CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used relatively cheap, but well-made phone mounts and have one currently that holds my iPhone 12 Pro Max well. The problem is it is a bit shaky, and I can’t adjust it how I want.

So, I start looking through the CTX forums and I see people talking about the RAM Mounts. People seem to like them, and they have great reviews, and they seem to be very well made.

I picked one that will fit my large iPhone and then I had to add the mount, and the connector and by the time I am set with a mountable phone holder I am at about $55. My first thought where wow that is a lot for a phone mount. The one I use now was $16.99, so there is a huge difference.

But them I thought about it this way. My phone cost over a thousand bucks, spending a bit over $55 to ensure it is safe is not such a high price.

I really like all the different way you can use these mounts, seems like a great system. Looks like you can mount just about anything you may want to.

I will see how the installation goes once it arrives and I’ll see how I like it.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah Ram mounts are stout. The big thing about Ram mount is the universal nature of the mounting system, so you can mount a phone this week and a GPS next week and a cup holder the week after. I did use generic compatible arms on my bike.. they work as they should in the Ram mount.

cup holder - works GREAT!

generic compatible arms:

if you look up the branded ones, you will see why I went generic:

random ? had you seen these mounts?: Protective Cases & Accessories for Apple iPhone and Samsung

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just started using the ram wireless charger mount for my I-phone seems to work well but only have about 100 miles on it. I was using a mount from slipgripcarmounts.com for my previous phones and they held up very well.

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
I made my own mount brackets for my Gold Wing and first Burgman 650. Then I went to RAM mounts for my ST1100, CTX1300, and my current Burgman 650. I'll never go back... unless I find something better. Not likely that however. Just my opinion but I do think the price is worth it. OK, I did go with a non-RAM branded modified X-Grip for my phone. I was using a Garmin GPS with the device specific RAM cradle and kept my phone in my pocket until my current bike. My Garmin was getting old and difficult for updates to fit the memory (no option to add more member in mine). Now I use my phone with Google Maps Navigate and get the very same features, except one, doing that. I download maps onto my phone so I don't need a cell signal everywhere I go. My Pixel phone has the very same water resistance as my Garmin unit did so no worries there. I've had it underwater (shallow pool) for over 10 minutes with no issues. The phone holder I use comes from AliExpress and has an extra pair of prongs to keep the phone in position in the holder. This keeps the prongs off the power and volume buttons (why I chose it). It is otherwise exactly the same as RAM. I like my GPS screen to be top-front-center on the dash is possible so my eyes don't have to leave the road to see it. My gloves have a finger tip that works with phone screens. Just don't have the phone plugged into the power cord during a heavy rain since the plug at the end of the cord is not waterproof even if the phone is. My phone will last for about 4 hours of constant navigating and I find the rain usually stops in less time than that.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
472 Posts
I guess it comes down to....
How much are you willing to spend to keep your $1000 iPhone from flying off?

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up. I bought a $20 mount last year for my phone, but never felt confident enough in the rubber bands to use it. Even tho my phone cost under $100, I want to keep it, particularly on a ride where I need navigation.

Someone have a pic of a rammount on a CTX bar? I've seen devices mounted in the middle, but then they block part of the dashboard.

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
Someone have a pic of a rammount on a CTX bar? I've seen devices mounted in the middle, but then they block part of the dashboard.
Here you go. I mentioned above that my preferred location is on top the dash in the center but the CTX shield was too close to the top of the dash for that without some difficulty so I mounted my unit on the left handlebar just inboard from the clutch reservoir. This worked out great since my GPS unit only blocked my view of the left speaker... which I really don't need to see anyway. My view from the mirrors was better than it looks in the photos but my view of the dash was the same as this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
May RAM phone holder and mount parts arrived today. I am amazed at well made it is and how sturdy it holds. I'll post some pics tomorrow once I find a good spot.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went for a nice 75 mile ride this morning with my new RAM phone mount installed and it is amazing how well it holds. There is not slippage, there is no vibration beyond the bikes. I am highly impressed and sold on the RAM brand.

Thanks,
James

1 - 11 of 11 Posts