CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew got married in Dallas last weekend. I saw that as a good opportunity to go for a ride on the blue CTX1300.

I started Wednesday morning leaving Corbin KY on I75 and took the highway to Nashville TN. After a quick visit with my Mom, I ate at Bar-B-Cutie and then headed south on the Natchez Trace. I stopped at the Merriweather Lewis memorial for the only good photos of the whole trip. The Trace is sort of like the Blue Ridge Parkway except there aren't any mountains. The northern end of the Trace has a 40 mph speed limit, but I was able to run comfortably at 50. I ran the southern part at 60. Almost no traffic and no tickets. I really like riding in the woods. The CTX1300 is just about perfect for this kind of ride. Very relaxing. The weather was awesome with blue skies and not too much heat. I had to get off of the Trace a couple of times for gas and other necessities. Rest stops along the Trace are plentiful. I made it as far as Jackson MS before looking for a hotel. The views along the water as I approached Jackson were spectacular. I had to make several calls before I finally found a room at the Super 8 in Madison MS. I don't recommend the place. When I unpacked the bike I realized that I had left the Garmin removal tool at home. 581 miles on day 1.

On Thursday morning I packed up the bike and got on the Trace at the same place I had gotten off. I rode the rest of the way to Natchez and then crossed the Mississippi River into Louisiana on US84. This was my first time in Louisiana. It reminded me of West Tennessee. I rode US84 all the way to Palestine TX. This was my first time in Texas. I was amazed at the high speed limits and appalled at the condition of the asphalt. How does a state with no freeze/thaw cycle have such crappy roads? From there I made my way to Dallas on various two and four lane roads. After a nice dinner with relatives, I parked the bike in the Elm Street parking garage. That made me a bit nervous, especially since I couldn't remove the GPS. 544 miles on day 2.

On Friday and Saturday we had lots of parties and a massive wedding to attend. I highly recommend the food at the Pecan Lodge, but the hour-long line for lunch was ridiculous. They only have a line because city people think a restaurant without a line is no good. The kitchen was efficient and there were empty tables. If they added a second cash register there would be no line. I ate proper Texas brisket and greens. I enjoyed the view from the Reunion Tower. I got a couple photos up there with my cell phone. I had the best black beans and rice I've ever eaten at the Blue Mesa Grill. 0 miles on days 3 and 4.

On Sunday morning I packed the bike and discovered that the GPS had drained the battery. My brother gave me a push and I was on my way. I got out of town early and headed northeast on TX66, TX224, and TX24 to Paris. My blue bike has now been in Paris KY, Paris TN, and Paris TX. The best road I found in Texas was TX195. The signs called this a Farm Road. I took that up to TX37 and crossed the Red River into Oklahoma. This was my first time in Oklahoma. I continued on OK37 to Idabel where I picked up US70. I really liked the people I spoke with in Idabel and Broken Bow. I took US70 all of the way to Memphis except for a brief excursion on Narrows Road and AR5 to avoid the part of US70 that merges with I30. I really enjoyed Arkansas from Oklahoma to Little Rock. After that is was just flat and windy. I crossed the Mississippi on I55 and made my way through Memphis to stay at the Residence Inn in Germantown TN. This was the best hotel of the trip. 501 miles on day 5.

On Monday morning, after the rain cleared, I rode from Memphis TN back to Corbin KY on normal roads that I have been riding for nearly 40 years. I managed to stay off the interstates and even squeezed in a few twisty bits. The weather was much cooler with overcast skies until I got past Nashville. 452 miles on day 6.

This was a great trip. The blue bike has now been in 21 states. I bought the bike less than 18 months ago. Other than the dead battery due to the GPS, the bike ran perfectly.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Great RR. Sounds like my kinda trip. And the Natchez Trace is indeed a great ride. So, you post pictures in your gallery?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll put a few photos on SmugMug this weekend. I'm in a massive catch-up mode at work after taking four days off.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow, 581 miles in one day! That is some serious riding. My longest jaunt is about 150 miles and my rear was so sore after that I don't think I could go any further. I would need to invest in a better seat or seat comfort accessory if I was going to log that many miles.

Needless to say, it looks like a fun ride and enjoying the views! Did you get take any good pictures?

Cheers,
Austin

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Nice rides, each day (other than the party days :D ).
I did 657 miles one way at one go from home to Spearfish, SD. I expected to be really sore after than but I wasn't. When I arrived I was still ready to ride some more! Just goes to show how different we all are. This stock saddle is the most comfy for me over even my old GL1500. On that bike I NEEDED a backrest to keep my back from hurting after only 150 miles and then my "seat" would be hurting too much after 300 miles to want to go more. Don't need the backrest on this bike nor anything better for a saddle (at least I don't see needing to spend any amount of $$$ for what improvement might maybe be had for me). I did decide that for sanity sake somewhere closer to between 400-500 miles is about right for me in one go in a day. That's about 2 tanks of gas the way I ride. Looking forward to those photos.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reactions: willajabir
1 - 7 of 7 Posts