CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there is a accessory terminal on the CTX1300 I don't really want to connect any accessories directly to the battery.
My Wing had a fused terminal alongside the bank of fuses,I have looked around the fuse terminals and can't see anything.
Thanks if you can help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am using one from EC mounted under seat. Lewis made me a longer power wire that runs from the batt to plate under seat.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I haven't found a separate terminal/plug for just ACC and don't think this bike has one. There is, however, a plug or two that does have ACC wired to it/them. I used the front option plug to get ACC to run my Gerbing controller and GPS. Both of these items are very low power so I wasn't worried about overloading the circuit.

Normally I am very much against getting power for anything I add from the factory wiring on any bike since there is a significant risk to the factory electronics and factory wiring is designed just the right size for what the factory intends to plug in on those circuits. In all my previous bikes including my GW I only used ACC to trigger a relay to turn on power for an isolated fuse block powered directly from the battery. This is the best way to power added electrical stuff.

Having said that, on this bike there is a little bit of difference. Since there are a few spare plugs and circuits built into this bike that are for some factory options I don't intend to add I am taking the liberty of using those plugs/circuits for my own devices, as mentioned above. I am taking into consideration the power load allowed on those circuits and what is needed by the stuff I add. The items I mention above are plugged directly into the ACC and ground found in the front option plug and you can see some detail HERE on that. I also used the factory provided 12v 10amp connector under the seat for my 12v socket in the right saddlebag. Since that one is only 10amp and I have a mini air compressor for emergency tire repair that requires at least 15amp I also added my own 12v 15amp socket under the seat for those emergencies. This second socket is plugged directly into the battery. The only reason I am powering these few items from the factory connections is that they are provided with fuses already and I won't be using them for anything else, and what I've added will not present any more electrical load than the factory option intended for those connections. I won't be adding anything else to these connections also. But I might modify the front option plug so it is ONLY providing a trigger for a relay on a future aux fuse block and then I'd move my GPS and Gerbing wires to that fuse block.

See information in the Visitor Messages in my profile for information on obtaining the pins for the factory plugs. Since these are weather sealed plugs there are "dummy" plugs on the unused side of the connector to seal out weather. These dummy plugs are actually real plugs, just without the pins. So adding the right pins allows you to use the factory plugs as is for your own purposes. Also see my Flickr photos (link HERE or in signature) for more photos and detail in the photo notes on all of this such as where the front option plug is located, where the factory provided 12v 10amp plug is located, etc.

When I get around to adding the flashing brake light LED bar I'll be making a plug-n-play splice to go between the plugs for the rear light assembly to tap off a trigger for a relay to control the LED bar. Again, power will come,most likely, directly from the battery or added aux fuse block. Don't be afraid to get power from the battery. I keep my connections there to a minimum by using 12ga wire from the battery to an inline fuse holder and then to an aux fuse block that I add and take power from that, usually, for accessories as I mentioned before. Anything else electrical that I might add to this bike will be done from an added aux fuse block in this fashion. For ground connections I usually just use a common household ground block that has many connections. I use a 12ga wire from ground on the battery to that ground block.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask if any other questions.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aux terminal

I haven't found a separate terminal/plug for just ACC and don't think this bike has one. There is, however, a plug or two that does have ACC wired to it/them. I used the front option plug to get ACC to run my Gerbing controller and GPS. Both of these items are very low power so I wasn't worried about overloading the circuit.

Normally I am very much against getting power for anything I add from the factory wiring on any bike since there is a significant risk to the factory electronics and factory wiring is designed just the right size for what the factory intends to plug in on those circuits. In all my previous bikes including my GW I only used ACC to trigger a relay to turn on power for an isolated fuse block powered directly from the battery. This is the best way to power added electrical stuff.

Having said that, on this bike there is a little bit of difference. Since there are a few spare plugs and circuits built into this bike that are for some factory options I don't intend to add I am taking the liberty of using those plugs/circuits for my own devices, as mentioned above. I am taking into consideration the power load allowed on those circuits and what is needed by the stuff I add. The items I mention above are plugged directly into the ACC and ground found in the front option plug and you can see some detail HERE on that. I also used the factory provided 12v 10amp connector under the seat for my 12v socket in the right saddlebag. Since that one is only 10amp and I have a mini air compressor for emergency tire repair that requires at least 15amp I also added my own 12v 15amp socket under the seat for those emergencies. This second socket is plugged directly into the battery. The only reason I am powering these few items from the factory connections is that they are provided with fuses already and I won't be using them for anything else, and what I've added will not present any more electrical load than the factory option intended for those connections. I won't be adding anything else to these connections also. But I might modify the front option plug so it is ONLY providing a trigger for a relay on a future aux fuse block and then I'd move my GPS and Gerbing wires to that fuse block.

See information in the Visitor Messages in my profile for information on obtaining the pins for the factory plugs. Since these are weather sealed plugs there are "dummy" plugs on the unused side of the connector to seal out weather. These dummy plugs are actually real plugs, just without the pins. So adding the right pins allows you to use the factory plugs as is for your own purposes. Also see my Flickr photos (link HERE or in signature) for more photos and detail in the photo notes on all of this such as where the front option plug is located, where the factory provided 12v 10amp plug is located, etc.

When I get around to adding the flashing brake light LED bar I'll be making a plug-n-play splice to go between the plugs for the rear light assembly to tap off a trigger for a relay to control the LED bar. Again, power will come,most likely, directly from the battery or added aux fuse block. Don't be afraid to get power from the battery. I keep my connections there to a minimum by using 12ga wire from the battery to an inline fuse holder and then to an aux fuse block that I add and take power from that, usually, for accessories as I mentioned before. Anything else electrical that I might add to this bike will be done from an added aux fuse block in this fashion. For ground connections I usually just use a common household ground block that has many connections. I use a 12ga wire from ground on the battery to that ground block.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask if any other questions.
Wow THAT is a comprehensive description,my bike is a UK spec,and has heated grips,all I wanted to do was connect in my sat nav and phone,it looks as if I will have to get an extension lead from the power socket under the seat.
Thanks again for a detailed reply.
Cheers Melv (UK)

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
The heated grips connectors are also unused for the USA models but the plugs are there. The right heated grip plug is in the same holder as the front option plug. It is the upper connector in the holder and the front option connector is the lower one.

·
Registered
446 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts