CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now put close to 1300 miles on the bike and I have one nagging issue in addition to the mirrors. The grips are just TOO small in diameter to be comfortable, at least for my hands. I find myself gripping them tightly just to hold on, unless I consciously relax my grip. But when I do that I feel like not in good control of the bike.

I replaced the grips on my Shadow with the Kuryakyn ISO grips and they were GREAT. I want to do that on the CTX, too, but the grips are so much shorter that Kuryakyn doesn't have any that will fit, at least not yet. I might have to resort to those foam sleeve thingies temporarily, but they just do NOT match the look of the bike and it will not be a good look.

Maybe we can bug Kuryakyn to do a version for the CTX?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I also thought the grips were too small at first (and also found myself squeezing them too tight) but I have gotten used to them now. I took my Magna out for a spin a few days ago, and the grips felt HUGE to me now.

My gripe is more with the angle of the grips. Overall I love the height and pull back of the bars, but the grips are just not at the correct angle for my wrists.

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
With the CrampBuster I find I never "grip" the grips any more. I added the grip puppies foam overlays before due to cramping from gripping the grips but then also added the CB and lost the need for the grip puppies. I find that now with the CB I simply lay my hands on the grips and let my fingers lay around it, sometimes just lay my fingers over the levers. I control by pressing on both sides lightly and find I actually have much more relaxed control than when I was gripping and wrestling the bars around. Counter-steering is much easier on this bike due to how wide the bars are so I find it even more relaxing than my ST. Rode the ST to a meet up to show it and it was so weird how narrow the bars felt. Almost had trouble they seemed so narrow.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the Throttle Boss that matched the Kuryakyn grips and I HATED it. It made the Shadow WAY too touchy--every time I barely touched it the bike would leap forward. It was actually a hazard, so I removed them immediately. I have to think the Crampbuster would cause the same problem. Maybe it's just how I position my hands, I dunno.

The problem is that the grips on BOTH sides are uncomfortably small for my hands. The Crampbuster wouldn't solve that issue on the left side. So I am going to keep looking.

There's a possibility that if I removed the weights on the ends of the bars along with the grips, I might be able to use the longer Kuryakyn ISO grips if I purchased their end weights as well. But I'm not sure I want to spend $100 or so on this setup and find that it doesn't work. Plus, according to the service manual, removing the end weights actually breaks a piece inside that has to be replaced. :( So I would be out not only the cost of the Kuryakyn parts but would have to purchase a Honda replacement part as well.

But I think those gloss black ISO grips would look AWESOME on the CTX and be a great match for the black handlebar.

·
Super Moderator
2,176 Posts
I've never found palm rests of any kind to make the throttle too touchy. It would be even more pronounced on the CTX because of its already notoriously twitchy throttle; but what I've found is that it actually makes it easier to modulate it over the bumpies.

I'm guessing you may have had yours adjusted too high? Because in the right position, you don't even really know it's there aside from the fact that you don't need to keep a death grip on the throttle. It usually takes me a bit of adjusting to get them just right, maybe two or three rides before I find the perfect position. But once it's there, I can't live without it.

I agree with the black Kury's, though -- I think they'd look great on this bike. If you get them, be sure to get the extra weights if they're available in that grip size and in black (looks like they are?). I'd guess they put bar end weights on this bike for a reason, and if you replace the grips, you'll want to replace the weights, too.

·
Registered
446 Posts
(...)
I'd guess they put bar end weights on this bike for a reason
(...)
Otherwise, your handlebar will start behaving like a tuning fork and you probably don't want that, especially in the case of a rigid mounted one like is the case on the CTX1300.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm now noticing that I am wishing the grips weren't as narrow (I've ordered the CrampBuster). A wider grip would be nice, but how in the world is that stock grip removed?

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
The CrampBuster, at least the CB1 and a few others, is unidirectional. IOW, it can be used on either grip, right or left. Some riders put one on the left as well to allow easier relaxing on that side. The CrampBuster models that have a formed shape for the hand on them also come in a right hand and matching left hand version for the same reason. I'm fine with just laying my hand over the grip on the left side but really like the CB on the right since it does help me control the throttle without effort. I agree that it makes a big difference how it is adjusted. When I first started using one I had it set way too high and found every bump or every time I set my hand on the throttle it would jump... until I reset it just a little lower and now it's great. On bumps I do hold my wrist so it doesn't sag or drop and tap the CB but otherwise my right hand is just laying over the grip and still controlling the throttle. Like everything, including riding style and bike models or styles, everyone is different and one thing doesn't work for all riders. The CB may not be for everyone. Grip Puppies also may not be for everyone. That's why there are so many aftermarket solutions available. :)

Just remember... FARKLE
Fancy Accessories Really Kool & Likely Expensive! :D

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I was at CycleGear over the weekend looking for luggage for this upcoming camping trip, and I mentioned my issue with the grips on the bike being too small in diameter to be comfortable for my hands. The salesman mentioned that they were having a 50% off sale on the CrampBusters, so I decided to take your advice and got two of them. (I think I have a bit of OCD, as having one just on the right side would drive me a little crazy due to the lack of symmetry!) I put on the right one before I left their parking lot.

I have to say that it DOES make quite a bit of difference in my level of comfort. Yes, you do have to experiment a little to get the position just right. I'm still not 100% used to it, and sometimes nudge it a bit when hitting a bump and end up accelerating a bit. But in general I think it's a big improvement, and will be even more so once I'm more used to it.

I had my longest ride yet this weekend, to Milwaukee (about 80 miles from my house). I discovered that I am STILL squeezing the grips too tightly, especially the left one. At one point I realized that my left middle finger had gone numb and I was feeling what seemed like electric shocks shooting through it. Flexing it and resting it helped, and once I install the CrampBuster on the left side I hope it will prevent that from happening again.

But I STILL think I want larger-diameter grips, so I will be watching Kuryakyn closely to see what they might come up with!

·
Super Moderator
2,176 Posts
Cool -- glad to hear the Cramp Buster helps. Everybody's made different -- sometimes you just gotta have a fatter grip to be comfortable.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the CTX will use the same size and type grips as the ST1300. I can't see any other reason why Honda would have a 1 1/8" bar step down to 7/8" for the controls and not use the same controls as the ST, though stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought a similar model to the cramp buster and it really helps. (right hand only so far) Are there any Canadian bike owners that have purchased a throttle lock with the heated grips and have found success. I asked to have a throttle lock installed before I picked my bike up but the dealer said when they tried to install it....it did not fit with the heated grips...Still want a throttle lock but don't know what brand or model to by. Hopefully a member has over come this issue. Appreciate your help

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A wider grip would be nice, but how in the world is that stock grip removed?
I have a feeling you might need to cut it off with a utility knife, so this is NOT a decision you make lightly. You need to be certain that the new grips will work before you remove the old ones. But I might be totally wrong about needing to cut them off. What do you other guys think? This is the first bike I've owned with end weights, so I'm not too familiar with how those work.

·
Super Moderator
2,176 Posts
I don't know about the bar end weights on this bike -- I hear there are some one-use-only parts in there that break when you remove them, but I haven't followed up on that in the service manual yet.

As for the grips, theoretically you can remove them without trashing them. One way is to shove a small flat-head screwdriver under the grip, then use a can of compressed air to loosen them all around. I've never gotten this to work and always end up just cutting the throttle side off. Sometimes the clutch side will loosen up with enough twisting to where you can work it off, but I've never had such luck with the throttle side. Luckily every time I've swapped out the grips, I've been happy with the new choice. But I so wish Honda would just go to a combined one-piece grip and throttle sleeve like so many other manufacturers.

·
Registered
446 Posts
According to the service manual, there's two weights: the one you see on the outside and a longer rod inside the bar. Removing the outside part is all you need to get to the grip and you don't need to break anything to do it. You only need Loctite when putting the long bolt back on ;-)
Removing the inside rod requires straightening a retainer clip and, despite the fact that you could bend it right back and have it last a lifetime, Honda prefers you replace that part with a new one (as it's usually the case with all lock washers, self-locking nuts, cotter pins, O-rings and so on).

Also according to the service manual, the clutch grip comes out if you help it by spraying isopropyl alcohol under its edge. Apparently, the alcohol acts like a solvent for the glue/cement they used to install it.

The service manual doesn't say anything about dismantling the throttle grip (taking rubber off the plastic sleeve), because when switching from plain to heated, they replace the whole assembly. I would guess it's also doable with isopropyl alcohol and some patience.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just intalled Grab-on foam grip covers. They cost about 12 bucks and no more tingling in the hands.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've ordered the Kuryakyn black ISO 7/8" Universal grips & chrome Stilletto grip ends for mine. I hope that they will work. Will post how it turns out! :D
Make sure you don't do anything that would make to unable to return these. The stock grips are much shorter than the Kuryakyns. But if you have the grip ends they MIGHT work. I am VERY interested to see how this works for you. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
try Grip Puppies. They are made of foam and increase the diameter of the grips. They slide over the stock grips, have a soft feel and help a lot for guys like me with a little arthritis in the knuckles. They don't cost much.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just for fun and out of curiosity, I bought a CrampBuster look-alike today (made by Oxford and it's the wide version) and installed it. Wow, made a world of difference, now my throttle control is as precise as on any of my previous bikes -- not to mention I can now hold a dead-steady rpm over bumps.

The right tool for the job!

Reactions: bob
1 - 20 of 27 Posts