CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://tennesseesmith.smugmug.com/NIKEN-GT/i-GV9dGkT

I picked up the Niken today. It's sitting in the garage with 252 miles on it. I rode mostly Kentucky backroads, but I did ride the highway from Somerset to London.

I've been reluctant to call this a bike instead of a motorcycle because "bike" is short for "bicycle" which means "two wheels". But after riding it, it's a bike. You control it just like a normal bike. The reviews have been fairly consistent for the Niken. After my first day, I agree with the consensus. The bike is a little bit vague in the front, especially at very low speed. But once you get it rolling, especially in the twisties, it just feels incredibly planted to the road. I sometimes hear people say a bike they love feels like riding on rails. This one is that tight in the corners. There is none of the wobble you get out of a cruiser. It seems like a sport bike with a softer ride and better control.

It doesn't accelerate anywhere near as quickly as my Gold Wing. But it goes much quicker in the tight places. And the quick shifter is really nice when entering the highway.

The bike handles gravel pretty well also. I never felt close to losing the front, but I did slide the back a bit when I had it on the less aggressive traction control setting.

The ergos are typical Sport/Tourer. My feet are up under me and I lean forward 5 to 10 degrees. Airflow is well sorted for my size. The air coming off the windscreen hits me from the neck up. It's very smooth. I'll still want a bigger windshield though. I don't like looking through the shield on my helmet. With a taller windshield, I won't need a shield on the helmet.

The bike sounds nice enough. It's not real loud. It's smoother than the Scout I traded. The saddlebags are OK for commuting, but they are substandard compared to everything else on the bike. I'll either find some proper hard bags in the aftermarket or just add a top box and remove the bags.

The cruise control is much better than the unit on my Gold Wing. It keeps a much tighter range on the speed. And it's easier to set with gloves on. Sometimes I think Honda built the Gold Wing to be ridden without gloves. The LCD display is not great. But I found the information I needed. The bike goes up on the center stand easily. That will be good for chain maintenance.

Overall I am very happy with the bike.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanx for the report. Enjoy!!!

If you don’t mind me asking - what kind of price are we talking about on that bike?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dare to be different!!. Imagine you'll get some double-takes when folks spot you comin head-on. Glad to hear it's workin out for ya. :smiley-happy0034:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike lists for just under $17,000. I got it for a bit less than list.

·
Registered
314 Posts
NIKEN GT - TennesseeSmith

I picked up the Niken today. It's sitting in the garage with 252 miles on it. I rode mostly Kentucky backroads, but I did ride the highway from Somerset to London.

I've been reluctant to call this a bike instead of a motorcycle because "bike" is short for "bicycle" which means "two wheels". But after riding it, it's a bike. You control it just like a normal bike. The reviews have been fairly consistent for the Niken. After my first day, I agree with the consensus. The bike is a little bit vague in the front, especially at very low speed. But once you get it rolling, especially in the twisties, it just feels incredibly planted to the road. I sometimes hear people say a bike they love feels like riding on rails. This one is that tight in the corners. There is none of the wobble you get out of a cruiser. It seems like a sport bike with a softer ride and better control.

It doesn't accelerate anywhere near as quickly as my Gold Wing. But it goes much quicker in the tight places. And the quick shifter is really nice when entering the highway.

The bike handles gravel pretty well also. I never felt close to losing the front, but I did slide the back a bit when I had it on the less aggressive traction control setting.

The ergos are typical Sport/Tourer. My feet are up under me and I lean forward 5 to 10 degrees. Airflow is well sorted for my size. The air coming off the windscreen hits me from the neck up. It's very smooth. I'll still want a bigger windshield though. I don't like looking through the shield on my helmet. With a taller windshield, I won't need a shield on the helmet.

The bike sounds nice enough. It's not real loud. It's smoother than the Scout I traded. The saddlebags are OK for commuting, but they are substandard compared to everything else on the bike. I'll either find some proper hard bags in the aftermarket or just add a top box and remove the bags.

The cruise control is much better than the unit on my Gold Wing. It keeps a much tighter range on the speed. And it's easier to set with gloves on. Sometimes I think Honda built the Gold Wing to be ridden without gloves. The LCD display is not great. But I found the information I needed. The bike goes up on the center stand easily. That will be good for chain maintenance.

Overall I am very happy with the bike.
I test rode a Nikken a few weeks ago. Cool bike but the ergo's just won't work for me.
I see you mentioned riding 80 between London and Somerset, have you found Short Creek yet? Beautiful spot to stop and hang out for a few.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've not seen signs identifying any place as Short Creek. But for highway riding, it's hard to beat the scenery along that stretch of KY 80. The gorges are gorgeous!

My favorite scenery in Kentucky is the ride going north on KY 167 from the Tennessee line up toward Monticello.

Kentucky has a lot to offer for motorcycling. The terrain of the state varies quite a bit from West to East.

Btw - I bought that Niken at Tri County Cycles. They sell way more four-wheelers than bikes now. But the guys in the shop ride bikes to work. They still identify the place as a bike shop even though they're more of an ATV shop now.

·
Registered
314 Posts
One of the best things about Short Creek is the lack of signage, most of the locals don't even know it's there.
About 20 miles out of London turn left onto Rocky Tree Rd it T's into Short Creek Rd (KY 1675) about 30 yds or so ahead. Make a right then the 1st Left. Short Creek is at the bottom of the hill on the right maybe a 1/2 a mile off 80.
If you miss that turn make a left in a mile or so at the Stab Volunteer Fire Dept onto Ky 1675 it will lead you to Short Creek Rd as well. As I recall Short Creek is the 1st right after the bridge going that way.
It is supposed to be the shortest water way in KY if I remember correctly. Creek runs out of a Rock Face has a small bend and flows into a cave . Spectacular little spot. It's privately owned so it may be fenced off now. Definitely worth the detour to find out. It's been over 10 years since I was there. The sweet little old lady that owned it then was determined to keep it open as long as it was kept clean.
As for Tri County Cycle most of the sales volume was ATV's and Side by Sides when I worked there as well. We still moved a lot of motorcycles though.
After all that typing I discovered that Google maps will lead you to it. In thier sat view it barely shows up as a wide spot in the road.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's awesome. How did I live here for this long and not find it?

If the rain holds off a bit this weekend, I'll ride over there to have a look at it. I'll also put it on my list for Spring riding when there should be more water.

Reactions: cefox

·
Registered
314 Posts
Don't feel bad for not having found it yet. I lived there for almost 30 years before I happened across it. It's one of my favorite spots in the region as well as one of the areas best kept secrets.
Also a bit of morbid local history. In 2002 Pulaski County Sheriff Sam Catron was murdered in the parking lot of the Stab VFD after a campaign rally/fish fry. The shooter was perched on the rock bluff between 80 and the VFD building. 3 people, including an ex PCSD Deputy who was running against Sam, were found guilty of planning and carrying out the murder. I believe all 3 received life sentences, one of them died in prison a couple years back.
Sam was a great guy, a good cop and a good friend of my family.

Reactions: BravoBravo
1 - 9 of 9 Posts