CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once I back the bike out of my garage in neutral and tried to put in first gear it won't engage until I push it few inches forward. I was wondering if this is a common occurrence. This happens every time I back the bike out.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Once I back the bike out of my garage in neutral and tried to put in first gear it won't engage until I push it few inches forward. I was wondering if this is a common occurrence. This happens every time I back the bike out.
Not sure if it's the same issue exactly, but occasionally I find that first won't engage unless I put it into neutral and let the clutch out. When I squeeze the clutch again, it drops willingly into first. This isn't often, however... maybe once every twenty starts. My sitch is similar in that I notice it when I'm backing my bike out of my shed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shane;
I got about 200 miles on the bike, always warmed up before riding and each backing out in neutral while engine is running I experience the same issue I indicated above. Won't go into 1st gear till I push it few inches forward and no problems during rest of the ride. I owned different bikes before and never experienced anything like this. I was wondering whether to take the bike in before 600 mile service or just ride till then. I know there are many members here so here I am asking to find out who might have an answer or two.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Sorry, no answers from me just a few opinions. :) If it's doing it every single time, it sounds like the shop should look at it. If it were me, I would wait for 600 miles ... but my "local" dealership is a hundred miles away, and I routinely do 200-mile day trips, so it would be a very short wait. Maybe give the dealership a call and see what they recommend? If they will look at it for free, and they are not far away, maybe it's something simple like fluid levels or something. They will probably be eager to make sure that your shiny new bike runs the way it's supposed to. Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I've had the issue on a few of my bikes. I had it happen a couple times when the CTX was new. I just developed the habit of engaging the clutch twice after starting and haven't had it happen again on the CTX.
I've also had the issue on other bikes where it wouldn't go into 1st as I stopped. Again, pop the clutch 1 or 2 times and everything meshes again.
As I typed this I was trying to remember which bikes....it was the VT and VTX, both 1300.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
This has to do with how the gears are lined up and how they mesh... or not. I do have this happen. Usually when I've held the clutch in for a while just after starting when the oil is still not fully up to temp. It's happened on all my bikes so far, even the GL1500, so I don't worry about it. OK, it didn't happen on my Burgman 650 but that doesn't have manual shifting anyway so doesn't count. Just let the clutch out, even just a little when you would normally feel friction start, then pull in and put in gear. Not a defect and nothing to worry about IMHO. :D

BTW- I find it doesn't do it so much if at all when I start the bike in neutral and let go of the clutch while I back the bike out of the garage. Then pull the clutch and shift right away into first before I go. Sometimes I let the bike warm up a bit while in neutral and my hand off the clutch, like when temps are over 85*F. Spins up the gears that way and gets them well coated with oil before putting any load on them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

This has to do with how the gears are lined up and how they mesh... or not. I do have this happen. Usually when I've held the clutch in for a while just after starting when the oil is still not fully up to temp. It's happened on all my bikes so far, even the GL1500, so I don't worry about it. OK, it didn't happen on my Burgman 650 but that doesn't have manual shifting anyway so doesn't count. Just let the clutch out, even just a little when you would normally feel friction start, then pull in and put in gear. Not a defect and nothing to worry about IMHO. :D

BTW- I find it doesn't do it so much if at all when I start the bike in neutral and let go of the clutch while I back the bike out of the garage. Then pull the clutch and shift right away into first before I go. Sometimes I let the bike warm up a bit while in neutral and my hand off the clutch, like when temps are over 85*F. Spins up the gears that way and gets them well coated with oil before putting any load on them.
Thanks Bob for the info. Since it only happens during the initial start of a new riding day I'll wait till the 600 mile service . Thanks again putting my mind to ease and thanks to all those who responded. This is my dream bike and I don't have tell you how it feels when something doesn't sound or feel right within the first couple of hundred miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also have the same problem and have solved the problem in the same way the other guys indicated. First time it happened was at a set of lights actually - but all good once I worked out how to solve it. I too love my bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts