CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have heard the 2015 F6B will have cruise control, but not on the CTX 1300.

I have talked to several dealers, they are bewildered why cruise control wasn't offered on either of these bikes in the first place. One told me he could have sold 5 or 6 more F6B's had cruise control been available, instead he sold 3 for the year!

·
Registered
764 Posts
The engineering work for cruise control on the F6B has already been done for the Gold Wing. Honda would have to employ major engineering resources to put cruise control on the CTX1300.

For 2015 the best we can hope for is "Bold New Colors".

·
Registered
446 Posts
(...)Honda would have to employ major engineering resources to put cruise control on the CTX1300.(...)
I bet they do, especially to sign the paper mountain of NDAs with Keihin! When you use 1950s business models, you're bound to be buried by 1950s problems.

If, instead, their ECU was open and it used a standard OBD-II interface and the PID list was also open, you could've had cruise control on your iPhone!

NOTE: being "open" as in "documented and user-expandable" doesn't necessarily mean "enabling modification of stuff that would make the air quality people frown", keep that in mind.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think management at Honda are afraid of using any open systems. They have faced lawsuits in the past when end users bought bikes still in the crates and then injured themselves due to improper bike setup. If Honda used open standards on the electronics they would worry about someone writing a poor program to control the bike, then getting injured, then suing Honda.

This world would be a much better place if we didn't let the lawyers ruin all the fun for the engineers. I'd love to see a bike designed by engineers who are bike enthusiasts without any input from the lawyers. We would see much better performance at a much lower cost.

·
Registered
446 Posts
/me looks around

There are power sockets on all walls and this being Europe, it's 240V / 50Hz. I'm sure I won't survive long if I stuck paper clips into them :) yet I see no lawyer around and the sockets themselves aren't behind bulletproof glass or similar.

I think a line needs to be drawn between protecting an unsuspecting human from getting injured VS. preserving stupid specimens that are bent on hurting themselves :D

Just my 2c.

Reactions: bob
1 - 6 of 6 Posts