CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. Though I had started the motorcycle once a month to recharge the battery, with the brutally cold weather in Connecticut, my battery is now dead. I figured out how to remove the plastic rivets for the battery cover, but the cover has a snap lock mechanism with the left side plastic fairing. Is there a trick to unsnapping the plastic battery cover from the plastic fairing, without breaking the male side of the snap assembly attached to the fairing?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
If I may be so bold, could we get one of you guys that has done this a few times to just post a video of the removal. Due to previous posts about the tab breaking, accessing the battery for accessories, and general do-it-yourselfing, this seems to be an area of concern for many new owners......
I do my own maintenance, but I'm known for breaking tupperware:confused:

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
Don't have a video but I think it's not too difficult to describe. There are actually 2 tabs that the cover snaps into. The female tabs on the middle fairing can be separated from the male tabs using a standard blade screwdriver or small pry tool. Start with the tab closer to the small storage pocket and slip the tool under the cover from the pocket edge. Should be able to lift the edge just enough to see what's happening under it. twist the tool between the cover pin and the tab to separate the two. Then for the front tab insert the tool about midway along the outer edge of the cover to do the same there. There is also an interlocking tab on the front of the battery cover just at the bottom of the speaker cover so carefully disengage that after lifting the cover out of the other tabs. I've removed the cover a few times this way with no issues (even when I still had the broken tab was able to remove the cover without breaking the rear tab more). After a few times doing this it becomes more easily done without issues.

Hope this helps some.

· Premium Member
1,160 Posts
I suggest applying some heat to the area before proceeding with the tab. Just enough to warm it to room temp. O/W the "brutally cold" will enhance the chance of snapping that tab.

Reactions: bob

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
I would agree if the temps are cold out. Just be careful on how you apply heat. I use a parabolic heating unit in my unheated garage for winter maintenance. I place it about 3 ft away to be sure not to cause hot spots that could warp or crack the plastic from too much too fast. I let it run for 15-20 mins to warm up things gradually.

· Registered
51 Posts
I had to replace my battery and it went smoothly. Don't overthink it. The video from @menosabe was all I needed. Read on another thread here (sorry, can't remember who) to not push the clips too far in. Use the flat-head screwdriver to push it in slightly and it should go smoothly.

· Registered
7 Posts
I need to replace my battery. I saw you had replaced yours. I removed the top cover above the battery with no problem. As I look at the battery, the opening to remove the battery is smaller then the battery size. I do not want to force the battery out by bending the plastic body. How were you able to get the battery out from this small opening? Thanks.
GaryK

· Registered
1,185 Posts
I need to replace my battery. I saw you had replaced yours. I removed the top cover above the battery with no problem. As I look at the battery, the opening to remove the battery is smaller then the battery size. I do not want to force the battery out by bending the plastic body. How were you able to get the battery out from this small opening? Thanks.
GaryK
The plastics will flex without damage and you can gently pull the original battery out.
I replaced it with a smaller lithium one.

Reactions: djrose007
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.