CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got my center stand, rear carrier, back rest, and touring windscreen installed. Didn't have time to get a ride in to test the windscreen, but from the reports I've read on this Forum it should work just fine. I was surprised at how small the rear carrier is with the back rest installed. Don't think you can put much luggage back there. However, since I ride solo I will probably just use the pillion seat for any extra luggage I may need on a longer trip. I don't think I'll add the Top Box to this bike because I like the way it looks now. Besides I got all of the above accessories for less money than it would've cost to just add the Top Box.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Sounds like @revdan is ready for some trippin.....
Do you already have luggage for fitting on the pillion seat?
Do I hear a hint of a multiple day trip being planned already?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I do not have any luggage for fitting on the pillion seat yet. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Since I had the Top Box, side cases, and frunk on the NC 700x I traded for the CTX, I had more than enough storage space. Now I'm looking for options. The side cases on the CTX are only 6 liters larger than the NC's and I don't intend to get the Top Box for the CTX. Yes, I'm planning a week long trip for sometime this summer. I will probably ride up into Washington and then head over toward Montana. Exact route will come once I get on the bike. Why limit oneself to a pre-set route when you don't actually know where the next road might take you.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
No, I do not have any luggage for fitting on the pillion seat yet. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Since I had the Top Box, side cases, and frunk on the NC 700x I traded for the CTX, I had more than enough storage space. Now I'm looking for options. The side cases on the CTX are only 6 liters larger than the NC's and I don't intend to get the Top Box for the CTX. Yes, I'm planning a week long trip for sometime this summer. I will probably ride up into Washington and then head over toward Montana. Exact route will come once I get on the bike. Why limit oneself to a pre-set route when you don't actually know where the next road might take you.
I had a barrel-shaped duffle bag that I used on a 5-day trip on a ST1300 some years back that worked very well. I'm going to guess it was somewhere around 30" long and maybe 14-16" around and fit everything I needed, with a few accessories and spare shoes and stuff in the side bags. I used a bungy web to hold it down sideways on the passenger seat, where it alao served as a nice backrest.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
You'll have to report on your impressions of the tall screen.
I was also thinking of adding the luggage rack/rear carrier but not the backrest since my wife doesn't want to ride with me. I don't mind that it's not as big as some homemade racks I've seen since I'll only need it to supplement what's on the pillion. I also don't intend to add the top case/trunk since I also like the way the bike looks without that.

I just received a Kwik Tek Dry Pak roll top dry bag from Amazon for Christmas last year and am looking forward to using it for the coming moto camping season. It's about 103 liters closed, I got the X-Large. About the same size as @sleepngbear 's duffel bag at 30"x15"x14" for size. Less than $50 for the same quality (per my inspection) as the $150 bags I've seen others use that are a bit smaller. This one has a rigid bottom tray that helps sitting on the pillion and would also help if extended over the luggage rack. I'll be packing everything that goes inside the tent in this bag. I have a smaller Sea-to-Summit duffel dry bag for my tent and tarp to keep that gear from getting the other stuff wet and so I can get the tent/tarp out in the rain without opening the bigger bag. I plan to only have these 2 bags on the back of the bike when traveling. I will be packing tools, rain gear, a cook set, and other misc stuff in the paniers.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
No, I do not have any luggage for fitting on the pillion seat yet. Any suggestions will be appreciated. <snip>Exact route will come once I get on the bike. Why limit oneself to a pre-set route when you don't actually know where the next road might take you.
I've seen a few riders with this bag and have it on my wish list:
Nelson-Rigg (SE-2005-BLK) Black Medium Adventure Dry Bag
http://goo.gl/mzSVMN

I like the way you travel, a destination without a route. My brother and I travel likewise. I wonder where that road goes or that looks like a good road, ok, let's take it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts