 06320750G2 Throttle Tamer Honda / Kawasaki / Yamaha - Cycle Gear
Does anyone know if the G2 throttle tamer is compatible with Honda heated grips?
I'd think it is but I'd appreciate the experience, thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
I can not personally speak directly to the Honda Heated grips, the Oxford heated grips or the Kaoko throttle lock.. but the diameter of the tube is the same as factory, the magic happens at the cable end, and even that end was pretty near factory sizing thickness wise. Sorry no picture of the tubes side by side during my install.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
The main difference, aside from the change in angle or similar where the throttle cable attaches, was that the G2 is metal where the stock is plastic if I recall. Otherwise it would seem that other grips would work as well as throttle locks. I initially refitted the stock grip when I installed my G2, but shortly replaced the gross with Kury ISOs. You could email G2s tech support, the owner/inventor responded to my questions rather quickly and I will echo @CaliChaos that my experience is also better with the G2!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts