CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my trip to Milwaukee this weekend, my dad surprised me with a accent lighting kit for my bike. It's really nice, and it should keep me visible (already checked the state laws, we're good in IL). They hook up to the battery, and my concern is that it my cause problems. I remember seeing something about someone messing up some rear lights after adding something? What do I need to know? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
That other issue was due to connecting an aftermarket light mod kit directly to the LED lamp circuit wires. A big no-no in my book. This bike is very different how things work with the factory LED lighting so simply connecting same as on older bikes won't work out. You say this kit connects to the battery. Directly? That should be fine. You can search and read some of my posts (or those of csdexter) on isolated fuse block or power for accessories. Using an Aux signal to turn on/off a relay is OK as long as power comes from the battery to power your add-on stuff. The relay would be to ensure that stuff is powered off when the bike is off just to avoid forgetting to and running down the battery.

ps- I did run down my GL1500 battery once just after I bought it since the original owner didn't do as I mentioned here and wired the driving lights directly from battery to switch to lights. I forgot they were on and the battery ran down. I fixed that with an isolated power panel that turned off when the bike was off. Never ran down another battery again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@bob thank you for the advise, I appreciate it. If I isolate, the memory won't function properly and I'd have to reset with every use (setting color, brightness etc. ). I'd like to stay dialed in where I last set it. My dad has his set up on Yamaha Super Tenure without any issues. I think the new LED systems draw a very minimal amount. I might chance it for the benefit of the memory... thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Didn't think about the memory in the system. That would need to be always on to keep that then. Just be sure you have a battery tender or other battery maintainer pigtail also installed just in case. :)
The battery in the CTX is smaller than many bikes of similar size. Don't know how long it will last if you let it sit more than a day with an additional continuous draw. (there is already very minimal draw for the clock and other systems on the bike)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@bob good call I should add one when I'm in there. What do you recommend? Is there one specific to this bike?

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
There is not one specific to this bike.
The Battery Tender is one brand/model that is popular. I use the Accumate battery maintainer. (the photo shows the old connector that I have but the description says it has the SAE connector now). Be sure it's not simply a charger but has a programmed sequence to properly keep a battery maintained. Usually there is a 3 step program the device goes through. There are other maintainers out there but those are two I know of. I've used mine on all my bikes since 2004 and it's still going. The big difference is that simple chargers push a fixed output until you disconnect the charger. There is a chance to overcharge the battery. Maintainers automatically run through their programmed sequence to first quickly bring the battery up to a certain level, then feed it at a consistent rate for a fixed time, then push a top off charge to ensure all cells are equalized, and then it auto shuts off to avoid overcharging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lights added

My husband added pink LED accent lights to my black CTX1300d. Because of the blacked out look, there is not a lot of chrome to reflect off of but I think they look awesome. He hooked them up to the license plate light so that they are off when the bike is off preventing any draining of the battery.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts