CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a moto camping trip that I go to each year and is being held June 18-21 this year. It is located at the Wisconsin Riverside Resort campground in Spring Green, WI. Anyone here who wants to come along with me to this is welcome. It is one of the regular events put on by ST-Owners.com members but there are a lot of different bike owners who show up. Last year there were more NON-ST bikes than ST bikes, mine included. Everything from HD, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW, etc. Oh, and a few Honda :D
This event has an emphasis on riding the roads around central Wisconsin... or just hanging out at the campground if desired. Lots of good riding, or fishing, or canoe/kayaking if desired since it is on a river. There are motels in Spring Green if that is the preference. And I promise a VERY LOW chance of any bad weather ( @ShadowRider :) )

See this link for more information:
LOC STOC and Barrel VII

or ask me (PM or post here) and I'll be glad to help.

Posting this now to allow for plans to be made. I have a few other events later in Aug (maybe) and Sept (most likely) that I plan to attend and will post those as time is closer.

Oh, I plan to be at the campsite Thursday around 2-3 pm with plenty of time to set up the tent and tarp and relax before dinner.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Would like to attend. But justa might too far from the NW corner of the contig US. (Of course I haven't ridden this motorcycle yet. I may not think the same if I get addicted.)

Reactions: bob

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
I would love to see something like this near the VA, NC, TN, SC area. If any of you know of some bike events in the southeast let me know!! I am a teacher, so I get lots of time in the summer to ride. :smiley-happy0034:

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love to see something like this near the VA, NC, TN, SC area. If any of you know of some bike events in the southeast let me know!! I am a teacher, so I get lots of time in the summer to ride. :smiley-happy0034:
You should take a look at the ST-Owners.com forum. Look at the left column on that first page. There are a lot of events throughout the year like this one. Many are out east and NE and south. I don't know if you will be able to see all the details of the links without joining that forum but that should be OK since they like more riders and many ST riders over there are switching to a variety of other brand sport touring or adventure bikes... since Honda suspended the ST. Still, lots of information about our engine on that forum since they've been working on it for over 12 years now, so it might be a good forum to be on anyway just for that.

·
Registered
279 Posts
really good chance I will be showing up on Friday night or sat
ill be on vac the next week in door county so ill hit the rally on the way by and see whats up for rides and stuff

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Usually the group ride starts early... between 9am-9:30 at the latest both days. I usually go exploring my own way but meet up with the group for the designated lunch spot. The group leader usually tells all where they expect to show for lunch and an approximate time when they'll be there, pending how the ride goes.

Looking forward to seeing anyone who shows up. :D

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, that's the one... the same link as in post 1.

Now looking for a nice day to set up the tent to check it out, put on the water proofing treatment (just something I do on the rain fly and floor every or every few years), and air it out. We've been in a very wet weather pattern and I prefer to do this on a weekend but so far every weekend seems to be a wet one, at least during much of it. May have to wait until after Memorial Day.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Teaser panoramic photo here. These are the same camp sites we use every year for this event. Yep, I said sites. Plural. 4 camp sites. And lots of different bikes. This photo was taken before everyone showed up too! And as can be seen, a bit of room for a few more. At the far right is where the paved road is, so very little grave. There are also motels close by. And did I say that the resort restaurant has good food? It does.

·
Registered
279 Posts
how bout passengers
not many pics look as if there are many
I mean does my wife get to go or will she be out of place
cuz your gonna have to tell her, cuz im not gonna

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
how bout passengers
not many pics look as if there are many
I mean does my wife get to go or will she be out of place
cuz your gonna have to tell her, cuz im not gonna
What does not show in that photo, or should I say who does not show there, are the pillion riders. There have been a few at every one of these events I've been to. Well, some spouses/SOs did ride their own. The red Shadow and yellow VStrom are a couple, there was another boyfriend/girlfriend on two bikes, and the HD was a pair. There was even a father/son moto-camping with us. I think there have always been at least two or three women riders or pillions each year. There is one couple from central eastern Iowa who happen to have a wedding anniversary that weekend but they show up to say hello and stay for dinner, usually on Saturday. I really don't think she'd be out of place, so tell your wife to start packing... light. :D

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like anyone who gets there Wednesday or very early Thursday might be able to join in some target practice. The host, Kevin Elliot, is planning bringing some ammo and some of his .22 plinkers to go to a nearby rifle range. I won't make it until Thursday afternoon due to work and time. I plan to get there between 2pm-3pm or sometime thereabout.

Can't miss the camp site as that's where all the bikes are parked. No need to stop at the office to check in as that's all taken care of at this one by the host who will be collecting for camping.

Oh, and Kevin says, the more the merrier! so come one come all!

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well made it there and back again. Kevin and a few others asked where anyone else was (I had mentioned that others were thinking of coming). The trip there included a stop to catch a few photo tag game landmarks, one that was a few miles out of the way. I do one way going up from Des Moines area past Marshalltown to Oelwein, IA. Then on all state or county highways to Prairie du Chein, WI. Then across on WI60 along the Wisconsin River to Green Spring. Before crossing the border I took the side trip up to Waukon, IA and back. Lots of sweeps and curves on the second half of this route and very picturesque. Don't remember the roads I took while there but just set the GPS for the final destination where I was headed and grabbed what ever road looked interesting along the way. The route back was a bit quicker since my wife was planning a cook out on the grill for dinner (Fathers Day) so I kept to faster and more direct roads, but was still able to stay away from Interstate slabs. Total miles ended up only 725 but was fun. Only 2 stops on the way there for the tags and gas and one stop on the way home for gas. Sat in the saddle for up to 3 hours... or what was left after the first stop each way. Here are a few photos. You can see all of the photos I took at my Flickr album HERE. I'm really not so much at taking pictures so this is it at my Flickr.
Packed and ready to ride.

Lunch at Subway. Had a number of guys walk past the bike and stop to look it over real good. One walked all the way around.

Photo tag stop in Waukon, IA.

At the camp site. Mine is the green/blue tent in the middle.

A shot of the 4 camp sites we occupy. Goes to the tent WAY far off under the tree in the center of the photo. Mine is near the end on the right.

A few of the campers around the camp fire. There was one who stayed in a nearby motel. A few more arrived later on. This year was the smallest group I remember at this event.

Riding across the Wisconsin River on the Merrimac Ferry (it's free).

Lunch stop Friday at the Log Cabin in Baraboo.

Ready to head for home.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Panoramic shot: That is the first time I've seen a camp chair used as a recliner.:smiley-happy0034:

Good times @bob!!!!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Great pics! Thanks for sharing!

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Panoramic shot: That is the first time I've seen a camp chair used as a recliner.:smiley-happy0034:

Good times @bob!!!!
You should see MY camp chair. Look up the Alite Monarch Butterfly camp chair. A true recliner since your legs extended way out in front are two of the chair "legs." Most of the chairs you see there are special camp or backpacker chairs for packed size to fit on the bike (I can fit at least 6 of mine in one saddlebag). A few of the guys have the same chair that I have and it's the lowest since it's just a few inches (maybe) off the ground. Very comfortable to sit in, but a bit of a struggle to get out of so I tend to stay once in it. :D

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
@bob A small group of us, 3 bikes, makes a trip to Waukon on an annual basis. It's usually easy to find a room there (too lazy to camp), and the blue highways from up here wind down the River Road, through driftless chunks of SE Minnesota,and NE Iowa and back up through Wisconsin's Coulee region. The scenery is great and the roads are good. I'm glad you enjoy them, too.

Would have liked to have made it to LOCSTOC7, but we had prior commitments. Maybe next time. Thanks for the pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts